PDA

View Full Version : Rockcliff Router Build, MFD

CheekieMonkies
07-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Hello,

I have started my very own build, thanks to everyone on these forums for such a lot of information and other things i'v found it very intresting reading / watching how everyone here is building there cnc tables.

I have included a link to my build log if your intrested in viewing so far, its very erly days yet and i'm still needing to buy other parts such as motors and so on. Small steps as they say.

My Build log can be forund on this link, its a new site for the uk: http://mycncuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8

Regards,

Kammo1
08-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Can't see no pics.

CheekieMonkies
08-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Hey Kammo1, you will need to register.

The settings are set so you cant download or view pics, like it is here unless you register, would be nice to haev some Uk company over there.

Have you done your own build ?

CheekieMonkies
08-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi,

i'm going to be cutting 3mm hardbord, right now we cut 20mm X 20mm letters usign a fretsaw from this wood for making door plaqus.

What we would like to do is cut these on our new cnc router table, please can you advise me on the right cutting bits i should use on such small detail work for this kind of thing.

If you was to take the letter A, i will need to cut the inside of the A with a very small bit so as it get a close inside edge on the cut (i hope iv said that right), i'v been advised to use "Slot Bits" as they come in very small size's even half a mill, now i understand thats probably way to small for what i would be doing or is it ?

I'd really appreciate some help on this as its really quite an important issue for us right now.

CheekieMonkies
08-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Bump

gmfoster
08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Bump

Most of us aren't going to register at another place just to look at pictures.

Sorry about that...
Garry

CheekieMonkies
08-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Understood, wasnt really hoping for that i'm just after some help mate.

gmfoster
08-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Understood, wasnt really hoping for that i'm just after some help mate.

Basically you can't easily do what you are asking...

The best vet would probably do this in two steps. Depending on the size of the letters pick a bit strong enough to hold up well and use it to cut all the letter except the really fine V's. Then do a tool change and cut out the inside corners. Of course this means you will have to hand massage almost all of you Gcode. The other option would be to cut out with a bit that will hold up then finis by hand via fret saw, file or a similar method.

A really tiny bit probably won't hold up to do very many whole letters. I would use an upcut spiral router bit for all the cuts..

Pretty much you just have to try things and see what works for you....
Garry

CheekieMonkies
08-07-2007, 03:08 PM
ok thanks for the heads up, i was looking at some 1mm bits today they are £15 well £10 to me as i get some discount. i think its gonna be trial and error like your saying. Maybe do that tho cut with bigger bit for the out sides then cange to smaller and new gcode with less feed rate so i can do the inside bits.

CheekieMonkies
08-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Hiya all, today i posted loads of new pics and posts about my build so far, i know some of you dont want to register at a new forum just to view the pics and so on, so i'v arranged for my pics to be viewable by guest's so please come and take a look as i would really like to share my log with members of these forums as well.

i know its abit out of your way to register but it dosnt take that long and i would apprecate your comments or advice you may give me.

My build log:
Click here (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8)

kind regards,
CheekieMonkies

gmfoster
08-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey thats looking real nice...

Garry

CheekieMonkies
08-11-2007, 06:29 AM
:) yea i know i'm really pleased with it, just hope the sun stays out today for me to jump on it again. !

Regards,
Cheekie

ger21
08-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Why don't you post your build pics here, where there are 50,000+ members to comment on them, instead of where they are at, where there are ~26 members?

CheekieMonkies
08-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Because that would mean keeping a log on both sites and i dont have all the time in the world todo that, i'm from the uk so mycncUK.com is better for me as its uk members mostly i know there is also uk members on this site as well so thats why i posted a link?

Would you like to remove the links, i'm sorry if offended you by doing this Mr Community Moderator Sir >?

paul_l
08-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi CheekieMonkies,

I'm considering building one of these machines and was wondering how much do you think you've spent on the project (minus dremel/router and wood)?

I have no idea exactly what I'd need to get going so an idea of the cost would be nice.

Thanks,
Paul

CheekieMonkies
08-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Well it can vairy really mate, the rockcliff website says you could build this for under $70 and in another statement it says for under $200.

I dont think you could really, i'v sent you a pm anyway with my msn messenger address, i'v got quite a few links built up for uk venders and so on. I'll price everything so far and let you know as i'v not done that myself yet.

CheekieMonkies
08-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Just updated with somemore pics.