PDA

View Full Version : My little project

Pyrotechnical
07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
I've been making lots of progress lately and decided that the time has come to share my results with the forum that's been a great help to me along the way.

My research and parts gathering began in December of '06, but I didn't actually start the build until June 25, 2007.

My gantry is supported and driven from one end and there is some flex I'm working to eliminate. I haven't made the slats yet, but in the meantime, it does work! The little wrench was cut from 10ga. with a standard nozzle, wirebrushed and painted.

vcooney
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey Pyrotechncal,
Looks great so far. Are you following any drawings if so could you share them?
Also do you plan to paint it?
What kind of plasma cutter are you using? Sorry for all the questions but Im getting ready to build my own table.

Vince

Weldtutor
07-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I've been making lots of progress lately
My research and parts gathering began in December of '06, but I didn't actually start the build until June 25, 2007.

Very nice construction work on your project!:)

You certainly have been busy the last few weeks, and the research shows wonderful results.

Thanks for sharing the fine photos of your great work.

Pyrotechnical
07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I have been busy.

I'm using a Hypertherm 1000, and recommend it highly. I'm sure there are other models that would be good too, but on upgrading from a Hypertherm 600, the 1000 is worth double the price difference between the two.

Paint will be applied after I've finished construction and modifications.

I'm not working from plans of any sort, but rather figuring things out as I go. If you're curious about any specific dimensions don't hesitate to ask.

JHCHOPPERS
07-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Looks great. Thats a clean cut too.

FPV_GTp
07-31-2007, 06:38 PM
hi

Pyrotechnical very nice machine , keep up the good work.

What motherboard are you using ? can not work it out from the pictures. I'm assuming you have height control ? on the Z-axis or are you setting this parameter manually for the different thickness of metal being cut.

cheers

Pyrotechnical
07-31-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "motherboard." The breakout board is a C10.

No automatic THC at this time.

Mongkol
07-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Pyrotechnical,
It's a great project. You use manual or machine system for hypertherm 1000
Is it possible to share the wiring diagram of hyperthem1000 with parallel port.? How to connect? I am going to build plasma machine same as you.

Cheers,
Mongkol

Pyrotechnical
07-31-2007, 09:43 PM
It's a great project. You use manual or machine system for hypertherm 1000
I'm not sure what you are asking. The torch is a manual torch.

Is it possible to share the wiring diagram of hyperthem1000 with parallel port.? How to connect? I am going to build plasma machine same as you.

Are you asking how the plasma cutter is turned on and off? I ran an output from the breakout board to a switching transistor that activates a relay that is connected to the plasma cutter. The Hypertherm 1000 has inputs for remote start, but according to the manual they are inactive if a manual torch is connected. I'm sure there's a way around that, but in the interest of expediency I spliced into the same wiring that the manual torch switch uses.

ghjr
07-31-2007, 10:41 PM

If you're curious about any specific dimensions don't hesitate to ask.

Will you share you motor/gear/rack combonation and source?

Mongkol
08-01-2007, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=Pyrotechnical;326227]I'm not sure what you are asking. The torch is a manual torch.
I am not sure.I refer from http://www.hypertherm.com/languages/english/products.php. They shows both mechanized and manual torch.for powermax1000.

Are you asking how the plasma cutter is turned on and off? I ran an output from the breakout board to a switching transistor that activates a relay that is connected to the plasma cutter. The Hypertherm 1000 has inputs for remote start, but according to the manual they are inactive if a manual torch is connected. I'm sure there's a way around that, but in the interest of expediency I spliced into the same wiring that the manual torch switch uses
Yes,I am little puzzled with turn on and off system. What port and pin of DB-25 can turn on or off the torch of plasma? if I use mach3:withstupi

Cheers,
Mongkol

bekx
08-01-2007, 02:07 AM
hey, nice table.
how is it working with the direct drive? no vibration, get enough torque? i see the motors are not big

nice welding too

vcooney
08-01-2007, 05:22 AM

I'm using a Hypertherm 1000, and recommend it highly. I'm sure there are other models that would be good too, but on upgrading from a Hypertherm 600, the 1000 is worth double the price difference between the two.

Paint will be applied after I've finished construction and modifications.

I'm not working from plans of any sort, but rather figuring things out as I go. If you're curious about any specific dimensions don't hesitate to ask.

If you have made up dimensions for your setup, I would love to have them.
thanks
Vince

Pyrotechnical
08-01-2007, 06:08 AM
They shows both mechanized and manual torch for powermax1000.
The torch pictured is the 90* manual torch. The mechanized torch is straight and has a rack gear mounted on it.

Yes,I am little puzzled with turn on and off system. What port and pin of DB-25 can turn on or off the torch of plasma? if I use mach3
I have Ports and Pins/Output Signals/Output 1 in Mach3 set to pin #17.

Pyrotechnical
08-01-2007, 06:12 AM
how is it working with the direct drive? no vibration, get enough torque? i see the motors are not big
The rack and pinion drive works really well. The motors are 600 oz.in. and seem to have plenty of power.

Pyrotechnical
08-01-2007, 06:21 AM
If you have made up dimensions for your setup, I would love to have them.
thanks
Vince
The outside dimensions of the table as seen in the first picture are: 108"L x 60"W x 30"H.

Legs: 2"x2"x0.120"
Side and End Rails: 2"x3"x0.120"
Leg braces: 2.25"x0.25"
X, Y, and Z bearing rails: 3/8"x2" cold rolled

massajamesb
08-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm digging it, Pyro. Work looks good!
Parts look great, too!
Thanks for sharing your machine with us.

Mongkol
08-01-2007, 11:47 PM
The torch pictured is the 90* manual torch. The mechanized torch is straight and has a rack gear mounted on it.
I just know. Thanks so much

I have Ports and Pins/Output Signals/Output 1 in Mach3 set to pin #17.
Port1#Pin17, This pin can also turn on or off spindle or not.

