PDA

View Full Version : Diy- Build Router In 10 Days

Pages : [1] 2 3

Khalid
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Here I am posting pictures of my first router build from generaly available structural material. I draw this router in my mind and start build and completed it within 10 days.

You can get ideas from pictures. Contact me if u need any sort of help or explanation.

High Seas
06-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Very Clever! Using the large diameter pipe as both the linear ways and the support for the Y Axis! Nice Idea!
:cheers: Jim

Khalid
06-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Here see some more details of my router

Khalid
06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
I have purchazed FET-3 dynamo controller card from stepperworld.com but it is not working although i checked all cabling many times. only x-axis motor jitters wheras there is no response from Y and Z axis.
I have read through the manual many times but i have not found any discrepancy in my cabling. I checked all circuit + components through voltage meter and ohmmeter but all found okay.
currently in following pictures i just connected z-axis drive with Hi-torque jumper position. please tell me what i m doing wrong.

I want to see my router running...
Best regards.

harryn
06-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Any chance that you are getting binding of the screws ? I suppose one way to tell is to see how smoothly things turn by hand.

Khalid
06-28-2007, 03:32 AM
The lead screw move smootgly by hand. It is 7/8" 8UNC threaded rod. I hope 200Oz in motor will get no trouble by moving the gantry.

sawmiller
06-28-2007, 07:56 AM
on the power supply, did you modify it with the power resistor across 5 volts ?
if not, it might not be fully on, thus not giving you enough voltage or current.
i noticed you have the 5 volts wire hooked up to the board, does that circut also power your motor ?

sp-cnc
06-29-2007, 01:41 AM
I am not familiar with this controller, but in their packaged system they use a 24V 3A supply for the motor side.

Are you sure you can use a 5V supply on the motor end?

eerikkarts
06-29-2007, 09:30 AM
SP-CNC you understood wrongly
PC PS is designed such way that 5V circuit must have some load and it means that 12V not hold load and voltage goes down without 5V circuit load and whats why driver board fail. Couple Amps (0,2Ohm and 10W resistor) on 5V circuit will be enough to hold 12V voltage on load

NC_jimbo
06-29-2007, 09:56 AM
I have run across PC power supplies that need a 100ma trickle charge on +12V (i.e. 100 ohm 2+ watts) to keep a stable regulation. A slow digital voltmeter may be giving you an inaccurate reading on +12V (i.e it may be toggling on/off and your meter is too slow to see that).

sp-cnc
06-29-2007, 01:53 PM
My observation was that stepperworld has a full package with power supply, motors, etc. at http://www.stepperworld.com/FET3economy.htm which uses a 24V supply.

I didn't go into the controller schematics, but some do have a minimum voltage > 12V for the motor side. I have since looked at http://www.stepperworld.com/FET3dynamo.htm which has references to just using 5V so yes, this controller should be able to drive the motors with just a 5V supply and my previous comment is not relevant.

After making sure that the PS is in fact working correctly with enough load on its lines, check the pulse rate of the steps.

What happens when you try to turn the motor by hand while connected to the driver? Do not give it any step instructions, just have it hold its position and see if you can easily turn the motor by hand.

Khalid
11-06-2007, 03:07 AM
modified pictures will b soon sent...

svenakela
11-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Great Khalid! This is a great proof that there's not need for high quality industrial items to make a router. Thumbs up.

Regards,
Sven

Khalid
11-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Revamping & DebottleNecking of My Machine

1) Decreased Z-Height, installation of slide rail with Ball screw
2) Removal of spindle motor ( Pencil grinder) and modification in spindle motor holder for 1600 Watt router
3)Installation of Ball screw inplace of ACME threaded rod at both X & Y axes.
4) Adjustable workpiece holding mechanism (fixtures with simple design idea)
5)Installation of counter weight
6) Shifting to 48V power supply (Previously i was running on 5V supply)with controller from EMMKAY.

WHAT I GOT:
1) My IPM increased from 5IPM to 12 IPM with 5V powersupply to motors.
2) Trial run on new controller and 48V Power supply, resulted in 100 + IPM.

Khalid
11-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Z-axis with counter weight

Khalid
11-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Now my next step is to manage the cabling... and i m going to do it...

Weldtutor
11-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Khalid,
A very ingenious counter weight!
Congratulations. It looks as if you will soon be cutting.

Khalid
11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Thank you WELDTUTOR for my counterweight installation idea:

Hmmm... Ya i am cutting:-) but i not tried yet with new controller... here are few inintial pics of my work(nuts)

Khalid
11-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Modification for Mounting 1600Watt router...

Khalid
11-07-2007, 02:41 AM
Here u will find how i clamp the workpiece...

Khalid
11-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Machining of NGV of gas turbine pictorial view:
a) CAD MODEL
b) HORIZONTAL ROUGHING 6MM BALL MILL
c) SIMULATION RESULTS OF ROUGHING OPERATION
d) FINSHING OPERATION WITH 3MM BALL MILL
e) SIMULATION RESULTS OF FINISHING OPERATION
f) WOODEN PROTOTYPE

SOFTWARE USED: VISUALMILL V(nuts)5

Khalid
11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
today i recieved my 6" chuck for 4th axis

harryn
11-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi - nice project - and nice woodworking as well.

What kind of wood are you using ? It has a nice grain.

Khalid
11-07-2007, 01:20 PM
my dear freind.. i dont know the botonical name..but here in IndoPakistan we call it SHESHAM...

harryn
11-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Thank you. I found Sheesham in wikipedia.org. It seems to be related to Rosewood, which is quite a nice wood, but becoming rare / endangered in North and South America. I understand it is still quite available in your area.

That wood is a nice choice for projects.

I hope you don't mind me saying it, but I am kind of glad your project is taking a bit longer than 10 days to really finish. My own project is taking MUCH longer and I was feeling really silly. :)

Khalid
11-07-2007, 10:38 PM
1st picture at the top of the 1st page is actually working router that i made in 10 days.. ( I have no drawings of this router at the time of fabrication, i just have structural steel, a welding machine and bearings +controller and motors and i made it in 10days), You know that improvement in everything is there..nothing is perfect... so i m contineously step into the series of revamping of my router...

Thank u for compliments..

Khalid
11-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Check it out.

contactirfu
11-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Asalamalikum Khalid miyan,

Nice work and ingenious router.

Keep up the good work of inspiring a lot many. I will post my build soon. I got my ball screws in Junk yard for 3K INR both x and y . X is 4 ft and y 33inches both are as good as new.

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
11-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Thats good from where u got ball screw??/

contactirfu
11-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Thats good from where u got ball screw??/

I usually scrounge the Junk yard for heatsinks for the geckos I have and suddenly spotted teh ball screws. The guy over there did not know the actual value , think he himself had got it for over 500INR and then I took it over from him for 3000INR with nuts and tehy both run great, I have cleaned and kept them need to apply grease so that they dont start to rust!

I have the X table ready, lets see if I can start a thread over this weekend, in the meantime can ou tell me how you have coupled the steppers to the ball screws?

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
11-08-2007, 10:25 AM
I also got my ball screws from junk yard.. including SHIM PACK COUPLING (spider coupling type)..i connect the motor shaft and lead screw through this coupler...

Khalid
11-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I recieved my rotary Chuck for 4th axis... Soon i will b playing with it..

harryn
11-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Please keep posting any pictures you have of the wood carving - it is very beautiful.

Khalid
12-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Rough Cutting 12 mm End Mill at 100 IPM
Finish Cut 6mm Ball Mill at 100 IPM
Final finish with 3mm ball mill not carried out yet....

Total Time for Roug+Finish cut took 2 Hours

contactirfu
12-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Asalamalikum Khalid miyan,

What software are u sing, if artcam can you email me the relief file and the program file,
to irfanulla@gmail.com

chk out my router build here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=378018#post378018

My router should be up and running by Jan End. pray for me.

RGD
IRfan

contactirfu
12-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Modification for Mounting 1600Watt router...

Khalid Bhai,

I have a Makita router similar to urs (green in color though), can you tell me what mounting screws u used and what are the mount exactly.

Just let me know how you did the nount and what u used?

RGDS
Irfan

harryn
12-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Rough Cutting 12 mm End Mill at 100 IPM
Finish Cut 6mm Ball Mill at 100 IPM
Final finish with 3mm ball mill not carried out yet....

Total Time for Roug+Finish cut took 2 Hours

Khalid - Thank you for posting these pictures of your work. I am now very impressed, and will need to find some of that wood. Perhaps if I start now, I will have it by the time I finish my router and have learned enough about making it work.

Is this an image that you made or were you able to find an image to start with ?

Khalid
12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Thank u...I designed put it into physical form in wood.. I did nt use final finish cut with 3mm ball mill...i will soon post the finish pics...
best regards

Khalid
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
sorry Irfan..i could not see ur posts..i will soon tell u bout the modification along with pics.. currently i am in shutdown activity at my plant, so i come late at home...
hope u will not mind..
best regards

ICTguy03
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Does anyone in this forum know how to get in touch with Digirout CNC? I purchased a new D1000 and after 7 weeks of waiting, have only received about half the machine.

Thanks
glynn@ictsigns.com

contactirfu
12-13-2007, 05:25 AM
sorry Irfan..i could not see ur posts..i will soon tell u bout the modification along with pics.. currently i am in shutdown activity at my plant, so i come late at home...
hope u will not mind..
best regards

ASALAMALIKUM,

Its ok, you can do it on the weekend.

Thanks for the support.

CYA

contactirfu
12-23-2007, 01:48 PM
kHALID bHAI

Assalamalikum,

You forgot my request havent U! :)

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
01-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Some Fun Work playing with my CNC:):)
Irfan now tell me please didnt u got the idea what i arrangement i did to my spindle router. It is just attached with its own 04 body screw and i just simply put/weld the levelling spacers as i shown in pic of my previous post. The plate is of 10mm thick and material is carbonsteel.

contactirfu
01-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Khaild Saab- Asalamalikum, How is the situation in the surroundings, I was worried as to how you were and also no responses.

Well see my thread I just figured out a way to mount the router and it is very sturdy.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=387422#post387422

WS
Irfan

Khalid
01-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Some more work:)

contactirfu
01-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Khalid bhai,

U have to give me those files, so that I can cut them.

