PDA

View Full Version : new dynatorch

cstroke
08-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Hi all,
Im new to posting, but have been reading all the posts on the dynatorch for a month or so. I'm convinced and broke down and ordered a 5 x 10 dropside with a new plasma cutter while I was at it. So in a month or so when i go down and get it I'll be bothering everyone in here with stupid questions. I've gotten a lot of good info from this site already. Thanks

TJ Ken
08-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I will have a slightly used machine for sale very soon!

When you go pick it up, I'd suggest demanding that YOUR actual table and gantry is assembled and you can watch your table cut while you are there. Don't settle for watching their 'Demo' machine.

RAW
08-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Cstroke,

Congratulations on your new purchase.

I love my Dynatorch table. It took me forever to get it all set up since my shop is currently 3 hours from my house, but . . . . it was worth the aggravation. Everything with the table works exactly as it should.
Did you order the air-handler? I have it on my machine and love it. It makes a huge difference. And it's nice that you can turn the exhaust fan on from the computer.

Post pics when you get everything.

edwardpic
08-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Welcome cstroke,
Welcome to the club. We all post pictures tips etc in here so feel free to ask any questions you might have. Hope you get your new set-up soon!!!

KjZitur
08-30-2007, 07:48 AM
I am also a new DT owner (about 2 weeks), this is a great machine and the customer service is tops in my book! I need some advice on the settings for cutting 14 ga. and 16 ga. mild steel...........ken

edwardpic
08-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Ken,
Look at some of the posts in the dynatorch forum, matt and I have posted alot of settings from 16 gauge to 3/8". They are pretty spot on and you can copy and paste into a word doc to print out. Welcome to the DT crew.

Mike Ray
09-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Welcome Check out the Dynatorch Users forum. I've got a ton of pics on my buildout. I love the machine and the guys at DT have been top notch for me!

Mike

cstroke
09-10-2007, 06:56 PM
well, i have it all set up and am headed down in october to pick up my machine..going down for the machine school and the we cim training..
with these courses how bad is the learning curve or have i shortened it up some

thanks chris

totalfab06
09-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I have had my table up and running for about 7 months. I too bought the we-cim software. The software is great. The class is a must!! Gary and the people over at Wittlock are top notch. They will go out of there way to make sure it is set for your needs.
Now let's talk about the table. I picked my table up also. The table when I got it to the shop had some problems.The rail on the drive side of the table was bowed BAD. The gantry would not travel the lenght of the table with out hopping the v-rail. I had to remove, plug the holes and re-tap the rail. The slave side is also warped badly. These problems I have fixed to the extent that I can use the table, but I have accurecy problems dependent on where the part is cut on the table. The gantry also is light so sometimes it's not stable and shakes on long arcs. I have not figured out that one yet.
I guess the main thing I am trying to say is check the table before you load it up..

cstroke
09-11-2007, 06:34 PM
thanks for the info
im going to be building my own table so i shouldnt have those issues
looking forward to using this machine

TJ Ken
09-13-2007, 01:55 PM
I

Now let's talk about the table. I picked my table up also. The table when I got it to the shop had some problems.The rail on the drive side of the table was bowed BAD. The gantry would not travel the lenght of the table with out hopping the v-rail. I had to remove, plug the holes and re-tap the rail. The slave side is also warped badly. These problems I have fixed to the extent that I can use the table, but I have accurecy problems dependent on where the part is cut on the table. The gantry also is light so sometimes it's not stable and shakes on long arcs. I have not figured out that one yet.
I guess the main thing I am trying to say is check the table before you load it up..

These are the very same problems I had with my table.

Everyone at Dynatorch that I spoke with (Greg, Russ, Leon) acted as if it was impossible for my table to have been bowed when I picked it up from them.

Leon was even so bold as to state that they run Quality Control on the tables as they arrive at the Dynatorch facility (Outsourced work). Any table that is out of specs, they supposedly don't pay for and reject.

I'd like to know their tolerances on these things!? Must be something like +or- 2".

Hearing about another Dynatorch customer with the same issues reassures me that the problem was indeed Dynatorch's manufacturing process & they should be liable for All Repairs & Associated Costs.
However they stuck the bill to me saying that I cannot get my gantry back from them until they are paid in full for the repairs & shipping costs. Plus I am now out the expense of buying the materials to build another table!

