PDA

View Full Version : Joe's router in Ohio.

Rooney
11-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Figured I'd start a thread. Picked up a camcorder with still photo. Not too pleased with the quality. Maybe it's just how I have it set up. Anyway, I finally finished my aluminum angle slides. So here's the photo. Actually, I think my phone takes better pictures.:confused:

Have all my fasteners and a friend is getting pipe and such. Still have to order motors and build my pc. Waiting on the kit and insulating an area in my garage to operate in.

Been following a lot of your threads.....inspiring really.

What do you think of the photo?:rainfro:

TCGliderguy
11-05-2007, 09:50 AM
What do I think of the photo? Speaking as a professional photographer for the past 30 years..... I think you should send the file to one of the digital labs that makes BIG prints.... get a 30x40 or a 40x60 made... frame it..... and take it to one of the "fine art" galleries. I suspect you could sell it for enough to pay for you machine..... :-) And I am only about half kidding.... I've seen less mysterious, less interesting images sell for a BUNCH of money.....

Good luck with your machine... and welcome to the fray!

-Taylor

Khalid
11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
haha... nice i think u r joking with us by showing those abstractart....

Nitroghost
11-05-2007, 03:03 PM
pretty dark pic but, they look good. how are you going to attach the rails to the wood? i see the holes for the bolts but after that how do you attach them? Welcome to the boards by the way. :)

Jim

Khalid
11-06-2007, 02:53 AM
BEST COMMENT OF THE WEEK:
""""What do I think of the photo? Speaking as a professional photographer for the past 30 years..... I think you should send the file to one of the digital labs that makes BIG prints.... get a 30x40 or a 40x60 made... frame it..... and take it to one of the "fine art" galleries. I suspect you could sell it for enough to pay for you machine..... :-) And I am only about half kidding.... I've seen less mysterious, less interesting images sell for a BUNCH of money.....

Good luck with your machine... and welcome to the fray!"""""""""

Rooney
11-06-2007, 09:00 AM
I think I may have that one enlarged.:)

Thanks for the replies.

Rooney

Khalid
11-06-2007, 09:16 AM
By the way Rooney, I am curious about ur bhilt and i will continue watching...

Rooney
11-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I ordered my acme, couplers, and drill rod last night. Slowly but surely building up the necessary parts.

Question..........Did most of you guys build your computers specifically for the controller or did you modify one? I'm wondering where to purchase a pc that has a parallel port and necessary hardware/software for the application.

DeWalt58
11-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi Roony, in answer to your question about computer.....I build my own computers and had a spare so used it. I think its best to have a computer just for the machine and NOT hooked up to the internet. Keep very little software on the machine, NO virus checkers etc...just your driver program, G-code files, I use Mach3 driver software, running on a 3 GIG P4 with 2 Gig memory. Less problems this way with computer, no updates from windows etc...all stays the same every time you use it. I run my CAD and SheetCam programs on another computer and transfer G-codes by 3-1/2" floppy to machine computer. So once its all set up, its always the same for me.

Cheers
dewalt58

Rooney
11-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks DeWalt58. I think that I'm going to order a barebones kit from tigerdirect. The prices seem good and I think I should be able to assemble it myself.......hopefully. :) I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. So I think I can get by with minimal cost.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Roony, in answer to your question about computer.....I build my own computers and had a spare so used it. I think its best to have a computer just for the machine and NOT hooked up to the internet. Keep very little software on the machine, NO virus checkers etc...just your driver program, G-code files, I use Mach3 driver software, running on a 3 GIG P4 with 2 Gig memory. Less problems this way with computer, no updates from windows etc...all stays the same every time you use it. I run my CAD and SheetCam programs on another computer and transfer G-codes by 3-1/2" floppy to machine computer. So once its all set up, its always the same for me.