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
01-07-2008, 03:15 AM
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19346&page=94
Irfan, just go through the above thread from start to end..u will find numerous 3D puzzle projects to download:)

Khalid
01-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Made a jackbolt arrangement for single hand tool change on this type of router:) Irfan u have to do some sort of arrangement for tool change tooo...

contactirfu
01-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Thankyou Khalid Sir

contactirfu
01-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Made a jackbolt arrangement for single hand tool change on this type of router:) Irfan u have to do some sort of arrangement for tool change tooo...

Should probably use some sort of latching mechanism, rotating the screw consumes time right?

some sort of cam operated lever may be?

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
01-07-2008, 03:33 AM
Yaa.. I just hand tight the bolt..and it take 1 minnute to latch:)
Try ur ideas and post some pics:)

Khalid
01-07-2008, 03:42 AM
After retrofitting with EMMKAY made PIC controller and using 48V power supply, my IPM (rapid) increased to 120IPM and i removed the counter weight as the higher voltage and current hold tight the z-axis motor.
I made the butterfly and Scorpion in 15 minutes Each:)

Khalid
01-22-2008, 10:56 AM
This is some of my work for upcoming event "Funfair cum Charity show" on 26th Jan,2008. I have little time to finish my work:(
Ohh.. The art is created in VCARVEPRO:)
What u say:)

joecnc2006
01-22-2008, 11:27 AM
nice work.

Joe

Khalid
01-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Joe:) Its great honor for me that u posted in my thread:) i am very happy today for ur this kind act:)
Best regards
KFK

contactirfu
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
What should I say, i am dumb and speechless.........

WOW WOW, did u buy V carve or was it using the demo version.

Just fantastic. Let me know more on how u did it. what bits u used and what ever u can share!

RGDS
Irfan

kram242
01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Yes bit sizes, nice work!

contactirfu
01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
on teh door side image u have carved on teh EDGES , tell us how you did teh EDGE design , its looking fantastic, MORE INSPIRATION TO COMPLETE MY MACHINE.

GEE THNX :)

Khalid
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
hmm I used 12.7mm 90deg V-carving bit.
All the designing carried out my Wife.. Soon i will post complete door in assemble form.. lot of work still to do and time is running fast:(
Ya Vcarve software is the best ..
I did nothing special...
Regards
KFK

Khalid
01-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I will place the scenery in the center of my door..and i will keep 6panels at the top of scenery and 6panels at the bottom of scenery:)

contactirfu
01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
:D

Iam convincing my wife to do just that! I will show your post to her for some inspiration, BTW she does beautiful hand sketches.

So u tell V carve is best! I was thinking of purchasing a copy myself. Hope I can do it soon.

WS
Irfan

contactirfu
01-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Khalid Bhai, the edges ..... how did u do the edges.....

Khalid
01-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Oh..i cut all the door parts by the carpenter..they have router bits for such formation of edges.. I also have router bit set but i dont use them..i just use V-bits and end mill cutters for my work..all those parts i done with 12.7mm 90 degree V-bit cutter alone:)
Yes the artwork is very time consuming:) so my wife is not happy with it..i do job so dont have time for artwork. I just cut the parts on my machine.
Ohh..yaa u also buy the CD of Vector art Mega collection, Aridi art etc..they have all the design for v-carving:)
Now tell me what may be the cost of this door? I will give half of the cost in charity:)
Regards

Khalid
01-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Other view:):D:D:D:violin:

CarveOne
01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Khalid,

You are doing some really nice work with your machine. Please show us what the completed door looks like when it is completed. Give my compliments to your wife for her artistic skills also.

CarveOne

Khalid
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks CarveOne for compliments:) I will post soon...

thkoutsidthebox
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Very very nice. Good job! :D

Khalid
01-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks thkoutsidthebox
Today i forward my door to carpenter for assembling and polishing:) n i decided to carve a mirror frame so that it can be kept with door in upcoming funfair :rainfro:

EMMKAY
01-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Very Impressive work Khalid ! :)
All you need next is to make a rotary axis to do nice round legs for tables and stuff ;)

James Marshall
01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Very nice work! I hope I can put out simular work. How did you jig up the long pieces and do multipule cuts?

svenakela
01-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Nice carvings Khalid!

Tony Mac
01-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Fantastic work Khalid!

Very impressive carvings and you are certainly getting the most out of the machine + software :-)

It's great to see what you are making and Thanks for posting the pictures.

Keep up the superb work but also find time to look after your wife :)

Tony

Khalid
01-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Kamran Brother
I am very happy with your controller. Its very optimized and fine tuned... Thanks for appreciation and gr8 help in the days when i needed.

Dear Tony Mac:)

Without VCARVE PRO iwas unable to do such a great job. The software is user friendly and efficient:) The toolpath generation and optimization is great:)
I love its simulation capabilities and BMP to vector conversion technique... I recommend this software strongly to all users with/without CNC experience....

Dear James Marshall:
Thanks for ur kind words.. I didnt use any special jig... Its just alignment of the workpiece on the table..

Any questions highly appreciated
Best regards

Khalid
01-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Another mirror frame was done today:) I am facing time shortage but happy that i have done few things to place.

contactirfu
01-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Khalid miyan,

sorry for the late replies .... but got stuck pretty bad at office and work!

You really got a fantastic job done out there. Just plain beautiful, here they charge anywhere between 700 and 1000 INR for a square foot of 3d carving so I am expecting v carving to be in the range of around 500+

So did u try out Art CAM insignia and then V carve. Or did you right away went and bought V carve. let me know bcos I too need to decide if I am gonna buy which software

probably V carve with all the reviews and it still being so much so cheaper.

Keep us posted on the assembled / Final products pictures and response u got from the general public in the fair u r attending.

Best of Luck!

WS
Irfan

Khalid
01-24-2008, 10:46 PM
thank you Irfan for info on prices... ArtCam Insignia and VCarve Pro both software have almost same capabilities and almost same GUI. I never have Artcam (just watched the demo) and found that Both are userfreindly and almost all the tools a woodworker require:). I dont know why i love VcarvePro but the software is really gr8. I think $500 is not much for such a great software. I will recommend you to buy VcarvePro.

Now if you planning to do 3D stuff then CUT3D shud be ur second option... I suggest you (if u have extra money) get the complete package from Vectric. Tony there is great....

I am planning to get CUT3D...if my door sell then i will ...

Following is another picture of Mirror frame i did yesterday...

contactirfu
01-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Khalid,

The bigger mirror is too good, its simple and beautiful.

2000 for the door! thats a lot of money! what wood is it made of.

Tony at Vectric is a real great guy! he is a great marketing and sales man.

I donno I dont have that sort of cash right now, though once my machine starts making products, i need to get stuff aligned and straightened up.

I am just waiting for the timing pulleys from Manjeet, i will call him now!

WS
IRfan

Khalid
01-24-2008, 11:53 PM
no comments...

Khalid
01-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Today i will get the polished door and hope i will post the picture :) Do You have any idea about the price of the sceneray in the middle of my door......search the net for such doors and u will see the prices...:)

As it will be place in tomorrow charity cum Funfair show, so i seek assistance from u all great peoples to help me in setting the price... Please post the estimated price (just post price of the carving work, i will add the wood price myself) and i will put the average price tag on the door tomorrow. I will keep half of the price and other half goes in charity...
Best Regards

contactirfu
01-25-2008, 12:36 AM
ACtually I was talking about the carving alone. the price of cnc carving in my city is just 1000INR per sq foot, say for a 6*3 door is 18Sq foot. thats around 450USD to just carve or lesser.

Great to know that we can charge so much. I am looking forward to start earning from my machine :)

Since I am on the lower side ..... dont include my prices for ur door! :D

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
01-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Here is the door:) Lot to work but time short:(

contactirfu
01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Khalid :)

where is the DOOR! :D

the pic never made it thru I think.

Khalid
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
i think i missed the door...then when i put the picture the server down..:(

CarveOne
01-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Khalid,

So that was YOU that crashed the CNC Zone server!!!
Just kidding. :)

The door really looks impressive. You have set a very high benchmark for the rest of us. Congratulations!

CarveOne

Jason Marsha
01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Wow, the door came out really good.

Jason

thkoutsidthebox
01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Fantastic :)

Khalid
01-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Yesterday was very cool day:) Our stall got the attention entire day, as the complete work was carried out by us( my woodwork and my friend candles work)...One of the frame was sold to Managing Director and the second one was sold to General manager plant.

Many orders in my pocket:) Door recived the complete attention. I didnt sell it, despite i have customers to buy..i will place it in my drawing room:)
Following are some pictures of the show.

contactirfu
01-27-2008, 02:31 AM
Very Nice,

where are u in the pictures?

and how much did u sell the mirrors for?

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
01-27-2008, 02:37 AM
i am not in the picture bcos i took the pictures:) i sold the frames 66 dollars each.

contactirfu
01-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Thats good money u made!

congrats on the first income from the cnc

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
01-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I machined a model 300 x 200 mm (12" x 8") with 100IPM and cut time was about 1 Hr 10Minutes. Tool was 12mm end mill for rough cut and 6mm ball nose for finish cut. I didn't tried final machining with less stepover using 3mm ball nose.

I did all my work in two weeks.. next time i will prepare from the start and i will make exhibitions... My aim is to provide quality stuff so i am continuously experimenting with:)

All that done only with the help of this gr8 site and the great peoples here... I am thankful to all of you who continuously taking pains to resolve the problem i faced...

Khalid
01-27-2008, 12:05 PM
The above Mooze scene is a scaled sample. I will make the door covering the same scene in full door.

Khalid
01-29-2008, 08:50 AM
I dont know how to change safe Z value in Vcarve Pro???? if some body can help me:)

Tony Mac
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi Khalid,

The Safe Z = The Rapid Clearence Height on the Material Setup Forum.

I hope this helps,

Tony

Khalid
01-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Thank You Tony Mac... Vcarve Pro and its team is the best:)

Khalid
02-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Recently i got a problem of lifting of z-axis after certain lines of gcode in 3D contouring resulted in high z at different locations .. The bug was caught when i opened my controller box. one of my recently installed Z-axis modular card that was sticked with the help of two sided tape, detached and found on the top of Y-axis card.

Thanks God my both cards are safe.

