PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for IH Mill

ProGunOne
11-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Howdy Gents, I've been looking for some ideas on building a mobile base for the IH Mill. I did a search and was unable to reply for some reason? It would be great to see what ideas or set-ups you fellows have devised. I have access to some 2" square tubing and was considering building one identical to Bob Warfields but would really like the mobile option. I have limited shop space and would like to be able to move if needed. My idea is some threaded rod at each corner with feet that could be retracted to roll if needed, then screwed back down and re-leveled. Anybody care to share some ideas with pictures please??

davo727
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Heres a pic when I was working on my mill that shows my stand. I know its not an IH. Anyway the stand I built has wheels on the back 2 legs and pads on the front. I put a crossmember low across the front to allow me to pick up the front with a floor jack and roll the mill around the garage. It works very well.

georgebarr
11-13-2007, 01:07 AM
davo727,

What are the dimensions of the square tubing used to build your stand (please include the width and thickness and what material)? I will be ordering a IH CNC Turnkey myself in about a month and am planning to build a stand with an enclosure.

Thanks,

davo727
11-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Hi , The tubing is 2in x 1.5 in .120 wall. Mild steel . Mig welded together. The crossbars that the mill sits on are set so the 2 inch thickness is vertical so its stiffer that way. This stand is super solid for my mill with no flex but The IH is heavier so you might add some diagonal braces or gussets. I am planning on adding a tray and enclosure on mine also.

IHCNC
11-14-2007, 04:16 AM
Hi Guys;
Here is a pic of our prototype that we built a few months back. It is the same as what we are selling now, but without the grinding and paint. It is 2"x2" x.185 wall on the top and on the caster extensions and 2"x2" x.095 on the legs and supports. Adjustable feet lock it level and in place. Works great. The stands are available with or without casters and keyboard-monitor tray. It's on the web site. Click on CNC pic for more info.
http://industrialhobbies.com/stand.jpg

phil c
01-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Here is a pic of the one I built. 2.5 in tubing , 3/16 in. wall. The top and bottom are 28 in. square with mitered corners. The verticals are 20 in. The local steel supplier cut all the pieces for $25. The castors are 350lb. Harbor Freight cheapies. We did the welding at the shop where my son works, he was looking for the practice. Total cost came to about $200.

QSIMDO
01-16-2008, 05:03 PM
This is the base I built for mine and I had intended to build a framework with casters to fit in the open ends of the bottom tubes but if I moved it I'd have to wire in another 220 socket.
Besides, where would I go?
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1093172/Picture212resized.jpg