Cheers
dewalt58

Rooney
11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Just figured out that the stepper motor mounting hole and shaft dimensions are different from supplier to supplier. What supplier is spec'd. I was going to go with keling, but not so sure now. Who did you all use?

joecnc2006
11-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Usually a nema 23 motor has the same mounting dimensions. I know all i have gotten are the same, hobbycnc, kilene etc.

where did you see them different?

Joe

Rooney
11-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Sorry....nevermind. I was using the wrong conversion factor.

Thanks,
Rooney

Rooney
11-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Last night I arrived home to find a large, HEAVY box on my front porch. HDL had not been kind to the package. None the less, Joe's packaging withstood the abuse. I now have a christmas tree sized box full of peanuts in my garage. :) Snacks for a month. haha.

Going to buy some glue tonight and start on the carriage. Will take some of my typically grainy photos as I go along.

Parts are all very nice!
Thanks Joe!
Rooney

Rooney
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Geez this is tedious.....
bought a little harbor freight drill press to insure straight holes for tapping on my hdpe.
Coming along slowly as I only have so many clamps.
-carriage done and ready for assembly along with all z parts.
-y torsion will finish gluing tonight..maybe
-one side of gantry glued and ready for priming.
-waiting on my 90 deg. clamps from harbor frieght before I do the bottom gantry and large torsion.

No photos as my wife dropped our digital and I returned the grainy photo taking camcorder. :(

Coming along nicely.......lot of work to it once you get going.

joecnc2006
12-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Yea a little work but well worth it, when you see it running.

Joe

Rooney
12-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Joe,

Just wondering, in the hdpe parts there are 3 parts cut for the 1/2-10 nut and 3 parts of the same size with the square cut that I assume is for dumpstercnc anti backlash nuts. Is this so I can choose between options or am I not seeing something in the assembly?

Thanks,
Ron

joecnc2006
12-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Yes Just incase you have the Dumpster anti-backlash nuts.

Joe

Rooney
12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks, Joe

Ron

calgrdnr
12-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Hello Joe did you happen to include the Dumpster retainer part on your drawings ? I have the dumpster Nuts and need to make retainer for them. If you already have it drawn up that makes it easy if not it will still be a breeze in Vcarve. Just thought I would ask . not going to do it to soon unless I get lost steps again

thanks Kent

joecnc2006
12-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Here ya go try the MOD section i posted them there in V-Carve format.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29977&page=3

Joe

Rooney
12-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Assembled the z carriage and router holder assembly last night. Going to finish painting the two gantry sides and y torsion tonight and glue up the bottom gantry. I've amassed a huge collection of ratchet and other styles of clamps since the start of this project. It's hard to believe how many clamps you can use in one glue up.:)

Rooney
10-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey all!
Haven't posted in a while, but I am making progress.......money permitting. I've assembled everything except putting the drive screws and nuts in. On the x-axis I'm having a little trouble getting all the bearings to touch the pipe without incuring bind. I'll try to get all the pics from my cell loaded somewhere so I can make this an actual build log. It's only been almost a year :o). Still have to buy my motors and router.
Cheers

Khalid
10-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Where are the Pics man... I would love to see ur build... just post few pics;)

Rooney
10-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Well................I got the gantry rolling smoothly and then discovered that my x axis screw holes don't line up. :( ......Now I'll have to take off one end of the torsion box, disassemble the gantry to reverse the bottom, and put it back together again. :(

Pics coming soon. :(

Sincerely,
Bummed in Ohio

Rooney
10-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, here are some pics as I promised. I did discover that my gantry was mounted 180 degrees from where it should be. But after remedying that I discovered a new issue. The first pics show some alignment problems that I am having with acme screw holes. Hopefully someone else has run into this. The third and fourth pics show the machine on it's table.

Rooney
10-22-2008, 10:09 PM
not in any particular order

joecnc2006
10-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I saw this Issue one time before, really do not know what caused it there are allot of builds but not all come out the same of course.

The solution he did If i remember right is he enlarged (redrilled the holes) to realign the bearing blocks. Then it worked fine.

Joe