Khalid
02-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Here is the fish picture after z-axis been rectified:)The fish carried out with 3mm ball nose mill with 100IPM:) in a single pass. The part is about 76mm x 125mm(3" x 5") took about 25minutes to complete.

Khalid
02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
some more work:) thank you Vcarve Pro u made my life easy:)

Khalid
02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Today i recieved my Vectric Cut3D software:) I machined one of the Roman style column by using Slice Function of the software.:)

Following is the link of the details of method i used.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52033

Khalid
02-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Mirror frame after polishing:)

Khalid
02-09-2008, 09:40 AM
4Feet x 2.5Feet mirror... sold about $50 US.. The mirror used was of 5mm thickness...
Your comments will be highly appreciated??? dont leave this page without comments...:( :)

thkoutsidthebox
02-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Great Work! :D I think $50 was a bargain....notwithstanding different inflation/interest/exchange rates. :)

Khalid
02-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Great Work! :D I think $50 was a bargain....notwithstanding different inflation/interest/exchange rates. :)

Thank You thkoutsidthebox for comments:) I just visited your website:) great work u have done......and nice website tooo...

CarveOne
02-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Khalid,

Nice work (again). Is the wood you are using a species of wood that is native to India? If yes, what do you call it? It looks just like southern yellow pine from southeastern USA.

CarveOne

Khalid
02-10-2008, 12:49 AM
CarveOne..You have a good Knowledge of wood:)... Ye , this is the Pine wood, i dont know from where it comes but it is imported from Europe:)... We import Exchanger tubes from Europe, and this wood is the Packing Material:)

Thanks CarveOne:)

CarveOne
02-10-2008, 06:01 AM
Khalid,

Pine is a very useful wood around here. It is the major wood that is used in home construction, making paper, and is a major industry here. It's also one of the fastest growing woods. My home is surrounded by large forests of it.

I wondered if you were paying "exotic imported wood" prices for it in India. :) You're doing a good job of recycling it for good purposes.

CarveOne

Khalid
02-10-2008, 07:13 AM
I wish i would have a forest around my home::(

CarveOne
02-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Khalid,

I have about one acre of wooded land that I didn't clear cut when I bought this property. About half of the wood is yellow pine and the other half is oak, poplar, and other hardwoods. Most of it is too small to be of value for the lumber, so I plan to leave it just as it is for the benefit of the local forest critters that need it.

My apologies for thinking that you are in India. I just realized that your posts show Pakistan. :o

CarveOne

Khalid
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Khalid,

I have about one acre of wooded land that I didn't clear cut when I bought this property. About half of the wood is yellow pine and the other half is oak, poplar, and other hardwoods. Most of it is too small to be of value for the lumber, so I plan to leave it just as it is for the benefit of the local forest critters that need it.

My apologies for thinking that you are in India. I just realized that your posts show Pakistan. :o

CarveOne

Nice to hear..I like Pine Trees...In Northeren area of Pakistan we have snow fields and glaciers..there we have K2 and snow carved mountain peaks...we have plenty of pine trees there..i spend my summer holidays there...I like natural beauty too...

No apology...:) my friend....

Khalid
02-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I hate MDF dust:( because it make me look 80 years old when my router finish work on it. My hairs, face, clothes looks like i have spent 100years in desert...:( Basically i plan to build my second router out of MDF:) Now i will expose myself, room and other BIRDS like flies and mosquitoes (hehehe...flies mosquitoes happy on their upgradation from insects to birds, now they will eat MDF proudly and die...:))to taste some amount of dust for the last time..:)

Today i start cutting the parts, again MDF:(,for my DUST Collection unit. The complete unit is DIY based and very cheap... I will use 500CFM blower to cater for the needs of my 1st Router, the second one under construction , my saw cutting unit etc..

See my build and if u have any queries i will try to answer...
NOTE: All the parts cut with the help of VCarvepro 4.6..
Best Regards

contactirfu
02-24-2008, 01:18 PM
very good ideas, and very good description of urself while handling mdf. LOL

imagining myself in ur foots:)

passs on the design later to me sir.

CYA

Weldtutor
02-24-2008, 01:36 PM
I hate MDF dust:(my DUST Collection unit.

Nice collection unit you have built. It should do a fine job for you. :)

This link (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30282&cat=1,42401) is to another system.

Khalid
02-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Dear Irfan;
As soon i completed and commision the DC unit and check the results,I will send u the step-to-step description along with V-carve file where applicable.

Dear Weldtutor;
I didnt complete the unit yet...However one of the above picture shows how the unit will look like after completion.Following pic shows the working principle of this dust collection unit. My unit will capable of handling atleast 4-5 woodworking machines. After completion of unit i will make different attachements for my other machines. also i will post the DIY valve to controll the flow.
Thank u for posting the link:)

Khalid
03-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Was quite busy (I broke the record of a Bee..) in preparation of forthcoming Turnaround of my Plant:) ...The time was too short to assemble the Dust Collector system ...Today i made my hand a little dusty and assemble 80% of unit... You will see the pictures soon after 02 hours (the camera is not with me right now:()
My friend EMMKAY is in search of 500CFM/Hour blower in KABAR Market (Junk Yard)... Hope he will find a cheap one for me...

I am very thankful to TonyMac from Vectric for his great help and support...

Cheers

Khalid
03-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Here are the picture of the Unit-I (Coarse particle dust collector)....:) ..After completing this unit i will make the fine dust collection unit...

Khalid
03-09-2008, 01:32 PM
And my work on WIND MILL in PROGRESS.... I have got Permanent magnet DC motor from Junk yard and when i turned by hand and short the wires i get good sparking...

I checked it on Lathe machine and at 450 RPM i got 14.7 Volts...i will check the amperage soon...Here is some progress... The blades (each length 800mm) are made out of 8" PVC pipe (U can get 4 out of 8" pipe) the hub is from MDF...

Initially, i just assemble the blades on MDF hub, i place i" stud bolt in the hub and came out of my home.... The blade start rotating in gentle breeze...suddenly i feel i was loosing control due to very high rotation of blades.. one of my finger injured and i fell down the rotor...One of my blade broke..thanks God i have a spare one... I will never do it again...:)

joecnc2006
03-09-2008, 02:34 PM
I see this as a possible hazard, please be careful with experimenting with blowers, it is better if you can purchase one. Do not underestimate the power of a spinning blade.

Joe

Khalid
03-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I see this as a possible hazard, please be careful with experimenting with blowers, it is better if you can purchase one. Do not underestimate the power of a spinning blade.

Joe

Hmmm...We have a place where we get the second hand parts...almost everything is available there...All geniuine....We check them first and then buy... All type of ball screws, welding machines,THK rails, Motors, generators, valves,GLG's, arms..everything(except VECTRIC PRODUCT:( :)) very cheap... We have here in Pakistan SHIP breaking industry...a lot of healthy blowers recieved from there...

I am just afraid of combusion/explosion from statically charged MDF/wood particles..i will ensure earthing of my system...

Thanks for ur suggestion Joes...I wish someday i will make ur great :)Hybrid...:)

Khalid
03-13-2008, 12:06 PM
My 2nd MDF router under drafting (attached picture shows some initial work ...) :)... The expected work area is 800 mm x 1200mm...(32" x 47")... I will use ACME 5/8" 5TPI single start lead screw... Will use skate bearing for rails... Will use Teflon Nuts for screw...
I will use teflon slide rails on Z-axis with 3/4" 14 BWG SS tubing...

Next month will be quite busy in turnaround of my plant (Urea-Ammonia complex)...i will end the drafting phase and will make all the drawings till the end of this month....

Working in progress...Hope i will construct the complete machine in 01 month time frame after plant T/A...

jckstrthmghty
03-13-2008, 05:01 PM
I've seen these plans before. The only thing I don't like is there is no helical on the inside to optimize the dust separation. I'd highly recommend adding this feature. Wouldn't take much effort at all.

Khalid
03-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I've seen these plans before. The only thing I don't like is there is no helical on the inside to optimize the dust separation. I'd highly recommend adding this feature. Wouldn't take much effort at all.

If u have helical information then pls right here:)... I dont know wether helical will be hanging inside the cone fixed at the top or the helical will be attached along the periphery of the cone? just send ur thoughts...
regards

mhasting2004
03-14-2008, 04:44 AM
Hi Khalid

Here's a site with everything you may want to know about helical seperators. Lots of info and sobering facts about the risks of dust.
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneMods.cfm

Cheers

Mark

Khalid
03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Mark...thank u for such a knowledgable website:0

jckstrthmghty
03-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Perfect. That's the site I've gotten all my information from. Excellent site indeed.

Khalid
03-15-2008, 09:28 AM
My second router parts...I am drafting and cutting on existing router... I made a 4-flute tapping die for threading teflon nuts...

Khalid
03-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I will use 5/8" 5TPI ACME threaded rod as lead screw...

Khalid
03-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Today was a holiday and i did some work on my Z-axis. Following are the pics assembling in progress:)

CarveOne
03-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Looking good. I like how you have integrated the motor mounting as part of the assembly structure, and how you have routed the dados so that there is automatic alignment of parts during assembly.

Can you easily get to the bearing trucks to align those and tighten them down after the Z is assembled onto the gantry?

CarveOne

Khalid
03-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Thank you Carveone for posting...

Looking good. I like how you have integrated the motor mounting as part of the assembly structure.....

Nope..i am not going to integrate the motor mounting directly on the structure... if i do this i have to sacrifice atleast 50 mm (2" ) of z-travel (i.e. bearing +coupling)

.....and how you have routed the dados so that there is automatic alignment of parts during assembly.

Routing dadoo's is the idea inspired from Mr. Joe...It help really in alignment and assembling...

Can you easily get to the bearing trucks to align those and tighten them down after the Z is assembled onto the gantry?

Yes i have two options..
1- to fix the bearing rail at the top and align it from the bottom plate...
2- I have a space at the top rear portion that has an accessibilty to the tightening of nut, that is the case if i pretend to fix the bottom rail and give the top rail loose for alignment....(i will soon post the pics for further explaination)

I hope you will understand my bad english...:rainfro:

BobF
03-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Looks good. I can certainly see Joes influence. :-)

CarveOne
03-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Thank you Carveone for posting...

