PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With This File

Mastercam User
01-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I would like to drill a hole in the front of this part. I created a new coordinate system but it still wants to drill from the old coordinate system. Not sure why? I uploaded the file I am having problems with here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5iytmkwenl2

chmillman
01-13-2008, 05:00 PM
OK, you were able to create the coordinate system, but you still need to make it active. this takes two things: First, make sure your coordinate system is set to "View" not "world" - it's one of the buttons the Main 2 toolbar. Then, you also need to activate the coordinate system by clicking the CView button, and either typing the number of your new CView (9) and enter, or just double clicking on it in the dialog that opens.

All subsequent ops you do will be from this CView until you change it again. --ch

Mastercam User
01-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Got it. Thanks, CH.

Now how can I make my named view the new top view? I think I saw someone once translate a named view between views so it became the new top view but I do not know how to do or if I have this exactly right. I cannot find anything in the help file on how to do this.

chmillman
01-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Depends on what version you're using... I don't remember at what version it started, but there is a button in the same toolbar as the View/CView buttons, that switches between the "global" setup of views and the "view relative" setup.

What it means is that with the global (World) setting active, everything is always referenced to World Top (View 1), whereas in relative (View) active, the active CView is considered to be top, and all other views are then relative to it. --ch

Cammotion
01-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Got it. Thanks, CH.

Now how can I make my named view the new top view? I think I saw someone once translate a named view between views so it became the new top view but I do not know how to do or if I have this exactly right. I cannot find anything in the help file on how to do this.

MCU,

Surfcam's default views are numbered 1 through 8. I believe it's the same for Mastercam, but I could be wrong. 1 is top, 2 is front, 3 is back, 4 is bottom, 5 is right side, 6 is left side, 7 is isometric and 8 is axiometric. You can switch between the views by hitting Ctrl[number], and you will get the corresponding view depending on which number you used.

Now in the first picture, you see the greyed arrow in the red rectangle, and your view is the active one. If you cycle through the views in that setting, you get the afore mentioned views, but relative to the system top view.

Next, as mentioned before, double-click on your view (number nine, which the system assigned because it was the next number available) to make it the active view. Now, click on that grey arrow and it will turn blue. Your view becomes the default view, and the control key combos will cycle the different views relative to your view. The second pic is the isometric relative to your view 9. Hope this clears it up for you.

Mastercam User
01-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Depends on what version you're using... I don't remember at what version it started, but there is a button in the same toolbar as the View/CView buttons, that switches between the "global" setup of views and the "view relative" setup.

What it means is that with the global (World) setting active, everything is always referenced to World Top (View 1), whereas in relative (View) active, the active CView is considered to be top, and all other views are then relative to it. --ch

Once again you were very helpful. Thank you very much, CH! I think I like this better than translating the geometry to where you want it.

Mastercam User
01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
MCU,

Next, as mentioned before, double-click on your view (number nine, which the system assigned because it was the next number available) to make it the active view. Now, click on that grey arrow and it will turn blue. Your view becomes the default view, and the control key combos will cycle the different views relative to your view. The second pic is the isometric relative to your view 9. Hope this clears it up for you.

Thanks for the extra detail. I was told at work you need to translate the geometry between views. From what I can now tell this is unnecessary.

chmillman
01-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I was told at work you need to translate the geometry between views. From what I can now tell this is unnecessary.

Absolutely. I have been doing multiple side setups for years using view coordinates - it is way better than moving your geometry, and once you get the hang of it you will never go back. Plus your part is always where you left it... You move around the part instead of moving the part around. I am always surprised at how many people don't know how to do this or are afraid to try. You do need to thoroughly understand how your CAM system works though. And some CAM systems make it difficult if not impossible to work this way. --ch

sinderal
01-16-2008, 04:07 AM
For your ref:

Should create New CView for 3 , 4 and 6 when you are using 4 axis Indexing!
Especially you are using MPost!

enri
01-22-2008, 10:53 PM
How can I cut an .stl file with surfcam? is there a way?
sorry I think I posted in the wrong place Im trying to delet it
but I don't know how.

chmillman
01-23-2008, 03:10 AM
Short answer: you can't. Surfcam is one of the few remaining CAM programs that cannot machine on meshes. About all you can do with an stl in Surfcam is use it as a rough block for a simulation. --ch

enri
01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Thank You very much