PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried HF QCTP

James04
04-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Anyone know if the Harborfreight Quick change tool post set 42806-3VGA is any good? Ill be using it on a Homier 7x12 Mini Lathe.

James

cncadmin
04-22-2003, 10:07 PM
I was thinking about making my own, but I'd like to know myself if it's any good.

HuFlungDung
04-22-2003, 11:19 PM
You should study whether the locking method used on these posts is really to your liking. It would appear that you have to scrounge around for an allen wrench to clamp the dovetails onto the tool block. This could get a bit annoying if you have a lot of tool swapping to do.

The better ones have a large handle on top of the tool post to lock the tools with a quick 30 degree push of the handle.

The only thing I don't like about the square toolposts is that it is not handy to get the tools at other angles other than 0 or 90 degrees. And, if you went to a little trouble to align the toolpost already for holding a drill bit parallel to the spindle axis, you don't really want to just yank it loose and swivel it.

Thus, even though I have a square toolpost on one small lathe, I prefer the 40 position quick change toolposts that allow you to clamp the tools at many convenient increments. But, these are quite pricey. However, they are vary repeatable, and good for use on a cnc, if you go that route.

Klox
04-23-2003, 03:03 AM
I have a drawing for a tri-angular tool post. On of my dad's friend made it up for his Dashin Prince lathe.
Interested?

Klox