PDA

View Full Version : Okuma Captian 370 vs LB200

Kool Parts
09-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Don't know the Okuma line all that well but.... I am getting warm and fuzzy feeling for them as ck book time approaches. :D
Before the salesman starts working me over I would like to know some of the differences...they look about the same on paper.

I was hoping they would have been at AMMO but nooooo. I was pretty sold on the Hardinge Elite ll but it looked a little lite in person....but not much there to compare it to.

brtlatjgt
09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
All we have is Okuma's. They are great machines. Solidly built, easy to program. If it's within your price range I don't think you'll go wrong going with Okuma.

OKUMAN
09-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Okuma is the best.Don't settle for less.We have 16 of them in our shop.

Kool Parts
09-27-2007, 11:13 PM
I agree that they are great machines...just cant figure out their rating system.
The Heritage seems to the the lower end machine. I had always thought the Capitan was the Flag ship, but in looking over the web site in the last month I am not so sure:confused:
Thats why I was hoping they would have had a display at AMMO

Jarwalcot
09-28-2007, 01:50 AM
Kool,

Without knowing your projects requirements I'm going to offer my opinion... And, hope that you find it helpful. Based on your CNC-Zone Profile.. I'm confident that you will find that the Captain has more value and will allow you a quicker return on your investment.

Normally you don't see these two machines offered at the same time unless there is some kind of inventory issue... Too many of one of the machines in stock or long lead times on the other.. Both the LB and Captain were designed to meet the needs of different market segments.

The LB-200's compact design has allowed it to gain a large portion of the Big Numbers 7/24 Production market. The machine and control features allow it the flexibility to be placed in Straight Line, Stand-Alone and Automated Production Cells.

The Captain on the other hand has the perfect combination of features to meet both long run and short run production needs. If you compare the standard features offered on both machines you will find that the LB will require several options to be added to meet what the Captain offers as standard equipment...

Here are a couple of other things you may want to consider:

Captain:

* More Horse Power & Low End Torque
* Larger Turning Capacity (Increased Bar Cap.)
* Several Standard Features allowing quicker set-ups (Toolsetter, Tool Life)

I have been working around Okuma's for sometime time now (17 Years)... Working as a Field Service Tech until I was demoted in to Sales and forgot everything I thought I knew... I wish you continued success with the new lathe, if I can help in any way let me know...

Cheers,

Kool Parts
09-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Jarwalcot,
Thanks for the reply. Upon further review the specs show the LB to be 2000# lighter. I am a big believer in heaver is better in machines. Was hoping to learn more at the show and the Nakamura-tome that I knew was going to be there... wasn't even powered up(chair) .
Why even bring it:mad:
Mazak brought a nice selection but I just don't like them...just a personal thing.
I screwed up and didn't get my passport lined up in time for EMO
Just read on a diff forum that DMG had half a building by themselves and 600 staf:eek: Nice

brtlatjgt
09-28-2007, 11:10 PM
If you choose to get the captain, spend a little extra and get the big bore.

Kool Parts
10-05-2007, 07:32 AM
brtlatjgt,
Thanks, but I need the speed more than the bigger bore. Have done a lot of comparison and learned quite a bit in the last month.
Jarwalcot explained the Okuma line differences.
And the local (no one is really local for me) distributor has a Macturn ( http://www.okuma.com/products/machines/lathes/macturn_series/macturn350/) being installed this week, in a shop full of Okuma's that I am going to next week:banana: :banana: