PDA

View Full Version : Arc movements for circles

ozturbo
08-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Hello,
I just downloaded the demo of Madcam and am impressed at how easy it easy. But, when i output code, what should be circular toolpaths is output in straight xy movements around the circle. Can i get madcam to output IJK movements.

Thanks

Delcamfan
08-03-2007, 10:19 PM
If you actually have a circle drawn and not a spline it should definitely post out the way you expect......if you know that it is an actual circle the problem is probably your post processor.

ozturbo
08-04-2007, 12:28 AM
I would think that it would be a post processor issue, something that could change the movement into arcs. But, when I create the toolpath from a splin/circle the path always appears jagged on screen in rhino also. I would think there has to be a setting somewhere that i am overlooking.

Delcamfan
08-04-2007, 01:08 AM
oz

the issue with the jagged lines is a simple precision setting in the software. It is usually located in the Tools, Options, somewhere. What Im getting at with the spline thing is the fact that if it is a spline, it will always post out point to point. Make sure you use the draw circle command before selecting the geometry to write the toolpath. I should come out how you want it

ozturbo
08-04-2007, 01:35 AM
The object is infact a circle not a spline. I wish i knew how to post a picture so I could show. I have also tried setting every setting I could possibly find in regards to tolerances and setting them to .0001 with no change.

dcd121
08-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Are the settings you set to .0001 the Rhino mesh settings? If the mesh settings are to rough, curves will be jagged although not an xy square you discribe.

Set mesh to custom, minimum edge length to .0001,maximum distance edge to surface to .001 and your cutter description to .001 you should get a very smooth curve.

If this does not work it obviously it is something else.

Regards,
Dave

bborb
08-05-2007, 07:58 PM
I always draw a couple 180 degree arcs to form a circle.

dcd121
08-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Two arcs or a circle, it should work. Attached is a cirlce with a profile toolpath. It is smooth both in looks and if it were cut it would be very smooth.
Compare to your result and see what you think. As I said above, check the mesh settings that are saved with this 3dm file. Maybe you could attach your file compare. I hope I understand your problem but maybe not.

ozturbo
08-05-2007, 11:59 PM
The tolerance setting under the tool did the trick. I am not sure why i missed that one before. It still would make more sense to create a toolpath with arc movements, I wonder why it is not capable of this. Thanks for the help, I am pretty convinced this software has the best bang for the buck.