Nope..i am not going to integrate the motor mounting directly on the structure... if i do this i have to sacrifice atleast 50 mm (2" ) of z-travel (i.e. bearing +coupling)

I hope you will understand my bad english...:rainfro:

I saw the motor sitting on top of the assembly in your photo and assumed that it was to be mounted directly to the plate. My error.

I'm sure that your English is much better than my attempt at your native language would be. :) I understand you just fine. I admire the speed of your builds. My build has been at a stand still lately for various reasons.

CarveOne

Khalid
03-17-2008, 02:01 AM
I saw the motor sitting on top of the assembly in your photo and assumed that it was to be mounted directly to the plate. My error.

I just sat the motor on the holes to check the top plate holes alignment with motor. Anybody who see the above picture can mislead..Its not ur error, its mine...:)

I'm sure that your English is much better than my attempt at your native language would be. :) I understand you just fine. I admire the speed of your builds. My build has been at a stand still lately for various reasons.

Thank u for ur kind words bout my fractured english:) I want to build my machine in one month time frame... But due to lot of other work i may not complete it...However i am trying to achive the target time...

I wish to see ur build...can you paste here the link of ur thread ?

Khalid
03-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Attached some pictures of my x-axis gas pipe...I ground the 3/4" gas pipe at the bottom with grinder and then attached 48 x 50 x 3mm CS strips with each 4 holes of 3mm drilled...i will attach those pipes with (16+16+16 mm) x-axis MDF support..

Also i am attaching the pic of 3/4" SS tubes of my z-axis slides..

CarveOne
03-17-2008, 07:16 AM
I wish to see ur build...can you paste here the link of ur thread ?

Yes, it is here:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43894

It's a Solsylva 25x37 wood frame router with some modifications. I used red oak because it is a harder and more stable wood than pine lumber. There is some purple heart wood in a few places as well.

CarveOne

Khalid
03-17-2008, 08:06 AM
I have two options to set the rails in my long axis... please comments which is more suitable..

1- One with roller verticaly mounted
2- Other with roller horizontal mounted

You can say it OPTION1 and OPTION-2...

kram242
03-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I think this would be a better option using the best of both worlds
It would take care of the weight of the gantry and the side to side rocking of the gantry as well.
I'm no engineer but it makes sense to me :)
Mark

joecnc2006
03-17-2008, 11:29 AM
option 2 is good if you have a torsion box between the rails and can not achieve the top and bottom from option 1 (which is the best IMO).

Not your latest in combining both is good, but i foresee it being a bear to get properly aligned and all bearings touching. If you see my 2006 model I have the sliding bearing adjustment plate which compensates for this in that particular design.

Joe

Khalid
03-17-2008, 11:22 PM
I think this would be a better option using the best of both worlds
It would take care of the weight of the gantry and the side to side rocking of the gantry as well.
I'm no engineer but it makes sense to me :)
Mark

Very good idea Mark:) You can do out of the box thinking and this is my certificate to you:)

Thank you Joe for suggestion...I am keeping one of my side adjustable as i did in my metal router..without this we can't do anything... One thing i want to share that in my metallic router On z-axis out of 08 bearings 02 bearings not touching but it work well:)...The same with my long axis...

I want your opinion on the Mark design... He said this will avoid side to side racking.... Is he right???

Looking for all cnczoner's for there opinion still needed...

Khalid
03-17-2008, 11:31 PM
option 2 is good if you have a torsion box between the rails and can not achieve the top and bottom from option 1 (which is the best IMO).

Not your latest in combining both is good, but i foresee it being a bear to get properly aligned and all bearings touching. If you see my 2006 model I have the sliding bearing adjustment plate which compensates for this in that particular design.

Joe

Joe...In your opinion OPTION-I is better than option-II...:)I will see for it but the problem will be large span overhung from the vertical wall (see pic)...
I am also finding little trouble in Mark design... I think It will be difficult to mount the top bearings as compare to side one... The top bearings will be mounted on the Vertical wall of small axis and will have a larger overhang as compare to side bearing( Only one will have trouble as the one side will be fixed to vertical wall)...

Sorry for bad english:)

joecnc2006
03-18-2008, 12:54 AM
your top bearings should be fixed, and the bottom bearings used to apply pressure to top and resist uplifting, with the top bearings fixed it is easier to have the machine/gantry parallel to the cutting bed. instead of trying to adjust it out.

joe

Khalid
03-18-2008, 01:40 AM
You are genious Joe:) thank you....
1- What about the racking of machine ????can we eliminate racking in this option????

2- What about the side loads of router?? i.e. affect of forces generated due to router cutting left/right???

I am trying to complete the design with help from cnczone, and start building from Friday... Hope i will cover a good part till sunday...:)

joecnc2006
03-18-2008, 07:29 AM
You are genious Joe:) thank you....
1- What about the racking of machine ????can we eliminate racking in this option????

2- What about the side loads of router?? i.e. affect of forces generated due to router cutting left/right???

I am trying to complete the design with help from cnczone, and start building from Friday... Hope i will cover a good part till sunday...:)

1. how wide is machine, racking is always an issue to an extent unless the sides of the gantry are tied together i.e. belt, two leadscrews etc. I used dual rails to help minimize the racking on my 2006.

2. usually i do not worry to much about side loads from router, unless you are using unsupported rails or have the side rails are weak and allow side deflection.

joe

Khalid
03-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Dear Joe,
Machine Internal width as shown in pic is 1050mm ( 41.33 ")and the length is 1500mm(59").

Single screw in the middle.

harryn
03-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi Khalid, I just stopped by to admire your work.

I am trying to decide if I should show this thread to my wife so she really gets excited about the idea that my router my be capable of such nice work, or if this will just cause me more challenges in the future. :)

Nice work.

As far as the windmill, all industrial windmills in this area include an brake to keep them from spinning too fast in fast winds. They are often designed like an old fashioned "governor" which expands as the part spins until it runs into the wall and slows it down. This is a lot like a drum brake on a car if you are familiar with this construction.

Khalid
03-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Thank You Harryn for your support and appreciations:)... When my first machine was in building phase , my wife really annoyed when i was assembling the metal parts and giving a good amount of time to machine....She not know what the machine can do... I was giving the time to build the machine for just showing her the work it can create,so the name of the thread "DIY-BUILD ROUTER IN 10 DAYS".. The first word i wrote on MDF was KELLYWARE by using KCAM software... It was written ERAWYLLEK by manually up/down the z-axis..I was getting at that time only 5 IPM..I was very very happy that day..me and my wife just watching the machine working and we have no words to express our bright feelings then...

Now the same machine cutting at 100+IPM and all the work i posted here is done by my WIFE... i just place & align the part on machine...

Its good to show my work to your WIFE...She will be very happy with ur build...:)

Thanks for idea regarding windmill... it is still in progress...

Khalid
03-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Today i almost finalize the design of my Bed Torsion box:) I am keeping the design as simple as i can:)... Any comments????????:)?

Khalid
03-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Spring is here..and many different colors i see when out to my Lawn... Have some vegetables plants with tiny vege hanging...i see them daily..:rainfro:
u can also see woody wood pecker type of bird making sound googoooooo...shthooooooo googoooooo...shthooooooo googoooooo...shthooooooo(wrong)

contactirfu
03-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Nice flowers Khalid Bhai, how are things, one thing surprised me that u followed to a mdf build after u built a steel one. really gets on to surprise anyone.

:)

Khalid
03-22-2008, 06:35 AM
My Dear Irfan...Nice to hear from You:)
Hmmm... I will build my second steel router keeping in view the Mechmate style but just will be driven by Chain system as Weldtutor did...

I saw the MDF machine of one of my dearest friend EMMKAY (4 x 4) I think it works quite well.. Currently i am having some issues with my existing machine (I will try to rectify them later)...But i want to experiment with MDF, and i saw the Joes machine and its great work..I hope my second machine will be more accurate and reliable as compare to my existing steel router...
Three reasons to build in MDF:
1- MDF is very very cheap, no welding...
2-I can cut the MDF material of new machine with the existing one
3-Its very light weight so less inertial forces, High IPM...

Best Regards

KFK

What about you and howz ur trip... :)

Khalid
03-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I have got problem in my LONG AXIS ball screw:( its stuck..i think the plastic stopper inside the ball nut are wornout...I will replace it after TA of my plant...So my machine break down again...:(and the work on my new router stop temperorarly...

I hate the plastic parts in ball nut.... iHow can i reuse the ball nut if the plastic parts are damaged...is their any other way to make it run...:(

Khalid
03-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Here are the pics of damaged plastic guidways/stopper inside ball nut... I am going to experiment for fabrication of same inserts and will see the results...If you have any alternate options/modifications to run my ball screw..pls provide your valuable inputs...

Khalid
03-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Hurra....I solve the problem....:)

Khalid
03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
some update on my new machine Bed torsion box... The picture was taken when my machine just break down... i will do more work after few days...

harryn
03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Khalid - I think you will find that construction from MDF is not so light as you might initially imagine. Perhaps make the non - moving parts from MDF and anything which moves consider making with aluminum.

It is a LOT easier to cut than steel (not much worse than wood) and at least for me, more stable to the realities of the world than MDF. If aluminum is too challenging, then I personally would use plywood instead of MDF, but each has its advantages.

Can you tell I am not that big of an MDF fan ? :)

harryn
03-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Khalid - I think you will find that construction from MDF is not so light as you might initially imagine. Perhaps make the non - moving parts from MDF and anything which moves consider making with aluminum.

It is a LOT easier to cut than steel (not much worse than wood) and at least for me, more stable to the realities of the world than MDF. If aluminum is too challenging, then I personally would use plywood instead of MDF, but each has its advantages.

Khalid
03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Khalid - I think you will find that construction from MDF is not so light as you might initially imagine.

As far as MDF cutting on my existing router is concerned, i am taking it very light...I just assembled my Z-axis torsion box and it was quite easy...I dont know what difficulties i will get on complete assembling...

Perhaps make the non - moving parts from MDF and anything which moves consider making with aluminum.

Hmmm...I kept very less budget for my MDF built...I am just experimenting with MDF...Also for me Aluminium is very challenging because i have no VFD installed at my router, it gives 25000RPM straight...My machine is smart enough to do work on Aluminium/steel but for this i require coolent and a variable spindle drive, none i have...
I saw many persons here happy with MDF made machines including Joes2000...

