PDA

View Full Version : Missing Steps with Laptop

alanc2
05-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Hello,
I am just starting out with CNC. I'm missing steps with turbocnc when I run it with my laptop computer. It works fine when I use my desktop.

I've monkeyed around for hours with the all the motion parameters, but nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Al

P.S. Here are some details:
Computer: Acernote Light Pentium (ebay purchase $55)
Operating System: Windows 95, restart to MS-DOS
Driver: Geckodrive 210
Stepper: 1st try: Vecta, 2nd try: Slosyn, same results
Power source: 1st try: Regulated 28V with big capacitor, 2nd try: 18V batteries: same results.
from turbocnc startup screen: mean latency 6.93 microsec, Max 59, max Hz 14422

balsaman
05-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Many laptops don't work because the voltage at the parallel port is too low. The only fix is to try another laptop or go with a desktop machine. It's not turbocnc, it's a hardware issue.

Eric

strat
05-16-2004, 05:09 PM
just came out from the laptop too ... i was toppin of with the laptop about 15 ipm i switched over to a 333 desktop and it runs smooth and now i start skipping at like 52 ipm oh the other thing is the laptop was connected to a dock station and i had the lpt mounted in it i also tried the port in the laptop itself but same effect skippy jumpy

alanc2
05-18-2004, 01:07 AM
Thanks,
I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some trick that would make my laptop work. Since none appeared, I bought a used desktop and it works like a charm. -Al

HomeCNC
05-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Are you running your laptop on batteries or on AC plug. A laptop will decrease power by up to 30% when on batteries just to make them last longer. To get full power from any laptop you must have it plugged into AC.

alanc2
05-18-2004, 01:51 AM
HomeCNC,
I always run it with the adaptor plugged in. The battery is nearly dead and lasts only about 5 minutes without the adaptor. -Al

JFettig
08-08-2004, 03:39 PM
I also run a laptop, I run a compaq pentium 166. I had problems missing steps during rapids because my rapids were turned up way high and the acceleration was way high too.
I turned it down quite a bit and it works great now.

Jon