PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! dxf to g-code?

skipper
01-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Hi All,

I am a newbie to CNC and to SolidCAM. I am very familar with SolidWorks and use solidworks and that is why I am using solidcam. I will be using solidcam for my Rockcliff router/mill I have been going through the "help" in the software to learn how to use it. I gives me option for milling and turning but how do I convert a dxf filled to g-code? I am trying to start off by learning 2D before the 3D. I have not actually cut anything yet on my machine. I am using Mach3 and it comes with a few g-coded program that I ran and using a pen in the machine, trace the program. In the shared files section of this site, most of the programs are in dxf, how to I convert them to g-code in solidworks?

Thanks,
skipper

ger21
01-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I gives me option for milling and turning but how do I convert a dxf filled to g-code?

Just a guess, but I'd say that maybe you can't. Since it's a CAM package designed to mill solidworks models in Solidworks, why would it need to convert 2D .dxf's to g-code?

Hopefully someone who knows can give you an answer.

ppsi
01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Skipper-

ppsi
01-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Skipper- I am also interested in using Solidcam to create g-code for mach - please let us know how this goes....as for your question, can you import the DXF into a sketch, the cut (or extrude) the dxf file? This will create a 2-1/2D model which I would think solidcam should be capable of processing. Please keep us updated.

Brakeman Bob
01-29-2008, 03:13 AM
I have to make 2D code from DWG's from time to time; this is what I do.

Put the geometry for the toolpath on its own layer.

In SolidWorks, open the DWG (or the DXF) and tick the option "import sketch into new part" (or some such, I can't remember precisely). Then select only the layer on which your geometry lies (and remember to select the correct units for import - I nearly always forget that!). Then finish the import. You now have a sketch in SolidWorks on which you can progran SolidCAM. SolidCAM doesn't need a solid to generate tool path. Just go "New CAM part".

However, what I do to finish off is align the sketch with the SW part origin correctly and then copy the sketch into my existing SolidCAM CAM part, adjusting for the plane on which the sketch lies after pasting.

Good luck