Why?????????????????????:confused:

harryn
03-29-2008, 10:35 AM
As far as MDF cutting on my existing router is concerned, i am taking it very light...I just assembled my Z-axis torsion box and it was quite easy...I dont know what difficulties i will get on complete assembling...

Sorry for not being clear on my wording. MDF is a very dense (lot of mass per volume) and usually must be thick to be useful. This tends to make MDF based machines have low vibration, but large for the same cutting area.

Hmmm...I kept very less budget for my MDF built...I am just experimenting with MDF...Also for me Aluminium is very challenging because i have no VFD installed at my router, it gives 25000RPM straight...My machine is smart enough to do work on Aluminium/steel but for this i require coolent and a variable spindle drive, none i have...
I saw many persons here happy with MDF made machines including Joes2000...

Why?????????????????????:confused:

When I work with it, I have problems with screws breaking out, nut and bolt assemblies "squishing" the MDF, water spills and rain leakage ruining the parts (over time), and dust - lots of smelly dust.

Yes, I am aware that MANY others seem to be able to make this material work for many things, I am just not one of them. I stick with plywood, and more recently aluminum. After 49 years, I am still a beginner. :)

Khalid
03-29-2008, 11:32 AM
When I work with it, I have problems with screws breaking out, nut and bolt assemblies "squishing" the MDF, water spills and rain leakage ruining the parts (over time), and dust - lots of smelly dust.

Yes, I am aware that MANY others seem to be able to make this material work for many things, I am just not one of them. I stick with plywood, and more recently aluminum. After 49 years, I am still a beginner. :)

Hmmm.. Harryn It seems that your experience with MDF is not good... So i have too get some lesson learned from your experience:

1- I will make MDF water proof by using paint etc..I will also keep my machine away from any liquied things...

2- I will devise a way to avoid squising of my joints due to nut/bolts/screws tightening...

I think personel experience will give me some more lessons and consequently the ways to reduce the shortcomings in my new Machine...

I wrote somewhere that i HATE MDF...but as far as my new machine is concerned I LOVE MDF....:)

Khalid
04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
I did some work on my gantry x-axis support pieces...Almost 75% work completed..:)
Any comments????

CarveOne
04-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Hi Khalid,

There are ways to reinforce the bolt holes where there will be a lot of stress and the bolts have to be securely tightened to the point of causing MDF compression issues. Not all holes will need this treatment. Consider the following changes:

1. Use large pattern washers that are thicker than normal to help spread the compression load over a larger surface if there is enough space for the washers.

2. Drill the hole larger than the bolt shank and epoxy glue in steel or aluminum tubing. Trim the tubes flush with the surface of the MDF on both sides. Thin wall tubing will just collapse under pressure. The wall thickness of the tubes should be as thick as you have available.

3. Drill these holes larger than the bolt head and epoxy glue in hard wood dowels. The dowel should be a slip fit into the hole. Trim the dowels flush with the surface of the MDF on both sides. Then use thin cyanoacrylate adhesive to wet the end grain of the dowel for additional surface hardness.

CarveOne

Khalid
04-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Thank You CarveOne for your valuable information. You have given 03 best options to avoid the material (MDF) deformation when bolt tighten. I currently strict to follow ur option-1 of tightening bolts with washers. Your other two options are also very helpful in overcoming defficency of MDF.
Thank you very much for explaination. This may help a lot of other users who are building or planing to build MDF router.

Following picture shows the incomplete assembly of my BED torsion box. Its really very sturdy and when i assemble it , it looks like a monster(Individual parts donot give feel of hugeness:)

Regards

wyldesyde007
04-06-2008, 12:31 PM
You could also use cross dowels for areas where to pieces of mdf make right angles these make things far stronger than they would be by just threading into the mdf/wood
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=812-613&search=Cross%20Dowel

Khalid
04-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Dear wyldesyde007:
Thanks for information:) I am using wooden screw to tighten the MDF..I dont know what will be the affect of these screw after my machine commission.
:confused:

Khalid
04-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Keyboard is in my lap...with full of MDF dust:(....Today I manage to complete most of my MDF parts for my second router...The only part left to machine is Router mount plate ... I dont know How i can secure my router(spindle)... I have the same router installed at my 1st machine... It has the metallic base but in this case(MDF machine) i dont have any idea of its mounting arrangement:(:confused:
can u help me.....:confused::confused:

Weldtutor
04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
i dont have any idea of its mounting arrangement

Great pictures of your project Khalid! :)

A spindle mount similar to what you used for your first machine & shown back in post #19 should also work for the new Z axis.
A nut on the screw of the Z axis attached to the vertical part of the angle mount is then required.
The nylon guides would also be fastened to the same vertical part.

The Z axis picture does not seem to show the necessary nut between the vertical guides.

Khalid
04-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Great pictures of your project Khalid! :)

A spindle mount similar to what you used for your first machine & shown back in post #19 should also work for the new Z axis.

I afraid the MDF would not hold the weight of that router:(

The nylon guides would also be fastened to the same vertical part.

The Z axis picture does not seem to show the necessary nut between the vertical guides.

These are teflon guides:)...Offcourse i didnt mount the lead screw nut yet...
By the way, thank you weldtutor for appreciation and posting in this thread. i WILL SEE UR VALUABLE SUGGESTION ....

Khalid
04-16-2008, 08:46 AM
currently i am very near to Afghanistan (Thorkham Border)...Enjoyed the weapons market...and some heavy weaponary diz doz...
Will come back soon to start my CNC built...

Khalid
04-25-2008, 11:13 AM
some updates:)

Khalid
05-03-2008, 02:50 PM
A couple of days away from commissioning my new machine...Today i designed the router mount...(I have no slim routers available here like joes and u others are using)....

Will soon post some pictures..N one thing i tell u ...I HAVE NO RACKING ISSUES...(THIS IS DUE TO SOME VERY IN-EXPENSIVE MODIFICATIONS)....:)

TC

Khalid
05-04-2008, 11:43 AM
So at last i manage to make holding plate for my new Router...This router is different from previously installed in my all steel machine... So i came up with a different solution... I also manage to machine the MDF sliding blocks holding plate..You can see in picture violet colour...

In last i have posted the picture of my machine ...

georgeburns
05-07-2008, 12:23 AM
A couple of days away from commissioning my new machine...Today i designed the router mount...(I have no slim routers available here like joes and u others are using)....

Will soon post some pictures..N one thing i tell u ...I HAVE NO RACKING ISSUES...(THIS IS DUE TO SOME VERY IN-EXPENSIVE MODIFICATIONS)....:)

TC

I'm curious about your racking issue solution... what did you do?

Khalid
05-10-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm curious about your racking issue solution... what did you do?

I reinforced all the mating components by addition of Angle iron:) you can see in one of the picture below, i also reinforced the all 04 corners of Y-carriage with angle iron.........

Following pictures shows my machine current state...It is 100% completed mechanically:) I have just to add the controller and wiring:)...

Khalid
05-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Just did some paint over primer and it comes out very neat:)...I kept its name Chameleon after Gecko cheap drive....:)

Khalid
05-13-2008, 02:55 PM
The post intentionaly left blank... Very sad that many peoples view and without post..:(

contactirfu
05-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Good looking machine Khalid bhai, i am only waiting to see it run and you putting a video on you tube.

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
05-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Good looking machine Khalid bhai, i am only waiting to see it run and you putting a video on you tube.

RGDS
Irfan

Thaks Irfan, I will soon post the video......If peoples just put two words of critique here it will help me a lot.... So all u r watching...:)...post little bout...

Regards

Mongkol
05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Khalid,
I would like to know the detail of your router table.
1) What size of your table and working area?
2) Do you use ballscrew system? What diameter and lenght of ballscrew do you use ? Do you use ballscrew C10 or C7?

Mongkol

Khalid
05-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Khalid,
I would like to know the detail of your router table.
1) What size of your table and working area?
2) Do you use ballscrew system? What diameter and lenght of ballscrew do you use ? Do you use ballscrew C10 or C7?

Mongkol
Thank You MongKol:)
1- The size of my table is 60" x 44"
2- The working area is 48" x 34"
3- The travel of Z-axis is 7"
4- Nope in this machine i am using ACME screw (5/8"-5TPI)... The length of long axis(X-axis)is 62" and the small axis(Y-axis) is 46"... the length of the z-axis ACME screw is 17"...

Mongkol
05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi Khalid,
Thanks for info. If you use ACME screw,Tolerance is bigger than ball screw system.Is that correct? I am building router machine same as you. I use ball screw system for Y-axis at total lenght 2700 mm (working area at 2588 mm) and the diameter of ballscrew is 40 mm,pitch 10 mm.The tolerance of C10 ballscrew is 210 um.(This price is only 625 USD)I would like to know what is the tolerance of your ACME screw?

Mongkol

Khalid
05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Dear Mongkol:)
Nice to hear you are going to build Router...I will happy to see the thread of ur built:)...Are you using MDF as building block or steel?... Its good to use ball screws due to good efficency and tolrerances....
I am using ACME having less efficient (about 65%).....basically i will use it for wood where i need no high tolerance...
Best of luck to u:)
Regards

contactirfu
06-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Hello Bhaisahab! - where are you and how are you and what about the video of your machine on youtube?

bhool gaye kya hum sab ko?

Khalid
06-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Yaar.. How can i forget u brother:)..Welcome back...
Sorry.. I have still to install the stepper motor at my Y-axis:(...I need motor wiring configuration of SANYO DENKI 103H7126 motors..I don't know how to configure the wires( Common, X+, Y+)....I read somewhere that by using Ohm-meter we can distinguise the wires but still i am searching...I am attaching the Picture of Motor if some body can help me:)

contactirfu
06-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Its the same motors I have. Just refer any document for the unipolar drives, one center tap where you apply the voltage and the other two ends are used for control. so essentially you need to see the resistivity between the center tap and the ends. usually for my motors it was 0.5ohm per half coil so if you get 1 ohm then it is from end to end and you missed the center tap. if it shows zero resistance then you have got the wrong side of the coil.

contactirfu
06-02-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.khwelling.nl/cnc/hardware/pic/unipolar_coils.bmp

This might help

Khalid
06-09-2008, 02:37 AM
thanks for help..Irfan

Khalid
06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Its Alive:).... Great....

