PDA

View Full Version : geoff williams

tonykat
11-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi, I am following the build instructions for controller boards in the book, cnc robotics by geoff williams, but need help.
First, I am not sure of the conections between the interface and the controller boards,I think they go to jp3, but don't know.
Next, power supply, he uses two pc psu's of 12v each, one to power the boards and motors on the y and z axis the other for x board and motor plus a fan, the book been a few years old, would one 400w psu do it all.
Thanks
Tony

watkins8014
11-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi, I am following the build instructions for controller boards in the book, cnc robotics by geoff williams, but need help.
First, I am not sure of the conections between the interface and the controller boards,I think they go to jp3, but don't know.
Next, power supply, he uses two pc psu's of 12v each, one to power the boards and motors on the y and z axis the other for x board and motor plus a fan, the book been a few years old, would one 400w psu do it all.
Thanks
Tony

Been trying to fathom wiring of these control/ driver boards myself. Was hoping you wouldn't mind helping a poor frustrated hair pulling toerag get the better of them,do you have by any chance a wiring diagram? Please

tonykat
11-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Hi, thought I would have another look at how to wire up these drivers and have come up with the following, which I would like someone who knows more than me about it, to tell me where, if, I am going wrong please.
JP1 –power- pin1circuit v, pin4 motor v, ground pins 2 & 3, ground for the circuit volt and the motor joined together?
JP2 – chopper control- jumper pins 2 & 3 on two boards and 1 & 2 on one board.
JP3 –step and direction- pin 1 step, pin 2 direction, pin 3 sync (join all sync wires together), pin 4 ground (which ground, one or both?).
JP4- half/full step- half step jumper 3 & 2, full step jumper 1 & 2, (which should I use)
JP5- control- low or high chopper, which pins to jumper?
Hope these questions don’t seem too daft, I am new to this.
Thank you
Tony

vtxstar
01-14-2008, 09:20 AM
I hope this response is not too late as your previous was late November 2007! Were you able to sort out the schematic? JP4 has ground (earth, return) on pin 4 where the others are all on pin 3. I don't have the book but have decades of experience with electronics.

My current project is a stepper driver pcb for exercising my Kleinbauer Brute. I need to drive the thing around manually to adjust the movements.

tonykat
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi vtxstar, Thank you for your reply, I have sorted out the wiring, first board works great but just finished the second, and that only works one way!
Tony

vtxstar
01-20-2008, 10:09 PM
I picked the book after reading your post and will look it over if you need some more input on that controller circuit. He basically copied the application note suggestions and added connectors for the ins and outs.

TAB books are great, though often not too deep on theory. A true "Get'er done" source for ideas and inspiration.

tonykat
01-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi, I fixed my problem with the second board, bad joint :o, and not the sort you smoke :nono: On my third one now.
Tony

watkins8014
06-02-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm a complete novice with no electronics experience but have managed to built the same boards as you and I hope you can help I'm having trouble getting motor spindles to turn i'm using a 6 wired stepper motor which i've connected to driver boards all exept common wires black/white motors wurl when I use mach3 but still no spindle movement do I need to connect the common wires to the driver boards if so where.