PDA

View Full Version : 3 hp motor

QSIMDO
11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
What would be the problem with using a 3hp (3450) motor rather than 2 ?

Is it an issue of torque tearing things up?

I have a freebie coming my way but usually get bit in the butt by such frugality.

No sense smoking my gears just to save a few bucks on this end.

sandefuj
11-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm running a 3 HP motor on my IH. I have about 100 hours cutting time on my machine now. I also was not sure if 3 HP was a good idea or not, but I decided if I blew up my gear train, that would be a good excuse to convert to belt drive and an ISO 30 spindle instead of an R8 spindle. I cut aluminum 99 percent of the time, with my spindle speed at max 3200, and so far so good.

philbur
11-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Your only real risk is ripping off a couple of gear teeth if you actually use the extra horsepower, or more accurately if you use the extra torque. So the lowest gear will be the risk area. 2 to 3 hp is not really that bigger jump. If you want to include a variable drive later the 3 hp will be an advantage.

Fit the 3 hp and just be a little cautious with really aggressive cuts at the lowest rev range.

Phil

What would be the problem with using a 3hp (3450) motor rather than 2 ?

Is it an issue of torque tearing things up?

I have a freebie coming my way but usually get bit in the butt by such frugality.

No sense smoking my gears just to save a few bucks on this end.

QSIMDO
11-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for responding.
Is yours a 3 ph with VFD?
My prize is a single ph hence my concern for whacking the drive train on starts.
A VFD with soft start would be ideal.
What setup do you have?

QSIMDO
11-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Thank you as well, philbur.
Didn't see you there.
I'm not given to full, deep cuts anyway.
Got lot's of time and no need to rush. Strictly manual.
Just don't like putting things at risk if not necessary.

Runner4404spd
11-13-2007, 09:08 PM
i've been running a 3hp single phase motor on my IH mill since i got it two years ago. since then i've cut titanium, steel, aluminum, etc. heavy cuts and light cuts and no problems here. my motor upgrade was a 56c motor, if you do a search i made an adapter plate to mount it in place of the metric motor.

sandefuj
11-13-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm using a VFD on mine.