It looks beautiful moving with100 IPM...Soon i will make video and post here...

contactirfu
06-16-2008, 12:41 PM
HELLO SIR WHERE IS THE VIDEO :D

Khalid
06-16-2008, 12:49 PM
My dear Irfan:)...I have installed the tooth brush today...really working well...I made the candle holder with new machine at 100 IPM and its come out great..

Unfortunatly..i have no Video camera nowadays...I will try to bring my video soon:)...

Regards

contactirfu
06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Where is your video Sir.

Khalid
07-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I am going to machine tomorrow this scenery on my new MDF machine..The length and breadth is 5feet and 2.6 feet simultaneously. It will go deep 10mm in 12mm MDF...
The toolpath is created with Vectric Vcarve Pro 4.6...
I will use carving tool 12.6mm 60 degree Vbit.
Best Regards

Any improvement in this scenery will be highly appreciable...I will change the scenery on your advise and suggestions...:)

contactirfu
07-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Probably stain the mdf before routering it?

Khalid
07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Irfan ..please elaborate staining propcess...i am blank in this chapter

contactirfu
07-05-2008, 01:08 PM
its like getting the MDF polished tan brown, so that when you engrave mdf the lighter color in the bottom gets highlighted, or vice versa.

Khalid
07-08-2008, 01:32 AM
I already mentioned I am working on a scenery...So here are the pictures of it... The scenery was designed by my Wife and i carved it...The tool used is 12.5mm 60Degree V-bit with 5mm DOC/pass... It took 3.5 Hours to machine at 80IPM... The estimated time by VCARVE PRO was 3 hours and 45 minutes..that was too close:)

The material i used is 12mm MDF....

The scenery require finishing and colour...I called the painter today to colour it..It will take time..:) I will machine a decent frame for this scenery...

CarveOne
07-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Very nice work Khalid. Show us the painter's work when finished.

That would take approximately 11,67 hours on my machine at the 24 IPM maximum rate. If I am not completely without money after my workshop is finished I will need to build a much faster cnc machine to keep up with you. :)

CarveOne

Weldtutor
07-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Great scene!

The geese look wonderful.:)

contactirfu
07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
HI Khalid, whats with the video, thought you were gonna post one of your MDF machine!, and do post pics of the controller and the machine to see whats behind all this.

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
07-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Very nice work Khalid. Show us the painter's work when finished.

That would take approximately 11,67 hours on my machine at the 24 IPM maximum rate. If I am not completely without money after my workshop is finished I will need to build a much faster cnc machine to keep up with you.

CarveOne
Thanks CarveOne:)..I gave the scenery to the painter and he had many options to paint it....
Option-I: Painting complete scenery like a Painting, He will create the sky and shadow effects based on sun direction etc.Cost $64 US

Option-II: Painting in the carving only, with flat surfaces wood colour.Cost $50 US

Option-III: Staining the carved portion with single color and making all flat surfaces with wood effects.Cost $43 US

I gave a small sample scenery carved before, and asked him to paint per option-I. This will gave me an idea how it will look after complete painting.

My machine carving parameters not goes up then 30~45IPM, except the rapid motions 80IPM...so i think you will get it carved within 7 Hours time:)

CarveOne
07-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the painter's skills added to your own product. Maybe you can sell some of these at the bazaar and offset the cost of your machines. I hope to eventually offset the cost of my workshop using my cnc machine and by doing other types of paying work there.

CarveOne

Khalid
07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Maybe you can sell some of these at the bazaar and offset the cost of your machines. I hope to eventually offset the cost of my workshop using my cnc machine and by doing other types of paying work there.

CarveOne

I don't have good prices here:(...May be i didn't explored the big cities of my country...So its my impartial opinion...I will see the look of scenery after painting and hope i will supervise an exhibition to show my work..but its tooo late:(

Do you have a good market out there?...Your machine is a little bit slow...and if u give full time to CNC machining then it may cover up the cost of your beautiful workshop...No doubt its very beautiful...

It surprized me that your workshop boundaries and internal structure completed within a week:)...If you work hard on ur cncmachine then it would probably ended within the month..By the way very nice workshop at superb location:)...
Post more pics..My inlaws home is in the same type of locations here in my country..and she enjoyed watching the scenery and workshop:)

CarveOne
07-13-2008, 06:06 PM
There are crafts and hobby related things that can be made with cnc and sold locally and on the internet but I doubt that anyone really makes a good living out of their efforts. It mostly just brings in a little extra money. The radio control hobby has people making parts for airplanes, helicopters, and cars. The parts are usually specialty items that are "upgrades" for kits made outside the USA. Making 3D outdoor signs for the home building developers and other businesses may be a good thing to get into.

Look around at the signs that local businesses use and think of ways to make 2.5D versions for sale. Your wife can probably think of ways to embellish them with her artistic abilities. Make a couple of samples to show business owners to see if there is any interest in them.

My machine is a lot slow. My employer says that it is ok for our needs though. We will be doing other work while waiting on the cnc machine to finish cutting a sheet of parts. (If it is slow, it can't make sudden mistakes :))

Everything that I can make usually takes far more time and effort than it's worth for the little bit of money that it brings in. :confused: I can upgrade to a faster machine using the three 1/2-10, 5 start acme rod and ABNs I recently bought but I do not want to cut the rods shorter to fit the machine I have now. I would rather build a new machine frame that uses the full length of the rods for the x axis screws and the third rod would be cut only once for the y and z axis screws. There will be no wasting of these fairly expensive precision rods.

When the work crew finishes their work on Monday or Tuesday I will post a photo or two of the new workshop in my build log. I'm glad that your inlaws liked the scenery and workshop. Finishing the inside will take much longer since I will do most of it myself on the weekends and my available workshop funds has gotten very low. Power to the building, and lighting installation, is planned for next week. The insulation and interior finishing will probably be done next year.

CarveOne

Khalid
07-14-2008, 08:16 AM
A sample scenery was given to painter couple of days ago..this was to check the complete paint scenario on carving....attach are the results..please analyze and put ur critique here...:)

contactirfu
07-14-2008, 08:21 AM
HI Khalid,

Well the painting look good - but the carving has lost its lustre - if I may say that! I mean the painting is overshadowing the carving.

Your 3rd option would have been better , staining the MDF and having just two shades - one for the carved and the dark for other.

Thats just my opinion, looks good though!

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
07-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Irfan..You are right...I already told him to stain the carving and give the top the wood stains...:)

Thanks for critique:)

CarveOne
07-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Khalid, I really like the artist's painting and there will be people who are attracted to it. Irfan is also correct and his suggestion will attract other people, so my suggestion is to make a sample like Irfan suggests and offer a choice to potential buyers. Try dark background with lighter carved areas versus lighter background with darker carved areas. Some types of scenery carvings (or text) may actually look better one way than the other.

Objects that you can paint or stain yourself will be less cost to produce than the painted objects that will increase the cost if you have someone else paint them for you. Give potential customers a lot of choices and then eventually stop making the ones that don't sell. Good luck with your efforts.

CarveOne

Khalid
07-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Carveone ...I will follow ur advices...:)

Khalid
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM
A couple of days ago i designed and carved a table. The material of the table is MDF. I used 12.7 mm 60Degree tool with 80IPM..Total time of carving and cutting took 2.5Hr's..
MDF is 12.5mm thick. It looks beautiful, but i still have to stain it and give the colour of wood:)

Vector art designing and adjustment done by my wife and the rest of the table and its dimensions and style of legs were created by me... VCarve Pro 4.6 used for carving toolpath generation and Mach3 Quantum used as a controller software:)

CarveOne
07-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow, Khalid, that's some nice design and routing work. You and your wife make a good design team.

After the paint or stain work is completed I would recommend protecting the carvings with custom cut tempered glass disks for the table top and the smaller shelf at the bottom. It will protect the carvings from dust while showing off the carvings. The glass will be easier to clean than the painted carvings.

It would be nice to see one of these tables made using oak for the disks and purple heart, zebra wood, padauk, or or some other colorful natural wood for the vertical supports.

CarveOne

contactirfu
07-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Fantabulous work khalid miyan!

Khalid
07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Hmmm..I got the painting.... I am pretty happy with ourall outlook...Now I have to make a decent frame for it....

EMMKAY
07-25-2008, 02:10 AM
WOW, now that is a very very nice table...... I am just looking at the pic and admiring the work...
I am flabber gasted ! :)
abs brilliant keep it coming my friend :)

contactirfu
07-25-2008, 05:15 AM
now this makes sense! the scenery looks beautiful in two tones Khalid!

Khalid
08-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Currently I am involved in making some box type sitting arrangement for one of my corner..:)..Attached picture shows one of the pieces under carving operation...

Designing and toolpath generation carried out in VCarve Pro 4.6...I will show the details as i am proceed in this new venture:)...This part is 300 x 250mm and carving time was about 56Minutes:)...

I love wood burning effects in the mango wood:)

contactirfu
08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Thats so beautiful Khalid miyan, kindly lend me the G code I want to run this second on my machine! indeed beautiful,

did you do the boundaries of the wood (fillets) etc. on the same machine?

RGDS
Irfan.

Khalid
08-04-2008, 10:24 AM
did you do the boundaries of the wood (fillets) etc. on the same machine?

RGDS
Irfan.

Don't You Know the power of V-carve Pro????:):);)

contactirfu
08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Don't You Know the power of V-carve Pro????:):);)

well sort of yes and sort of no, lemme know how many different tools ya used for this. pls can you post some v-carve snapshots?

Khalid
08-04-2008, 10:40 AM
well sort of yes and sort of no, lemme know how many different tools ya used for this. pls can you post some v-carve snapshots?

Here are the snapshot (Thanks to BrianM,TonyMac and the Team..that provided the facility of toolpath simulation)...:)You can do complete job in V-carve pro by using V-carve bit, endmill and ogee or round over tool bit:)

contactirfu
08-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Got it!

well hope if all goes well I will be doing the same within two to 3 weeks from now, can you pass on the G-code file for this to me Khalid? (thru email)

The first thing I am going to carve on my machine would be haaza-min-fazli-rabbi

can you do a gcode for that and pass it on to me for say 200mmX300mm fashion?

