PDA

View Full Version : solidcam

Phyxsius
10-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Does anyone know how to make a negative angle (undercut) in solidcam?

I`m going mad.

NexGenMfg
10-05-2007, 11:35 AM
What are you trying to do (surface undercut, slot mill?) and what type tool are you using?

Phyxsius
10-09-2007, 02:28 AM
I`m trying to do a 3Dmilling. I have an angle to make, and I don`t know how. I˙m using slot tool D70.

NexGenMfg
10-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Sorry I've been swamped with other things. I'll get back with you asap. Have you tried contacting your reseller?

SolidCAM
10-17-2007, 01:59 PM
SolidCAM's 3D module does not allow undercuts, as a function of their automatic gouge detection algorithms. Any tool is seen as a cylinder at its input diameter. This means that Lollipop or Tee slot cutters etc. can be described but are seen by the software as ball, bull or regular end mills. Taper tools can also be used so long as its a positive taper.

In the 2.5 D you can user undercut tools to make undercut slots etc. In this case you are driving a 2.D profile, which can be under a lip.

A solution to do this if undercut surfaces or faces are required is to add the 3axis part of the 5 axis simultaneous module to your software. The technology with that module has the Gouge Avoidance as an individual step ( not automatic as with 3D ) in developing the toolpath. In SolidCAM 3D its automatic and based on the rules described above.