Hi Pyrotechnical,
Please help if you have a wiring diagram. Please have a look for my question.
Here 's the first time for plasma table.:stickpoke

Thanks so much
Mongkol

Pyrotechnical
08-02-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, but here is what I did:

Mongkol
08-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Hi Pyrotechnical,
Thanksss... so much..
I am little puzzled with pin17, Can it also turn on or off spindle?
M03 and M05 commands in g-code can control pin17. It's right or wrong? :p

In Hypertherm 1000, Wire in transistor connector.
Purple wire. what does it mean?
Orange wire. what does it mean?
I search on datasheet in google. It doesn't show the detail.

Cheers,
Mongkol

Pyrotechnical
08-04-2007, 07:25 AM
I am little puzzled with pin17, Can it also turn on or off spindle? M03 and M05 commands in g-code can control pin17. It's right or wrong? :p
That is correct.

In Hypertherm 1000. . .Purple wire. what does it mean? Orange wire. what does it mean?
These can be found inside the access cover where the torch connects to the plasma machine. These wires connect to the manual torch trigger.

Mongkol
08-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Hi Pyrotechnical,

Thanks for information. Pyro,Do you have the photo after cutting with plasma machine? ;)

Regards,
Mongkol

HelicalCut
09-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I like the toriodal transformer and drives packed into an old PC case. Looks like you used 608 bearings as guide rollers. I am curious why the gantry is spaced above the side rails on A frames, rather than raising the side rails above the table and eliminating the A frames? In all a nice bit of fabrication, like me paint is an afterthought :) I am in the process of designing an oxy fuel table which is why I am curious about your design choices.

lamicron
09-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi Pyrotechnical, nice machine, I'm also building mine, about the motors , I'm thtinking to buy 495 oz. for a 100 kilos gantry, but these motors have a 1/4" shaft, , i'm not sure about it, anyone can help?
Luis

Pyrotechnical
09-03-2007, 07:10 AM
I like the toriodal transformer and drives packed into an old PC case. Looks like you used 608 bearings as guide rollers. I am curious why the gantry is spaced above the side rails on A frames, rather than raising the side rails above the table and eliminating the A frames? In all a nice bit of fabrication, like me paint is an afterthought :) I am in the process of designing an oxy fuel table which is why I am curious about your design choices.
Yes, I used 608 skate bearings from vxb.com.

A consideration in the gantry/rail configuration was the desire to load the table from the side or end without any projections above the table surface.

Pyrotechnical
09-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi Pyrotechnical, nice machine, I'm also building mine, about the motors , I'm thtinking to buy 495 oz. for a 100 kilos gantry, but these motors have a 1/4" shaft, , i'm not sure about it, anyone can help?
Luis
I used Keling 600 ozin Nema 34 steppers which have a 1/2" shaft.

Whether or not a 1/4" shaft would be sufficient for your design depends on the load placed on the shaft and the availability of drive gears/pulleys/sprockets or whatever drive mechanism you wish to use in that size.

HelicalCut
09-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Luis

Take the load off the shaft, if the pinion has a 1/4" bore, turn the mounting spigot down to fit the nearest size bearing and set up this in a housing so that it carries the load, 1/4" is a rather small shaft for a motor putting out over 3 ft Lbs of torque, that is over 60lbs on a 1" Pitch diameter gear not including thrust from the pressure angle.

lamicron
09-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks for answers, I think to go up to 1/2" shaft for the gantry and leave th 1/4" shaft for the z and x axis.I'm using 20 pitch gears, 20 teeth , I choose from the info in threads.
Luis

ROB C
10-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Nice machine, i like it

Pyrotechnical
10-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Here's a picture of the machine in action, and another of some parts cut out of 1/4" plate.

It can be seen in the pics that the slats have been installed.

scrambled
10-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Pyrotechnical-

What size tube is that for the gantry? How heavy is it? From the picture it looks sturdy.

Steve

Jcar
10-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Nice looking parts.

Pyrotechnical
10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
What size tube is that for the gantry? How heavy is it?

The gantry tubing is 2"x3"x0.120". It's roughly 4lb/ft and is ~5 ft long.

Pyrotechnical
10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Will you share you motor/gear/rack combination and source?

I'm sorry for overlooking your post. As mentioned, the motors are Kelling 600 ozin from kellinginc.net. The rack and pinion are from mcmaster.com and the pinions are 16 pitch, 20T 1/2” bore finished spur gear. The rack is sized to match and was purchased in 6' lengths.

drafterman
02-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Did you have to mill or grind your cold rolled rails?

Pyrotechnical
02-28-2008, 07:20 AM
I didn't. I selectively chose and cut the pieces used based on the location of nicks and dings in the material. I was able to straighten the rails due to adjustability in the rail mounting.

The surface finish, while not mirrored, is shiny and smooth. There is some minor pitting on the edges due to the forming process that doesn't cause a problem as the bearing rolls on the flat material around the pitting.

The 2" width doesn't vary more than 0.002" in width from end to end.

millman52
03-01-2008, 05:45 AM

Cold rolled stock be it round or flat usually holds within .002 tolerances. On normal machine shop equipment It would be next to impossible to improve those tolerances over the long lengths used on a plasma table.

In fact if I were going to attempt to mill or grind my own rails I'd start with hot rolled strap steel. The rolling process on cold rolled stock builds up stress in the material. Practically any machining process on cold rolled material begins to stress relieve it. In turn the stock begins to warp & bow.

Neil

Mongkol
08-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Pyro,
-Do you use safety charge pump with your circuit?
-Which mode switch of the 1000 hypertherm do you use as cutting?

Mongkol