PDA

View Full Version : Recommended bits

biotech1
07-09-2007, 12:35 AM
what are the recommended bits to buy or start out with. Is it better to buy 1/2" or 1/4" shank bits. I read that 1/2" is better because of stability. looking for some advice..

judleroy
07-09-2007, 02:59 AM
The only way you can get good advice is for you to let us
know what your cutting and what machine your using to make the cuts.

Judleroy

joecnc2006
07-09-2007, 08:18 AM
I use CMT bits from woodcraft, 1/4" shank on all the bits.

2 flute 1/4" upspiral, 2-flute 1/8" upspiral, and the v-bits 60deg. and 90deg. (most start out with a 90deg. bit).

Joe

ccsparky
07-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Bio

I use the same bits as Joe, but have also purchased some 1/2 and 3/8 shank bits. I have the Hitachi and have used them a couple of times but for me see no reason to have them as the 1/4" shank bits do everything I want and I see no performance difference between them. I guess if you are doing some heavy duty cutting the larger the shank the better. Brian, I believe has been using some 1/2" shank bits on his work.

If you are going to purchase and use the ATC then 1/4" shank is what you want to go with. I purchased a hand full of collets from Enco Once you have your bits set to the same height in the collets, it is real nice being able to swap bits and know they are already set at the proper cutting height. I've given the ATC kudos about the ease of being able to quickly swap bits and have the all set at the same height, but, I am still undecided about the ATC as I have had some inconsistency with some cuts and at this time am not sure if it's the ATC or something I am doing.

The v-bits I have are mostly 90 and a few 60 degree, 1/4" shank, with 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" diameter.

Bob

biotech1
07-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys that's what i was looking for I'm excited about starting and have to get online for some bits. My homedepot or Lowes have some bits but i dont trust there quality..

Pat.

bp092
07-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Buy what you need to get started, then add as you find need for them. Soon you will build quite a collection.

When I started off I bought these:

1/4" upspiral
60 degree vbit
90 degree vbit

All 1/4" shanks. 1/2" shanks are better but not always required. When you get into larger tooling they sometimes come standard.

Then you will probably consider bits like these:

3/8" ballnose
1/8" ballnose
1/8" upspiral
3/8" upspiral (not neccesary, but I use it to hog away material and lessen the vibration problems I had with a 1/4")
And also larger vbits. I started with 1/2" vbits for tighter lettering and getting in tight places, sharpening inside corners etc. Now I have bought 3/4" vbits as well.

Stay clear of home depot bits, both their ryobi and porter cable are bad. Porter cable makes awesome power tools but their bits are far from good for long term use. I've bought whiteside (recommended) and cmt, also freud makes decent bits. http://www.woodcraft.com has 10% router bits in store I believe for whiteside; I got a new rabbeting set last weekend and it came out to the same price as the cheaper sets they had there with that sale. Theres also another site Ger has posted in the past for tooling that offers deals on spirals; if you buy 2 or something they sharpen them for free. Forget what the site is though.. doh!

Just remember; buy carbide tooling when you can. And those "carbide" woodcraft bits are cheap carbide. You wear them out (just like cheaper home depot bits) incredibly fast; especially with mdf!

Hope this helps!

ClaudioG
07-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Woodcraft have 10% of Whiteside if you buy 3 or more bits.

Sears have Freud bits a lot cheaper than Woodcraft.

Probably cheaper to buy on-line though.

Jason and Bob gave me some good info a few weeks ago on Post #7 and #8 here;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39051

Claudio

bp092
07-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Sorry the 10% deal was only till the 7th http://www.woodcraft.com/tenoffsale.aspx?banrotate=TRUE but it didn't require 3, at least not mine. Maybe they have another deal though on whiteside bits 3 or more. I like the freud bits though and claudio made a good suggestion; one I was unaware of about sears being cheaper. I have a ballnose and vbit that I have used heavily (freud) and they show little signs of wear.

CanSir
07-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Geez, I was all set to order a half dozen router bits from woodcraft and was all excited because they offer "borderfree" shipping to Canada! The first sign of trouble was when they had to remove the "CMT 60 degree laser point tip" bit because it had the evil "laser" word in it. The deal breaker however was when I discovered that the "borderfree" 3-9 business days shipping was going to cost me $40! I could understand something reasonable like $20, but $40 for such a small package is insane. I'm afraid that the U.S. economy will have to get by without my meager foreign contribution.