RGDS
Irfan.

Khalid
08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Irfan:)...I will check the required file..if i found one, i will definetly post it to you:)..I will check the size of G-code file its upto 50K lines ..hope the size will small to permit me sending u the G-code...But you shud have V-bit 12.7mm x 60 degree...

I recommend you to get Vcarve pro from Vectric..contact TonyMac..He is very nice man...This will help you a lot and you will no need of anyone for making G-code..

Hope ur wife (Bhabhe) will help you in selecting and making of the designs....:rainfro: and you will unleash the powers of Vcarve pro..

contactirfu
08-04-2008, 11:01 AM
oh if the tool matters then hold on ! and you give me a picture of the tool , may be when i am ready to do it I might let you know what tool i have and then you can substitute the tool for getting a new gcode, right?

Khalid
08-04-2008, 11:04 AM
hmmmm.... Right:).......I hope u will soon commission ur machine and make some designs:)....Post the progress of ur machine in ur thread:)

harryn
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi Khalid, I am just stopping in to say "Hi" and look at your progress. I see that you managed to figure out MDF sufficiently to make the second machine. - Great.

I am not so fast as you - still trying to make time to work on a prototype of system 1. My wife has me busy fixing the house, gardening, and painting. (and of couse, work gets in the way)

Take care

Harry

Kipper
08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Beautiful work Khalid! I liked it all (I thought the painting added a special touch to an otherwise "machine made object") I look forward to seeing your next endeavours!

CarveOne
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Khalid,

What can I say except that I'm jealous. Nice work, again.

CarveOne

Khalid
08-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Harryn:)..Thanks for posting...I am happy with my MDF build and currently the work i posted is made through my second machine:)..Hope you wil speed up ur machine ...I will really want to see ur work besides the rails you designed:)

Kipper:) thanks for appreciations ..I will continue posting my work..so keep your comments coming:)

Helloo CarveOne:) I am jealous tooooo...:).. What a beautiful machine u have...:).... I wish to see it running and making designs:)...Hope u are doing well with ur workshop... and keep updating us about workshop and machine in ur thread..

Khalid
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Today about 3 hrs ago , I got a bitmap stored long time ago deep inside my computer, and decided to trace it in Vcarve Pro, The carving result was so good that I decided to carve the rest of the panels....

I planned to make this box in such a way that one side and its front, faces towards the viewer and the other side toward the wall...Now i have two sides differently carved so that whenever i want to change the view i just have to rotate the sitting box...

Machining time for All 04 panels was about 1 Hr and 52Minutes...each panel came out exactly 28Minute:)
Following are the pictures what i did today:)

contactirfu
08-05-2008, 11:36 AM
is the tool burning the wood, due to which you are getting the dark cuts?

Khalid
08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Ya..the tool is burning the wood:)..I like the burning effect so i didn't speed up my machine or slow down my spindle speed...Also i like the FRAGRANCE of wood smoke:)

Fursphere
08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Ya..the tool is burning the wood:)..I like the burning effect so i didn't speed up my machine or slow down my spindle speed...Also i like the FRAGRANCE of wood smoke:)

I would have done the same thing. :)

contactirfu
08-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Khalid
08-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I would have done the same thing. :)

Ohhh..So there are many folks around who do smoking in this way;)...No need of expensive cigarettes and just burn the wood and get free smoke :)...

Khalid
08-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I did carve all the panels of the bench:)...I will not carve the holding tabs of those panels..bcos it will make it very heavy...Like the door i carved earlier:(

I want to keep it simple and elegant...:) Tomorrow i will hand it over to the carpenter for assembling and polishing....Then we will see the actual beauty of the beast;)

Thanks for comments

contactirfu
08-06-2008, 11:07 AM
WHAT BEAST :D it can only be a door or a window!

may be you are calling your machine a beast - any reason for not posting pics of your mdf machine? :stickpoke

Khalid
08-06-2008, 11:25 AM
WHAT BEAST :D it can only be a door or a window!

may be you are calling your machine a beast - any reason for not posting pics of your mdf machine? :stickpoke

Oho..its a Corner Seating arrangement...At the top we will place a foam (I don't know the name in english) and it will be like box with hinges...Just open it and put ur things inside and close it and sit on it..

these are two.. 5' x 2' x 1.5' and 4' x 2' x 1.5' (L X W X H)....

and u can see the pictures of my machine in the following link..

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39588&page=15

I made a Bakwaas (cumbersome) video but it turns out 24MB with Mpeg file extension..How can i upload???

Khalid
08-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Irfan...I am not making doors, windows, mirror frames now:)...I am making furniture for my house:)...This furniture will replace the company provided one and it will be my asset:)...

As far as the current work is concerned it is BEAST for me..I am not a proffessional man....I never made furniture before..so for me this is a good challenging job...

Beast i called it bcos it taking tooo much of ur time..When you will commission ur machine, i will see how much work u will get out of it...;)...You have to design the things and it take a lot of ur time and machining also not an easy job;) u will know well...come on my friend...Welcome to the Party:)

contactirfu
08-06-2008, 11:36 AM
just do it on youtube

contactirfu
08-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I was just pulling ur leg Khalid miyan

Khalid
08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I was just pulling ur leg Khalid miyan

Its a bad habit:):):)(nuts)

Khalid
08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
did u see the machine:) whats ur comments irfan Miyan:)

contactirfu
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I also meant of your machine working with dust around, U C its never done without dust around!

contactirfu
08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
did u get to put your dust extraction system to work?, i know ur machine is very good, just post it together with controller and everything u can bundle up in pictures - it usually helps and gives a lot of ideas!

when taking pictures people also want to look at the machine working - it helps thm to decide what to go for - a MDF machine doing all this - many will be amazed - I am still !

kudos to you to have this running so well!

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
kudos to you to have this running so well!

RGDS
Irfan

Please elaborate KUDOS:)...
Well my machine still without dust collection system...Currently i am working on mango wood and i am having no problem of dust:)...However i started smoking;)

contactirfu
08-06-2008, 12:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Khalid
08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
OOOps....thanks for Kudos...In Urdu language, we say 'Kudo' to the dumb person:)...""Loki aur Kudo"...can u name in english 'Kudo vegetable'....
My MDF machine performance is very well as compared to Steel one...In steel machine i used ball screws from scrap, and they stucked during operation results in faulty workpiece...In MDF my ACME screw running very well..

In both machines I am using 200oz-in NEMA23 steppers...and still i am getting 80 to 100IPM straight....many of others using 300+ oz-in steppers NEMA34 with the same IPM..

So i think my design and hard work paying unexpectedly well for me...

Khalid
08-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Seriously thinking for addition of 4th axis to my MDF CNC...ideas...ideas...just thinking...

contactirfu
08-08-2008, 05:24 AM
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897

Khalid
08-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Irfan I don't needs idea for the software part of 4th Axis..I have no worries for programming side of 4th axis..currently I am just thinking of hardware part of 4th axis..

Hope making some design of 4th axis i will be able to machine few parts and i already have 3 jaw 6" chuck...

contactirfu
08-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Kahlid let us know how you will using and which you will be using on the software part.

Khalid
08-09-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.rainnea.com/

Khalid
08-16-2008, 06:01 AM
Yesterday I had a problem with my VCarve Pro.. The program terminated during toolpath generation...I checked the system thoroughly deleted my cookies, terminated my AVG antivirus but the problem not solved... I uninstall and reinstall the Vcarve Pro but for each time the program terminated during toolpath generation...I though my file is corrupted so i made a new file put some circles and run the toolpath but the problem was still their...

Atlast I contacted Vectric Support... Within minutes i got Mail from Mark Moran;)... and i send all my data and within 15 minutes of correspondance my problem was resolved..

It was my display setting problemmm...

But all of the quick response from great Vectric Team amazed me...The company with such a great response can't go down... and it grows and grows...

Thanks Vectric Team especially Mark
Khalid

Khalid
08-16-2008, 02:18 PM
yesterday my MDF machine ran 5.3 hours straight and today it keep up it pace and ran 3.5 hours...All of my parts carving for the second chest bench completed...One of my Chest bench assembled and completed ...It just requires polishing and some cusions i will bring from market today..

As i said the second chest bench carving is completed, i am going to hand it over to the carpenter for further work...I don't have camera so hope i will post some pictures day after tomorrow:)

currently watching pictures of my last year expedition to Nanga parbat in Pakistan;)... and refreshing my mind... In the first two pics extreme left is ME ;);)

CarveOne
08-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Khalid,

Very good photos of friends, and beautiful, rugged looking, mountain country.

I anxiously await photos of your VCarved chest benches.

CarveOne

Khalid
08-17-2008, 01:45 AM
thanks carveone...I will post soon;)

contactirfu
08-17-2008, 03:36 AM
Should I say "Dude" I thought you were much older! :D

and did u guys ever scale the nanga parbat? :stickpoke

yesterday my MDF machine ran 5.3 hours straight and today it keep up it pace and ran 3.5 hours...All of my parts carving for the second chest bench completed...One of my Chest bench assembled and completed ...It just requires polishing and some cusions i will bring from market today..

As i said the second chest bench carving is completed, i am going to hand it over to the carpenter for further work...I don't have camera so hope i will post some pictures day after tomorrow:)

currently watching pictures of my last year expedition to Nanga parbat in Pakistan;)... and refreshing my mind... In the first two pics extreme left is ME ;);)

Khalid
08-17-2008, 04:37 AM
Round about 31 year;);) not much...not less... We just reached at base camp...Nanga parbat is best known as 'The Killer Mountain'...So I want to live more...no need to suicide;)
We track to Trich Mir too.. it was a nice journey.. i love natural beauty...

Irfan can you provide me the data for the tool and workpiece so that i can send u the Gcode....

Khalid
08-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Khalid,
I anxiously await photos of your VCarved chest benches.
CarveOne

Basically the bench is the combination of 3D work and carving...All panels are carved using VCarve Pro and the 3D Machining of grapes and flowers carried out on Panel support members;):)

contactirfu
08-17-2008, 09:17 AM
the bit is a 90 degree v bit.

the size would be 2 sizes one is 1x1 foot and another 2x2,

Khalid
08-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Please tell me the size of the bit

contactirfu
08-17-2008, 11:31 AM
bit size - dims in mm.

