PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on a revolved solid with 3 exes turning mill

IlFincoITA
10-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Hi! is it possible to 3d enrgraving on a revolved solid using turn-mill in SolidCam? See the picture for my solid example.

NexGenMfg
10-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, SolidCAM can do this.

CNCRim
10-12-2007, 01:34 AM
yes, it should work fine, will need little work though.

IlFincoITA
10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
OK thanks to all... just made some tests but I didn't get the goal. Some one could help me with the meaning of Wrap and 4th Axis and Diameter? They seems to be the problem (see pictures) the first pic is my goal and the secon pic is my operation. Thanks a lot...

IlFincoITA
10-14-2007, 04:57 AM
Here is what I've done if someone want to give it a look... The problem is the C axe in a turn-mill machine, because in a milling machine 3D engrving is very easy...and I can do it.

NexGenMfg
10-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Do you have the C-axis option for your lathe software?

IlFincoITA
10-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Do you mean the CNC-controller option in SolidCam? I've set it to xzc but the result is the same.

SolidCAM
10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
C axis wrap is designed for wrapping and unwrapping of a profile onto a cylinder. I.E. You can start with geometry already wrapped or from a flat 2d profile that will be wrapped to a cylinder. As you have seen you define the center point of the cylinder and the radius for that function. Your part is on a slight taper so you will get close but not an exact result. To do this precisely on a taper or other non cylindrical geometry you will need the 4th axis full simultaneous module. The other constraint for C axis Wrap is that the tool centerline can only pass through the center of rotation with full 4th it can be offset. So Turbine blades etc can be cut with full 4th whereas they can't with C axis 4th ( Wrap )

Checked your part and the settings you were using are correct. If this was a cylinder at 35 dia it would be perfect.

IlFincoITA
10-20-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks a lot to all. If i'm right this could be possible only on a cilinder... isn't there a different approach to angrave on this tipe of surfaces using the c axis? I don't want to use Y axis because I need the tool constraint to the revolving axis (for appereance reasons).

At present I'm programming the CNC without any CAM and with some twiks I can get the goal but it require me a couple of days... per drawing.

SolidCAM
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM
To make it a little clearer. There are 2 modules available from SolidCAM for simultaneous 4th axis motion.

1) C axis simultaneous is designed for wrapping and unwrapping of tool path based on a user defined diameter. It is a powerful module but is designed specifically to work with edges of a part or wireframe geometry, with the user defined diameter controlling the degree of wrap/unwrap. Surfaces/faces are not used.

2) Full 4th axis simultaneous works on edges, or faces/surfaces to control the range of machining passes. It must have an underlying surface/face to cut to. By orienting the surface to the tool this surface can be to the side of the tool or to the face or somewhere in between.

To precisely get the toolpath that you need to must go back to your reseller and talk to them about getting option 2.

aquatix
04-06-2009, 08:22 AM
I have the same problem,

what post processor are you using?