PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Engraving plexi for Edge-lit designs; Proper bits, settings?

Harpy
01-30-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm planning to engrave vector-based line drawings into plexi using my school's CNC router for two purposes: 1) to make edge-lit plexi displays, and 2) for printmaking (inking up intaglio style).

I'm looking for a suitable bit that will engrave as shallow and narrow as possible. The bit that I found in the MSC catalog is a conical carbide router bit:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=05479159
(image is attached to post)

This will be my first time using a CNC router and I'm already intimidated by the prospects of bits breaking, plastic melting, etc... so if you have any suggestions or advice about proper bits, router speed, materials (esp for edge-lighting!) please let me know!

-mike

MICA
10-18-2008, 07:47 AM
I too would like to know the answer.
Also any special cutting fluid to use to help the finish ?

d.dixson
10-19-2008, 07:22 AM
I have used windex with very good results. You must have higher feed rates in order to keep chips from welding themselves back onto the groove, but with small details usually associated with engraving, its not practical and sometimes will cause my machine to loose steps. Windex keeps things lubricated, disepates heat and doesn't bother plexi. I hope you find this helpful.

Doug

beone
10-19-2008, 10:41 PM
dishwashing detergent liquid is also a good lubricant