One area to check for on the gantry is the gear on top of the aluminum extrusion that moves the torch (Y Axis). Mine rubbed from the very beginning causing drag on the torch & inconsistent parts.

LE3BLF
10-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi, my name is Francis Vega and I have been working metal for over 30 years. I saw pictures of your table at Dynatorch when I pick up our new machine. Your table certainly did have a bad bow in the frame. Whoever welded the extra angle support on to the table with a continuous 12 foot weld should get a swift kick? I am certain that this was a mod that you did because the extra angle is not shown on their plans or their website. All the heat you put into that long weld is what caused the bow. Don't blame others for what you did.:withstupi
I have been using CNC plasma and water- jet machines for the past 10 years. The Dynatorch system is one of the most cost effective machines I own. It move fast and cuts super sweet. If you don't think I know what I am talking about, then check out my work at http://www.cricketforge.com or http://www.vegametals.com .

cstroke
10-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi, my name is Francis Vega and I have been working metal for over 30 years. I saw pictures of your table at Dynatorch when I pick up our new machine. Your table certainly did have a bad bow in the frame. Whoever welded the extra angle support on to the table with a continuous 12 foot weld should get a swift kick? I am certain that this was a mod that you did because the extra angle is not shown on their plans or their website. All the heat you put into that long weld is what caused the bow. Don't blame others for what you did.:withstupi
I have been using CNC plasma and water- jet machines for the past 10 years. The Dynatorch system is one of the most cost effective machines I own. It move fast and cuts super sweet. If you don't think I know what I am talking about, then check out my work at http://www.cricketforge.com or http://www.vegametals.com .

just so you know... If this is aimed at me, its wrongly so.. I didnt pick my machine up yet.. I'm getting mine on Wednesday, dynatorch school on wed.. WeCim triaining thursday and friday.. Also i'm picking up my steel for the table on Monday.. I went with a little heavier angle and will be changing the design a little.. I ordered 6' x 12' 3/16" for the slats shearing these will be the easiest part, picked up my shear last year..

LE3BLF
10-14-2007, 08:56 AM
just so you know... If this is aimed at me, its wrongly so.. I didnt pick my machine up yet.. I'm getting mine on Wednesday, dynatorch school on wed.. WeCim triaining thursday and friday.. Also i'm picking up my steel for the table on Monday.. I went with a little heavier angle and will be changing the design a little.. I ordered 6' x 12' 3/16" for the slats shearing these will be the easiest part, picked up my shear last year..
Sorry cstroke, my reply was meant for TJ Ken.

cstroke
10-22-2007, 06:04 PM
ok, drove the 12 + hrs to kentucky for my new dynatorch..
I left on tuesday afternoon, got there on wednesday morning early..I had the dynatorch school in the am, a little easy cad in the afternoon and then we cim training thursday and friday.. Worked on my table and am about half way through.
Wow, a lot to remember with training, glad i took a lot of notes.. I fully understand the posts that talk of the learning curve..
I think its just going to take some time to get into this..
This website is the reason i went with dynatorch and not another brand..
Thanks to everyone

Mike Ray
10-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Cool looking forward to the setup picks jump on the Dynatorch Users forum and fill us in on your specs sheet and plans!! Looking forward to seein your build out.

cstroke
11-10-2007, 06:58 AM
looks like im going to get some time to work on the machine today..
been putting and addition on my house, I do all the crap work..
I travel so im only home on the weekends. so my time gets used up quickly

I'd be working on the house but looks like rain all day.( big mud pit)

I have the frame squared up and rails straightened and bolted together.
Today the final welding of the frame, gussets slat holders and angle for the cable carrier.. then painting and get ready for the gears..
I got a computer cabinet a company was throwing away.. I'll try and get some pics of different parts today..

getting closer

Mike Ray
11-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Cool!! get us some PICS. I'm sure everyone is tired of mine on the Dynatorch Users thread.

