PDA

View Full Version : Bad scratches Stainless Steel

whiteriver
04-21-2004, 09:33 PM
I have some 20ga 304 2b finnish stainless hemispheres that have some scratches on the inside. I put them there by using a medium scotchbrite wheel on a 5" sander. I was trying to remove some raised marks I put there during electropolishing. Had some water marks that left deposits after electropolishing. Now I have deep scratches from the scotchbrite. I need a silky smooth surface before I re electropolish them. I tried a buffing wheel with black rouge. Its shinny but the scratches are still very noticable.
How do I get the scratches out without makeing more?

Donny

Rekd
04-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Slowly..? :shrug:

;)

You may have to work down to the black rouge, starting with something just a bit smoother than what you scratched it with.

whiteriver
04-21-2004, 10:00 PM
I tried a very fine scotchbrite wheel but it didn't take out the scratches from the medium wheel. And at $25 a wheel I don't wanna go back and get a fine. Not to mention they had none in stock.
What about 300 grit sandpaper on a da. Kinda hard to get in there maybe.

Donny

HuFlungDung
04-21-2004, 10:09 PM
How about a flapwheel?

You might as well resign yourself to starting with a coarser grit and working your way back to the polishing stage. Its faster than trying to do it all with polishing equipment.

crasher455
04-26-2004, 10:20 PM
I usually use a grade A6 3m Trizak belt on stainless steel to take out the minor scratches before buffing.
However for hard to reach spots I recomend using a Walter quickstep fine"blue" surface conditioning pad followed up with a Walter feltpad with emmery compound.