PDA

View Full Version : Chess Pawn

DroopyPawn
11-16-2007, 11:37 PM
How would I go about milling a pair of sides for a 2-sided mold for chess pieces? Right now, just a pawn for example. I know that chess pieces would ideally be turned on a lathe but I'd like to create molds for plaster.

ConKbot of Doom
11-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Rather then milling, could you make a positive, then use silicone, or some other castable compound to make your negitive mold? That way, if you can make your part, you can make your mold.

LeeWay
11-18-2007, 07:10 AM
If you just want to pour your own chess pieces, you can pick up a set of ceramic molds that have all the pieces included. They are intended to be used with ceramic slips and the pieces then fired.

If you do a one off on a lathe, it is easy to make a mold from that. Then you can pour multiple pieces. Your final poured material will tell you what the mold needs to be made of.

DroopyPawn
11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
I know that it can be done with silicone/plastic. I'll be trying that too from my positives.

I already have some ceramic chess molds and I'll be using them. But those pieces are already created. I want to do some of my own design - stuff that's not available anywhere else. I think I can draw the parts in CAD, but I think they're too detailed to write my own CNC with normal effort.

James Hughes
12-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I think one question is what CAM software are you using? Another would be are you trying to design some 3-D soldier style or more traditional? I believe the normal amount of effort on the soldier style would be complex regardless, leading me to believe you're going more traditional. MasterCAM would simplify the pocketing, but on a traditional style I don't really see where the complications come in.

DroopyPawn
12-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I'd like molds for the normal Staunton pieces. Plus, I want some other pieces. Knight with a Bishop hat, Knight with a Rook hat, and Knight with a Queen hat.

I've made a few of these from sets that I've bought but I'd rather not have to buy sets to make sets.