PDA

View Full Version : Tig welding certification

Janos
12-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Were do you get the aircraft tig welding certification for 4130 chromoly?

Thanks

Madclicker
12-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I got my first one in welding school in '74. The employer always paid for the tests after I started working. I guess you could pay a testing lab to certify you. Trouble with that is it's a procedure qualified certification and may not apply to the job you want to get.

At least, if you have some kind of cert. they might be inclined to pay for the test.

mxtras
12-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Every company and sometimes every job is different. Even if you are certified with AWS, it might not be applicable or credible to those requiring the certification.

The best option if you don't want to waste a bunch of time and money is to speak to the weldors in your area that are doing such work or speak to the shop you are attempting to work for and find out exactly what certs they require. They will be your best avenue for accurate information.

You can have 50 different certs in welding and not be allowed to weld in a shop until you pass their specific tests. Sometimes, you have to test for a single job even if you are certified by your employer. A lot of time and a lot of cash is spent certifying.

Scott

Janos
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
I was asking more along the lines as to where the employer might aquire the test parts. I have already gotten my 4130 cluster joint cert back in '99 but there a couple guys in the shop that want to get their paper too. I just never asked my previous employer where the pieces came from.

mxtras
12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Your welding supply house should be able to get you in touch with the AWS certifier in your area, or check with a vocational school in your area.

Scott

Madclicker
12-20-2007, 02:52 AM
I was asking more along the lines as to where the employer might aquire the test parts. I have already gotten my 4130 cluster joint cert back in '99 but there a couple guys in the shop that want to get their paper too. I just never asked my previous employer where the pieces came from.

Getting the "pieces" is a trivial part of the process. In order for the "guys to get their paper" the shop has to qualify the process. That's the first step. I assume the place you work doesn't do aircraft fabrication or repair.

Janos
12-20-2007, 05:51 AM
I assume the place you work doesn't do aircraft fabrication or repair.

That's a big 10-4, but we do build car for dragracing that have been pushed down the quarter mile in mid to low 5 sec. range. NHRA rules do apply that states the welding should be done by a compitent welder. And in this day and time people will try to sue you even after the fact that they signed a waiver holding you harmless, even if they do something stupid. We are just trying to cover the backside.

Janos
12-26-2007, 10:03 AM
:wave:Thanks anyhow for all input.

petriej
12-26-2007, 11:56 AM
The best place to get a certification like this is in the USAF. It is imperative that your joints be superb when you weld aircraft parts that are put into/on a vehicle pulling many many G's with a lot of vibration.