Happy weldin

cstroke
11-13-2007, 08:36 PM

ok a few pics one is when welding the legs, clamped the main rails together and welded the legs.. Minimal warpage up and down, had to straighten by pulling down.. in hind site should have used some thin matl. between main rails and overbend.. but not a big deal..
the other pic is after everything was bolted together and welded up..
i'll post a few more pics..

cstroke
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM

ok the one pics with the gantry on and rollers lined up..

the second pic is what im using for my computer cabinet.. salvaged from a dumpster.. amazing what people throw away..

im going to put one more pic in of the gears..

cstroke
11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
oops already put that pic in..

Next weekend hopefully get some time to paint and fine tune..
shortly thereafter I should be able to get everything together..

I got my gears fairly close.. the slave side is within a 64 th up and down and side to side..

the drive is very close side to side but a 32nd out up and down..seems like it rolls fairly well...
If i get a chance to paint it this weekend I'll post pics..
hopefully it doesnt look like a turd when im done..

KjZitur
12-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I finally have my burn table and down draft table painted and up and running. I thought I would post a couple of pix. The down draft table works great!

Edwardo
12-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Hi all, really enjoy reading past and present comments, decided months ago to buy a dynatorch and Mondays the day we are ordering it, took awhile to get my garage ready, but really looking forward to getting going on it. Although we decided on Dynatorch, it is reassuring to read about how well they perform for most of you. We're starting from scratch, i have some welding and hand plasma torch experience, know alittle about puters, going to do mostly metal art to start off until we get some time in on it, then maybe try some custom work if we can, start off as a hobby and see where it leads. Anyways, keep the comments coming, hope you dont mind me asking alot of questions once im up and running....Thanks

EDD

cstroke
12-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi all, really enjoy reading past and present comments, decided months ago to buy a dynatorch and Mondays the day we are ordering it, took awhile to get my garage ready, but really looking forward to getting going on it. Although we decided on Dynatorch, it is reassuring to read about how well they perform for most of you. We're starting from scratch, i have some welding and hand plasma torch experience, know alittle about puters, going to do mostly metal art to start off until we get some time in on it, then maybe try some custom work if we can, start off as a hobby and see where it leads. Anyways, keep the comments coming, hope you dont mind me asking alot of questions once im up and running....Thanks

EDD

what software are you getting??
I recomend the we cim, with it you dont need the easy cad.
laser and crash detect might be something you might want to consider..
with the we cim you can attend a two day school at dynatorch. also with the dynatorch you can go down and get a one day education on the machine.
a bit overwhelming at first but not to bad..
any questions on the we cim Mr whitlock is floating around these forums..
he gives a great school.

Mike Ray
12-16-2007, 07:13 AM
I'll second those addons. My site laser rocks.

I ran a full length cut on a 10 foot piece of 3/16 free hand with the remote controller. I squared the piece then used the laser to make sure it was tracking correct. Then ran the cut free hand. Straight and exact all the way down.

We-Cim and Plasma Mate (Get the Premium Package) is great also.

Mike Ray
12-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Do you have detail PICS of the draft table? How well does it work and how do you fetch drops and clean it out?

KjZitur
12-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Here are e few quick drawings of my downdraft table. The frame is made of 2" square tubing x 14 gauge with thread inserts and levelers from McMaster-Carr. The sheet metal for both "V's" is 16 gauge. The downdraft table is basically a rectangular frame with a sheetmetal "V" along the X axis. Inside the "V" is an inverted V along the X axis. I left about a 2" space between the two V's. I used a 12" grain bin dryer fan (free from a local farmer friend) that mounts on the wall outside (not shown in the drawings). On the other end of the table is the clean out door (in the pix from my previous post the yellow dynatorch lettering is the handle for the door). When you are cutting and some small parts drop into the V you simply open the door on the end of the table and rake out the parts (I made a rake out of 10 ft piece of 3/4" round tubing with a sheetmetal triangle welded to one end) I should also mention that I replaced the single phase motor on the grain bin dryer with a 3 phase motor and added a VFD to control the speed of the motor which allows me to adjust the fan to the slowest speed possilble and still suck out the smoke (saves heat!). Thats about it!..............ken

cstroke
12-30-2007, 07:32 AM
well I havent gotten much done on the machine.

