PDA

View Full Version : Taig Enclosure Overkill

pdxalz
09-08-2007, 12:10 AM
I was searching Craig's list for plexiglass to be used to build an enclosure for my Taig. I saw a listing for a "plexiglass booth" for $50. Apparently the guy worked in a microbiology lab that got shut down and he saved it from the dumpster. It's about 6' tall, weights about 200 lbs. and is built like a tank. The door has full gasket and closes with a very snug fit. (His wife seemed happy to see it go. Mine wasn't quite so happy).

My plan is to build a platform inside for the mill and put a pc and a small compressor the for mist coolant on the bottom. Also I'll need to create an opening for the X stepper so it can have it's full range.

Any other suggestions on good modifications to the booth?

Al Z.

twocik
09-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Ha you know I was just about to buy a stand up fiberglass shower from Home depot. I was making an enclosure for a flood system, but is was kind of expensive for the shower, so i had to make something else that was cheaper.

tauntdesigns
09-08-2007, 04:12 PM
how wide is it? could you lay it on it's side, on top of a bench?

pdxalz
09-08-2007, 07:06 PM
It's 31" wide. I hadn't thought of laying on its side. One problem would be the door is really heavy.

If I ever decide to do a flood cooling system, it's pretty much ready. It has a drain and some plumbing underneath. It may even have a pump, but I'm not sure.

Al Z.

ZipSnipe
09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
good find I like it, don,t use any window cleaners to clean the plexi or it will smear. Also coolant and plexi don,t mix, ya might wanna throw some laminated glass(like car windshield glass) in the door.

pdxalz
09-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Good point about the coolant. I don't think it is actually plexiglass. Since it was built for an industrial application I expect it is something tougher, but I'm going to smear a little oil, wd-40, and some KoolMist on a section to make sure it holds up.
I've almost got it ready for the Taig. I'll post another picture when it is in.

Al Z.

Fixittt
09-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Also, you might want to consider some fans. You need top get air flow into the box. Steppers, spindle and motor all create heat. Trapping it in a sealed box will just cause it to build and build! Also if you run flood coolant it would sure suck to open the door and stick your head into a heated humid vapor mix!!!!

project5k
09-18-2007, 12:10 PM
yea but if you had a cold you couldallways mix in some vics vapo rub hehehehehe just kidding..

its a great find!

just a couple ideas, what about if you were to lay it on its side and have the door open up, you might could put a couple gas struts on it, or a counterweight..

digits
09-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Since it came from a micro-biology lab, I'd also be a little concerned about what it used to be 'containing' - I hope it's properly decontaminated!