PDA

View Full Version : SolidCAM - the SOLID choice

Piobaire
07-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi there!

Now at last there is a forum for SC that are the CAM-software that grows alot in users all around the world. A completely intergrated solution along SolidWorks that are strong and confident. I've used SW sice -97 as a designer and also have a toolshoop since 2004.

I'm now running on a Hurco VM1 with SolidWorks Office Premium and SolidCAM full 3-axis + HSM and love it. Soon there will be a Harrison M400 CNCi teach-in also up, but still alot of hours left to get it updated.

Any questions or need of assistance, I would be happy to help if I got time.

:cheers:

Piobaire (Sweden)

jlwright
09-21-2007, 10:22 PM
What other software packages have you used for Cam? I use Gibbs and have used Surfcam and EdgeCam. I use WorkNC for 3 axis mold work. I use SolidWorks for my Cad. I'm curious about how it compares to other brands.I called for a Demo and no one even bothered to call me back.

Piobaire
09-22-2007, 02:52 AM
I've done a market survey before I got SolidCAM. I looked at MasterCAM, EdgeCAM and even CAMWorks (also a SW-plugin). Also some budget CAM solutions like MadCAm and VisualMill for Rhinocheros.

I'm a designer and work almost full time with 3D surfaces of different consumer products, prefarebly molded parts. Then I've a toolshop for doing prototypes, fixtures and mold cavitys. I started own business in 2000 and choose SolidWorks as a design tool over alot of CAD-software that I've used over the years.

As a long time user of SolidWorks along with Rhino and mine type of work, a CAM system that was integrated was very high priority as I understod the advantages. Integration, easy to use, control and of cource surface quality and nice toolpaths in the end was mine demands and then there was only one system left. A choice that still are right, expecially after the release of HSM-module in SolidCAM.

Have you not got a call back ?! Any problems or questions of the demo, please give me a mess and I'll try and solve it.

Best regards
/Piobaire

Piobaire
09-22-2007, 02:58 AM
Here you've got demo download and getting started training manuals etc.

http://www.solidcam.com/downloads_overview_en,2712.html

Very soon the version 11.2 will be released as a demo, I got it and run it already and it looks even more nice.

If you don't have download capability, I could send a CD.

Best regards
/Piobaire

jlwright
09-24-2007, 08:04 AM
I'll give it another try today and see if I can get someone to talk to me.

Thanks so much for the information.

Jim

Dan B
09-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Just think how great the support is going to be when you can't even have them call you to sell the product.

Dan

jlwright
09-27-2007, 03:53 PM
You're exactly right. The other concern is the closest reseller to Arkansas is Florida. They finally did return my call and said they are sending a DVD that will show all the features of the software.
I sure don't have a warm fuzzy feeling yet.

Jim in Arkansas

NexGenMfg
10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Piobaire,

Nice to meet you. I'm here to help too.

As far as a dealer not returning your sales inquiry... unfortunate but as I said in another post, the reseller network is new in the U.S. I met the AE for the Fla dealer the other day, and he was sincere and obviously very competent. I think your problem is with the sales process logistics, but I'm confident this AE is taking care of customers.

Brakeman Bob
10-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I have been using SolidCAM for three years and I cannot fault the support we get from SolidCAM UK and on the rare times they haven't been able to sort it out, SolidCAM Israel seem to respond very quickly.

I machine brake calipers from solid for motorsport applications so I only ever program designs generated in house on SolidWorks so I suppose my agenda is different to someone taking in CAD models from all and sundry. I find the SolidWorks side of things increasingly useful for designing fixtures, form tools etc. and I am trying (along with our Design people) to move the company away from using AutoCAD LT for 2D drawings and use drawings generated from SolidWorks.

Up until the beginning of this year I was programming for 3 Mori Seiki horizontals with indexing 4th axis, but last Christmas we got our first five axis machine - a Hermle C20U - and boy, does that thing knock out work!

The five axis side of SolidCAM is OK, as is the HSM module, but both have a lot of parameters and switches - I am finding new things all the time.

All in all, we are very pleased with our decision to go for SolidCAM - so much so that we have bought a second seat.

CNC_USER
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Jim and others,

The lack of follow-through is in no way an indication of our lack of interest or regard for providing the best service possible. I won't make a bunch of lame excuses or refute your claim. Although this comes as a major suprise, I only pledge to make sure we provide the very high level of service we have been known for over the last 17 years. I will call you immediately to schedule a demonstration and will research to ascertain why we did not get back to you in a timely manner. Rest assured, we have support people on a dedicated help desk as well as field engineers who provide the best solutions, often in real-time.

My apologies,

Shaun Mymudes
CAMSouth

jlwright
10-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Update on SolidCam. I made contact with Shaun by cell phone. He was at a trade show on the East Coast but mailed the DVD demo disk the same day. He apologized profusely for the mixup in getting back to me. He is very sincere in helping me with my software needs. I haven't seen the software in person yet but will report back later. I have no problem with the tech people being in Florida now since I learned they use " Go To Meeting" to connect with your computer to solve any problems you might have.

Jim in Arkansas

Dakota Kid
10-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Hello,

I am new to this website. As the other reseller had stated, Solidcam is fairly new in America. We have been working as resellers in the upper Midwest for a couple of years. We would be very happy to answer any questions. We service the areas of Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota. We also can help customers in Iowa, Nebraska, and Montana. Our company is Applied Engineering Technology, feel free to give us a call!

For the Dakota's, Nebraska, Montana - Call Paul @ 701-281-1884

For Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa - Call Kevin at 763-420-6600

Solidcam is now totally integrated into both SolidWorks and Inventor. It has been a great package to work with!

Thanks,
Paul