PDA

View Full Version : Using wood routers on CNC

DrStein99
09-05-2007, 12:49 PM
I see there are lots of people building cnc machines that use trim routers and wood routers. Obviously this works well for wood.

Does anyone machine aluminum or plastics using routers? I was wondering how that would be possible with the extreme heat from the high rpms on that. I used coolant on a router job one time, and it worked. Days later I had to throw away the router because the bearings and armature had just enough rust to call it quits.

martinw
09-05-2007, 09:44 PM
I see there are lots of people building cnc machines that use trim routers and wood routers. Obviously this works well for wood.

Does anyone machine aluminum or plastics using routers? I was wondering how that would be possible with the extreme heat from the high rpms on that. I used coolant on a router job one time, and it worked. Days later I had to throw away the router because the bearings and armature had just enough rust to call it quits.

Dear DrStein99,

It is entirely possible to use a wood router to machine aluminium if (1) you use the correct type of carbide or HSS bit (2) use the correct rpm for the cutter (3) take really light passes (4) use a good lubricant, (paste wax works) and (4) last not but least, cover the ventilation slots of your router with some of your partner's discarded nylon stockings ( or whatever) to stop the swarf getting into the motor.

BTW....I'm not entirely sure if this advice would work in a production environment ...

Best wishes

Martin