PDA

View Full Version : VFD Help

rodzilla
12-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Has anybody ever heard of AC Tech model ESV152N02YXB VFD Drive. I am looking to put a vfd on my machine but am having trouble selecting the right one for CNC application due to my lack of knowledge in this area could someone please tell me if this vfd will work or if they know a different vfd that will work?

Al_The_Man
12-28-2007, 10:07 AM
What is the motor spec's that you are trying to control? 3ph voltage? HP etc.
Al.

rodzilla
12-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I haven't got a motor yet but i'm looking at 2HP 3 Phase motor, Input to the Feq drive will be 220V Single Phase output will be 220V 3 Phase have you ever heard of or is anybody currently using the model that i have listed below as the tech says it should work but he is not sure about starting and stopping the spindle and controling rpm by CNC Controller as he has never done this with this particular unit. The tech said it shouldn't be a problem. If i can't control it through Mach3 then manually will not be a problem as long as i don't have to keep messing around with belts and pulleys

Al_The_Man
12-28-2007, 12:51 PM
This model does show it will accept 1 phase in with no mention of de-rated on 1ph, It has a +-10v analogue signal for control so you would need a PWM to analogue convertor for Mach, there are previous links here for a convertor.
Unless you used the keypad or external pot.
Al.

rodzilla
12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I followed you up until pwm could you please explain what you mean by this last part as i am a complete novice with this vfd stuff

Al_The_Man
12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Mach outputs a spindle control that is PWM, Pulse Width Modulated, which does what it sounds like, varies the width of a DC pulse to indicate the degree of speed in this case, for more info you can go to the Mach site or Google PWM to get more info on this, there is a couple of optional input types on the VFD but the most common to use is the analog signal that is effectively the same as using a manual potentiometer (variable resistor).
The conversion takes the PWM signal and converts to the analog recognized by the VFD.
AFAIK there is no VFD at present that takes a PWM signal, so whatever type you get, you are pretty much faced with the same situation.
It is nice to be able to control by a CNC Sxxxx code rather than manual Control.
Al.