I have her painted, got the new computer stand gutted, and got the slats sheared, I used 6 x 12 sheets of 3/16 and ran them in an angle.
waiting for a computer and i think im about ready to fire it up..My dad has an old computer and is cleaning it off for me, hence the hold up. beggars cant be choosers. Another hold up is im adding on to my house and it seems i dont have much free time. I need to get some of my investments to start paying me back.
When i get some more stuff together i'll get some more pics posted..

cstroke
01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
got my machine up and running well sort of..
i got my air line run electric run and everything together. computer cabinet built.
so i get all programs installed call leon, he walks me through everything, and i'm cutting steel. Im pretty excited to finally get a chance to run this thing.
well the next day i go out to the machine turn on the computer and i get the blue screen of death.. it was an old computer that was going to get thrown away but now i have to go through all this again ugghhh.
i ordered a new computer on dell auction and got one for 150, so with any luck i'll be trying this again this weekend..

RAW
01-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I ran into almost the same problem.
I got everything up and running and was feeling great.

Next time I went to the shop, the computer wouldn't boot cuz the operating system couldn't be found.
Yep, dead harddrive.

Ended up rebuilding the computer on a different motherboard and reinstalling everything. Well, then I couldn't get my DXF export filter to work. The developer had made it tied to the hardware config. So when I got to the shop and disabled the wifi card . . . DXF export wouldn't work. Took me forever to figure out that one.

Edwardo
01-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Well you guys got me thinking now, I'm getting my table in mid March sometime, i was going to highgrade my wifes desk top puter for it but now i think i should just go buy a new 1 and be done with it. I like Dell, but what all do i need for running my dynatorch?? Are the dual core better or does it matter. XP or VISTA? , i dont know much about them so any feed back on what others are using would be appreciated..

Edd

RAW
01-30-2008, 02:03 PM
You don't need (and I wouldn't recommend) a fancy, new computer to run your Dynatorch.
What happened to me was a total fluke. It could have just as easily happened to a new computer (and has happened to me on other occasions).

So, don't worry about dual core, quad core and all that jazz.

Just get a computer that meets the requirements with maybe a little extra memory.

cstroke
01-30-2008, 05:56 PM
i second what raw says.. no need for a screaming computer..
a celeron processor no duo core is needed.
bare bones.. xp and not vista i think is the way to go, any doubts call leon at dynatorch, I know gary at wecim doesnt like vista..
check out dell auction.. refurbished from dell. I just picked mine up for a 150 clams.
you can get a brand new computer from tigerdirect for around 300.

my computer problem was an old computer that had a problem before i got it ( i thought the problem was gone but evidently it wasnt, it was missing some files)

millman52
01-30-2008, 09:16 PM
All of my computer researching has led me to believe most any processor of 1.5GHz or better. 512 minimum on memory !!!! STAY AWAY FROM VISTA !!!! Microsoft 2000 SP4 or XP Pro probably best. But many working on XP home.

I started with a Case, power supply, optical drive(s) from my own personal PC graveyard. Bought a New 80 GHz W Digital HD & installed XP Pro. No virus software, disk scanners, adobe etc. Only pluged it to the internet to getlatest XP updates, Mach & Sheetcam downloaded then unhooked the ethernet cable & disabled the ethernet card. You don't want anything trying to run in the background, automatic updates etc. Most anything that tries to buffer up while you are running a program on your table can cause all sorts of crazy crap to go on.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike Ray
02-04-2008, 07:52 AM
I am uising a d500 compaq. Old 2.8 P4 works great. I like this box because it has two real serial ports and it is small !!!

Can't speak for these guys buy here is a whole setop for 350.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350018988070&ih=022&category=140072&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:NEWLIST#GALLERY

Mike

morvaman
03-05-2008, 08:00 PM
hello everyone, after some long reserch and browsing these forums i ordered my dynatorch on monday. i will be using my machine to cut mostly hvac ducts so i will be looking 4 some guidance on setting up from you guys/gals.:cheers:

Edwardo
03-08-2008, 01:26 PM
well my table should be delivered to my house in 2 days, been about 8 months in the planning, i'm still working in mexico but will behome next weekend.... x-mas in March for me. We had alittle confusion with customs and brokers getting it across the line, but nothing serious and the people at DT helped clear that up, big thanks to all of them. We've never done this before so its been a learning curve for sure.

