PDA

View Full Version : Metric version of Joe's CNC model 2006

mikethepom
10-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Does anyone have a set of DWG/DFX drawings for Joe's machine that have been converted to metric sizes ? Here in Australia the MDF are metric in thickness ? I am hoping to get the parts cut locally, with Joe's approval, but need a set of drawings to send.

I hope that someone can help.

Regards

Mike

ClaudioG
10-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi Mike

Just saw this post of yours.

I'm wanting to build a metric Joes as well but time is a major issue at the moment.

I am not aware of a full set of metric Joes plans as yet, and I was trying to convert them myself but have been struggling due to my lack of CAD skills.

In the mean time, I bought myself a small and very solid CNC machine which I will use until I have the time to build the bigger machine.

Scott in Sydney is cutting one manually and has done a great job so far. His log is here;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40699

Cheers,

Claudio

BobF
10-20-2007, 07:42 PM
If you download Joes plans in edrawing format and download the free edrawing viewer, the measure tool is active and you can choose to display measurements in inches (default), milimeters, centemeters, meters, feet, and feet and inches.
You will have to measure all the parts, but at least the program will display in whatever units you like.
edrawing is a format from Solidworks and Joe posted this with a file name of Joes_CNC_Model_2006_R-2.easm.

ClaudioG
10-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi Bob,

Viewing the drawings in metric is not the problem, it is trying to build the machine using 12mm thick MDF instead of 12.7mm (1/2"). So all slots (rebates / rabbits) will need to be changed to 12mm. You then need to think about lengths of each of the pieces to make sure they are all adjusted to suit.

What seems like a simple task on the surface, can get quite involved if you want to end up with a machine that fits together as tightly as Joes originally intended. My lack of CAD skills doesn't make it any easier, so maybe someone with CAD skills would be able to do it fairly easily.

Cheers,

Claudio

BobF
10-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Hadn't thought about that. You might ask Joe if there is an easy way to adjust this. You would still need CAD skills, but I remember a post somewhere in this vast forum about variations in the MDF he buys and having to deal with that. I believe some was dead on .50 inch and some off by maybe .03 inch. This may not be the same degree, but similar issue. You would have to adjust many areas.