PDA

View Full Version : osp700m operation

GEARHEAD73
11-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm trying to help someone who is new to CNC and has a Cadet VMC with the OSP700m control. I've run a variety of VMC's in the past, but never an Okuma. My questions: They claim the machine doesn't need zero returning at start-up. Is this true? How do I get the control set-up so when they touch off their TLO's, they are the actual tool lengths. The machine should know what the distance is between the gage line of the spindle and the table top, so when I touch off tools, it can calculate their length. Where on the control would I find the machine position (not the workholding position)? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Jarwalcot
11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
See if this helps: http://www.homestead.com/mtstechbulletins/zerooffset.html

broby
11-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Yep, Okuma machines do not have to be zero returned on powerup! These machines have absolute encoders and thus know where they are at all times!
The machine position should be co-ordinate system 0 (zero) ie G15 H0
I have not ever tried setting tool length offset by touching off the table, as I am fortunate enough to have both a Digital Tool Presetter (external to the machine) and also an Optical Presetter, the machining centres we have also have tool length gauging built in! Works darn great! However that does not answer your question...
One idea you might find will do the trick is to establish your zeroset surface by whatever means you currently employ, and then touch the tool to the same surface and on the Tool Data page select the tool and press the Calculate button and key in the Z axis position that the tool is at, I beleive this should then give you the correct tool lenght offset.
If you really need to access the Machines Zero set position, have a look in the parameters screen for a "System" parameters page, there will be a page that lists it there. Mind you, thinking about it a bit, it might also be displayed on the Zeroset page if you look. Can not remember of the top of the head!
Some times this information is locked away from the general user to prevent accidental changes (and we all know how easy it is to do this, don't we?!?!) On our Okuma MC600HB OSP5020M controller, I have to set Bit 7 on number 16 to 1 to get this information to display, then changing modes will end up resetting this bit back to 0 again! There is another bit parameter that will "hold" this to 1 but the info is at work...
Let me know it this helps at all, If I can assist with anything else post a question!
Cheers
Brian.