So what made you choose a dynatorch? What all are you getting with it, the people on here are great, good advice and cool ideas. Welcome to the group.

EDD

morvaman
03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
well my table should be delivered to my house in 2 days, been about 8 months in the planning, i'm still working in mexico but will behome next weekend.... x-mas in March for me. We had alittle confusion with customs and brokers getting it across the line, but nothing serious and the people at DT helped clear that up, big thanks to all of them. We've never done this before so its been a learning curve for sure.

So what made you choose a dynatorch? What all are you getting with it, the people on here are great, good advice and cool ideas. Welcome to the group.

EDD

i chose dt because their machine (to me) looks like the best in its class and has a great deal of extras to offer 4 the price like thc . also it's very hard to find a used one :):). for now i'm getting the 5' gantry kit and i'm building my own table i still got a long way to go but i think its the best way to start.

morvaman
04-30-2008, 07:53 PM
hello everyone, i picked up my machine from dynatorch on monday. i actually drove from ny to ky 15hrs and back 15hrs only stoping for gas . i did the training and i'm very excited to get started on setting up. i will put pics of my progress soon.

millman52
05-27-2008, 07:46 PM
How about an update on your progress.

cstroke
05-29-2008, 06:45 AM
well, my machine runs but i dont get a chance to use it and learn

i travel for my real job and home only on the weekends. I've been putting an addition on my house and trying to do as much work as possible myself.
i just dont get into my shop to mess around with the machine..
when i try and use my we-cim i seem to forget everything i learned in august.
I hope to get into the shop some this summer, we'll see how that works

I check out this forum for post so i can scrape info up but not many post lately
is everyone making to much money with their machines they dont post anymore??
maybe i should be quitting my real job..:D

morvaman
05-29-2008, 06:38 PM
i would like to show you all but i'm still trying to figure out how to post pics.

morvaman
05-29-2008, 07:50 PM
i'm hopeing to finish at the end of june.

millman52
05-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Looks really good keep up the good work.

I am really busy these days. I have run my torch some every day for the last 2 weeks 4 full 8 hour days cutting 1" grade 50 steel & the remainder on 3/8" & 1/2" A 36 mild steel.

Don't kid yourself about making a living with these tables. It's entirely possible if you have a good way to handle the sheets across them quickly.

I built mine with only the intentions of cutting materials I was buying pre cut. 5 months after putting it to work & a few people finding out about it. More additional work is finding, me without advertising it, than I ever imagined.

Still have (8) 4' X 12' sheets of the 1" to process + (10) 3/8" X 4 X 8 & (5) 1/2" X 4 X 8.

Right now I'm on the learning curve of how much oxygen & acetylene to get off the truck each (2) week cycle.

Edwardo
06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
well, my machine runs but i dont get a chance to use it and learn

i travel for my real job and home only on the weekends. I've been putting an addition on my house and trying to do as much work as possible myself.
i just dont get into my shop to mess around with the machine..
when i try and use my we-cim i seem to forget everything i learned in august.
I hope to get into the shop some this summer, we'll see how that works

I check out this forum for post so i can scrape info up but not many post lately
is everyone making to much money with their machines they dont post anymore??
maybe i should be quitting my real job..:D

I know how you feel,im in the same position, away for 2 months, then home for 1 month.... but this is the reason i bought it in the first place, i hope to eventually be able to stay home and earn a living with it. Everything takes time, but i think eventually it will take off, the way i see it is the cost is the same as buying a boat, camper, stuff like that just depreciates in value were as the plasma table will make money, even if it takes awhile to get going at it.
EDD

morvaman
02-09-2009, 09:47 AM
:wave::wave:Happy new year everyone what are you guys up to? Looks dead on the forum,that should mean everyone is busy. Thats good but whats up? I can't stop cutting.

Edwardo
02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
All the best to you too. Been making up things for spring and learning more corel as i go, working on a web site and planning some advertising in the near furture. By the way if anyone out there has some advice on do's and dont's for a web site i'd appreciate it.

Take care all
EDD