PDA

View Full Version : Gecko System With Mach 2.6

racear*2865
11-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Have a Mill fitted with Gecko drives and system and run by Mach 3 2.6. Question: when all powered down and if move any axis. Upon power up doesn't know where it is. Is this normal or am I doing something terribly wrong. Have two other systems with different drives and software that remembers where it is. Loop is closed. I do not think the Mach3?Gecko is closed or I dont know what to look for or set up.
racear

ger21
11-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Mach3 has no way of knowing where you're moving it to.

racear*2865
11-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Gerry
I think you just made me get another beer maybe a six pack. Ok if Mach dont know where I'm going, can it miss an encoder count and me not know it. By the way, thanks for the screen help. You were dead on what for me to do. And thanks for chiming in here on this.
racear

jhowelb
11-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Each time you shut Mach down and restart you will have to tell Mach where the axes are located.
You can install home switches but you will still need to set zeros on whatever project you are putting on the table.
I've worked on some huge commercial mills and they are no different.
The bottom line is that the machine is stupid so you will have to do the thinking! :-)

anoel
11-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Mach3 and Gecko setup is actually an open loop system. there is no encoder feedback to Mach 3. The loop is only closed at the Gecko... the drive turns the motor and recives feed back from the encoder and it keeps applying power to the motor until the encoder count is what is expected, if not then it faults. You're other systems are using a closed loop all the way to the software, probably utilizing a linear scale like you would find on a DRO. That's how those systems are able to track table position after movement with the system off.

ajdcnc
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM
I have been using Mach3 with DenverCNC controlerfor a year.it is always loose step and when I generated toolpaths raster cut at any angle A(0<A<90degree) the movement make too noise.Any suggestions please help.:confused::confused: