PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 3/8 steel plate

BlueC
05-21-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a hack saw, a 6" drill press, a dremel, and not a lot of money.

I want to cut up this steel plate. Whats the best way for me to do it?

It's so much work, so I'd just like to whine a bit before I start.

I am afraid if I rent a torch and cut it, the edge may be too hard to work on later.

Damn....

trubleshtr
05-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Find someone with a vertical or horizontal metal cutting band saw..........My arm is hurting already just thinking about cutting material that size with a hack saw! A torch will harden the edge, and if done poorly will leave you with a wavy nasty looking edge aswell. Do you have a local welding or machine shop? ask them to do it or.........
The place you bought the metal from would also possibly be able to cut to desired size?

good luck

Hobbiest
05-21-2004, 11:06 PM
What kind of work will you want to do on a 3/8" plate that you will have to worry about hardening?I routinely cut this and thicker material with torch, and have no problems with drilling, grinding, or bending the material afterwords. Possibly an easier, and cheaper way, would be to buy a cheap angle grinder from harbor frieght or somewhere. You can usually get one for under $20. Then buy some 4 1/2" cutting discs. Here is the real trick...mark your cut line, then clamp the steel to a work table. Hold the body of the grinder with your left hand, and hold the handle with your right hand. Make sure that the handle is on the left side of the grinder. Do not look directly over the cutting disc, but sight it in from either side of the line. This works extremely well, and is cheap to boot.