PDA

View Full Version : Tool for cutting Step Block steps?

jim_stoll
08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm new to cnc and metal working in general. I've got a Taig cnc mill and have been playing w/ it for a while. I recently ordered a small step block and clamp set - very handy, and I could see myself using a wider variety of clamps on the blocks, but I need relatively small stuff for the Taig (ie, the sets from Enco won't work, for example). Has anyone ever cut their own steps? (ie, on the end of the clamp to fit onto the block). What would I use to do that, some type of angle-edge slitting saw or such? I don't need to make blocks, just the clamp bars. If this is a fool's errand, feel free to tell me so - I don't know any better at this point! (and truthfully, anything that I spend time making is an education for me, so I'm kind of hunting around for small projects...)

Thanks for any help/info!

jim_stoll
08-29-2007, 01:39 PM
I suppose I could also use a dovetail cutter? Is there a 'standard' step angle/depth/etc?

HuFlungDung
08-29-2007, 02:09 PM
I checked my clamping sets, the included angle could be cut with a 60 degree dovetail cutter. The bottom of the cutter would need to be tilted 15 degrees off of horizontal to correspond to the sets I use.

They appear to have 8 teeth per inch.

jim_stoll
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Awesome - thanks for the detailed info HuFlung. (love the name!)

Now I just need to find a 60deg dovetail cutter that will fit in my pre-ER16 Taig!!