PDA

View Full Version : IH Spindle Speed?

SCzEngrgGroup
10-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm considering buying an IH manual mill, and converting it to CNC. My only serious reservation (other than price, of course) is the limited spindle speed (max. 1600 RPM). Any opinions as to how much of a problem, if any, this is? My backup plan would be a Grizzly G0519 and a VFD, but that machine, while very nice, does not have the work envelope of the IH, and it also is not nearly as "beefy".

Regards,
Ray L.

Runner4404spd
10-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Ray,

i like many others have switched the motor on the IH mill and now get 3200 RPM out of the mill. the full cnc conversion that IH puts together can run up to around 4000 rpm with a vfd. so RPM really isn't a problem. i have also used a 56c motor to switch over to the higher RPM with a custom adapter plate and shaft spacer. thiw way i didn't need to spend a bunch of money on the metric higher rpm motors and get the shaft cut down.

wildcat
10-20-2007, 12:06 PM
What additional changes does IH make other than a VFD and motor that allows the full IH CNC conversion to run at 4000 RPM?

SCzEngrgGroup
10-20-2007, 06:32 PM
What additional changes does IH make other than a VFD and motor that allows the full IH CNC conversion to run at 4000 RPM?

Nothing, other than, I believe, run it in for a while. The trick seems to be that the motor is a bit of an oddball, so no off-the-shelf motor will fit without modification. One of the IH guys called me today and explained that it is a 90 series motor, but an 80 series machine (not knowing a lot about standard motor form factors, that doesn't mean a lot to me....). He indicated you could buy your own motor and VFD, but it would end up costing you just as much as buying the machine with them already installed.

SCzEngrgGroup
10-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Ray,

i like many others have switched the motor on the IH mill and now get 3200 RPM out of the mill. the full cnc conversion that IH puts together can run up to around 4000 rpm with a vfd. so RPM really isn't a problem. i have also used a 56c motor to switch over to the higher RPM with a custom adapter plate and shaft spacer. thiw way i didn't need to spend a bunch of money on the metric higher rpm motors and get the shaft cut down.

What did you end up spending on the motor and VFD? How difficult were they to adapt?

I expect in the long run, I'll want the higher speed, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra $ to buy the machine with it installed right off the bat (I do have to get it past the "budget committee" - aka the Mrs....). I'll already be spending about $4K between the machine and the parts to do the CNC conversion. If deferring the new motor and VFD for a while is viable, that's an attractive option to consider.

Runner4404spd
10-20-2007, 09:05 PM
my motor cost me about $75 off ebay. a good working baldor 3 phase motor 3400 rpm. its not a vector drive, but thats ok for me right now, as i'm keeping the gear head anyway. and the vfd cost about $240.

dnelso
10-21-2007, 09:27 PM
I installed a 90 series motor leeson 192074 $186.00. You have to turn down the shaft and re cut key way. Hitachi sj200 drive $290.00. You can over speed the motor to 75hz and get more speed.
DN

Shepard
10-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Where did you find the sj200 for $290? I can't find it for less than $350 and am looking to buy one soon. I did get my leeson 3hp for $40 off ebay though :)