Khalid
08-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Irfan please give me the dia as mentioned in attached figure.:confused:

contactirfu
08-17-2008, 11:46 AM
oops forgot that one!

its 12 mm dia

Khalid
08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Okay here you go..

I kept following setting

1- Rapid at 80IPM
2- Plunge 40 IPM
3- Stock size 304.8 x 304.8 (12" x 12")
4- Carving start point center in the stock.
4- cutter initial location top of the workpiece
5- Tool 12mm 90 degree V-bit
6- stock thickness 14mm (its my assumption)..Maximum depth of the carving will be 5.746 so ur stock must be thicker than the maximum depth

7- Estimated time 15 minutes for above conditions..

I am attaching the G-code and sample ... assuming ur Mach set in inches... I added G64 for CV mode on...

I hope u will enjoy the smooth fine cut of the part ... As u want to first cut the Religious sign so i gave u this sample..Hope u will enjoy Vcarve capabilities...

Your second file can't be done bcos it requires a lot of cleaning...

contactirfu
08-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Few small corrections - the router bit is a 90 degree bit, my mach setting is in mm,

kindly explain what CV mode is.

RGDS
IRfan

Okay here you go..

I kept following setting

1- Rapid at 80IPM
2- Plunge 40 IPM
3- Stock size 304.8 x 304.8 (12" x 12")
4- Carving start point center in the stock.
4- cutter initial location top of the workpiece
5- Tool 12mm 60 degree V-bit
6- stock thickness 14mm (its my assumption)..Maximum depth of the carving will be 5.746 so ur stock must be thicker than the maximum depth

7- Estimated time 15 minutes for above conditions..

I am attaching the G-code and sample ... assuming ur Mach set in inches... I added G64 for CV mode on...

I hope u will enjoy the smooth fine cut of the part ... As u want to first cut the Religious sign so i gave u this sample..Hope u will enjoy Vcarve capabilities...

Your second file can't be done bcos it requires a lot of cleaning...

Khalid
08-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Oops sorry...The above Gcode is with 12mm 90Vbit...
Your setting is in mm, so just add G20 at the top of the file...just edit it with notepad and place G20 at the top...

Read about CV mode in Mach forum or search here at CNCzone... By enabling the CV mode you will get smoothness in machine . no jerky movement, but it will little round off ur square corner..no need to worry in wood carving..

I already added G64 in the gcode file..this will automatically turned the CV mode on... just go to the SETTING tab in Mach3 and off the CV distance LED.

Cheers

contactirfu
08-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Khalid, should I take out something when I put in G20?

thanks a lot dude! my MOM was very happy when she saw the V carve pro window U attached.

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
08-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Nope u have nothing to take out...
Just in Mach configuration make sure that your moves are absolute;)

Pay my Salam to Mom...She has given us a genius guy;)

contactirfu
08-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Me genius, are u kidding me!

my friends call me a fool bcos I am still stuck with a job which pays very less for a type of guy like me!

I always tell them that I shall take a steep curve and bump ahead soon!

I donno when but!

anyways thanks for the complements.

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
08-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Don't forget me after getting ur goals achieved;)...

contactirfu
08-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Are you kidding me! People like your self and many CNC Zoner's are responsible for what we are now here - calling each other genius's

You dont cut your roots when you grow into a tree! right.

Let me tell you - all CNCzoners are sort of Genius's in their own sense - some may call em crazy but the dedication and will to take up a diy project and complete it will prepare a person to take up any difficult tasks in life.

- ah enough of this lecturing man - way OT!

as what happened to you dust extractor - gathering dust in the corner eh!

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I just bought a cheap blower;) will post picture soon... After finishing of work it suck all the wood particle and clean my space;)...Basically wood dust is managable as compare to MDF one;)

borsodas
08-18-2008, 12:14 PM
have you all seen http://www.buildyourcnc.com? its got hours of step by step video

Khalid
08-20-2008, 08:59 AM
A couple of days ago, I recieved one of my Chest bench in assembled form... At that time i have no camera so couldn't post pics:(...Todayi got oppurtunity and took some snaps....Still no sanding no polishing with no cushions.. The second one will be recieved tomorrow;) Hope to see ur comments...

EMMKAY
08-20-2008, 09:38 AM
WOW.. you know my address.. I would like to have two of these please ;)
well done.. it looks the biz...

contactirfu
08-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Maashaallah very beautiful!

thats the carved out door in the background in one of the pictures, right?

Khalid
08-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Emmkay;) without your help all this is impossible:)...

EMMKAY
08-20-2008, 09:50 AM
I guess, I must finish the 4th axis, so that we can move ahead with the designing :)

Khalid
08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Yes EMMKAY Brother;)..I am looking forward for your help in 4th axis stuff;)... Need the gears and belts;).. Hope we can get some good stuff with 4th axis...:rainfro:

Thanks Irfan:)... ya u are a keen observer... I installed the door but without knob.... I purchased a beautiful golden Knob for it long ago..but I am very lazy to install it...:)

svenakela
08-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Khalid, you've done some great work since last time I watched the thread. Very impressed!
If you want more info on dust collection, this is a very good site: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
Very fine filters is a must in the air box, 0.5-1.0 microns is recommended.

Very nice pic's from the mountains, Paki mountains are on my must-go-list! I just have some other places to go to first... :)

CarveOne
08-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Khalid,

Very, very nice work!! I'm impressed.

CarveOne

Khalid
08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
....Very nice pic's from the mountains, Paki mountains are on my must-go-list! I just have some other places to go to first... :)

Thanks for wathing my thread;)...
I will be happy to host u here in Pakistan:)

Khalid
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Khalid,

Very, very nice work!! I'm impressed.

CarveOne

Thanks CarveOne:)..
I am happy that you liked my work:)
Regards

contactirfu
08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Just impressed Carve one!

" MY MIND IS BLOWN APART"

I always thought that 3d carvings make sense for a cnc router and not v- carvings - Khalid made me change my mind on that one!

CarveOne
08-21-2008, 04:37 PM
contactirfu,

Khalid has a some very good ideas for using the cnc machine's capabilities for decorating everyday objects that many of us probably haven't thought of. I think we will see something new from Khalid and his wife that will continue to be more than just cutting out parts for more cnc machines and the usual R/C hobby parts. Just saying that "I'm impressed" is meant as a compliment and it is an understatement for sure. :)

I will continue to watch and learn what I can from this build log. I enjoy woodworking, and I will apply some cnc art to my projects as well.

CarveOne

contactirfu
08-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Khalid , i tried the file today!

i took the bit to a center of a wood plank and then took the z down to touch the wood plank, set all x-y and z to zero and then ran the program, suddennly the whole bit plunged right into the wood, i have picture of it, let me know if i have to do anything and work on it.

I think I have to learn programming now for this.

RGDS
irfan

Khalid
08-27-2008, 05:11 AM
Khalid , i tried the file today!

i took the bit to a center of a wood plank and then took the z down to touch the wood plank, set all x-y and z to zero and then ran the program, suddennly the whole bit plunged right into the wood, i have picture of it, let me know if i have to do anything and work on it.

I think I have to learn programming now for this.

RGDS
irfan
Sorry I was away to another city for some domestic problem and was untouch for 04 days from CNCzone...
I think your z-axis Direction and signal pins has to be swaped..or do something easy, change the direction of ur z-axis reverse (CONFIG-->PORTS AND PINS---> MOTOR OUTPUT ---change the Z-axisr 'Direction Low Active Value only')... If it is 'active high' then do it 'active low'...

If u see the G-code,
G90
G70
G40
G64
S16000
T1
G0 X0.000 Y0.000 F80.000
Z-0.787

The cutter has to go upfirst and then it should move to cut location...then it will go down and start cutting... If this is true in ur case , then it might ur servo can't hold the heavy Z.... If its wrong, then just change the Direction value in Mach-3 and try air-cut..

During Air-cut, ur z-axis will move up Z-0.787 from X0 and Y0 location and after it gets high, it will go to

G0 X-0.261 Y-0.883 Z-0.236
G1 Z0.147 F35.400
G1 X-0.221 Y-0.854 Z0.146 F80.000
X-0.020 Y-0.882 Z-0.000
X-0.221 Y-0.854 Z0.146
X-0.207 Y-0.780 Z0.092
X-0.190 Y-0.695 Z0.029
X-0.186 Y-0.676 Z0.015

all the remaining code is cutting, plunging..

Hope u will understand..

contactirfu
08-27-2008, 06:55 AM
got it got it!

Thanks Khalid!

Khalid
08-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Got gears and belts (for 4th axis) from my closest friend EMMKAY...Thanks Emmkay:)..Making drawings for it..The target completion date is 4th September...
Just learn now that my second Bench is completed...Going to get it right now...Will post pics tomorrow;)

contactirfu
08-27-2008, 08:33 AM
well i will catch u soon Mr. khalid!

I am just behind you!

contactirfu
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
HI khalid, thanks for your file - I had the first cut done today.

though not complete - it did bring a smile on the face of " me -wife - dad - mom - brother"

Khalid thanks for all the smiles.

here is what I cut.

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
08-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Irfan..Congratulations:)..Thats comes out really good;) what was the behaviour of ur machine while cutting it??

contactirfu
08-30-2008, 05:26 AM
nothing ! just very smooth cutting, but since the clamping was not good, I could not finish the cutting.

today I have just got a wood piece for this thing, i am going to cut a wooden cot for my Son soon.

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
08-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Got my 2nd Chests Bench... Both of them, still require finishing and polishing...:) I am very Lazzzzzzy:rainfro:

Khalid
08-30-2008, 08:56 AM
I guess, I must finish the 4th axis, so that we can move ahead with the designing :)

Yaa.. I must complete it by tomorrow, though I couldn't commission it due to lack of controller card:)... All metallic parts completed, just have to cut MDF parts tomorrow:)...

contactirfu
08-30-2008, 01:44 PM
khalid, can you psot me the files you did for the benches, with my V bit?

i will post it like advertisement in my shop, after doing it.

RGDS
Irfan

Khalid
08-31-2008, 01:21 PM
More updates on my 4th Axis:)...:rainfro:

EMMKAY
08-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Looks very good... what are you planning for the other end!... you will need something which has adjustability to tighten the workpiece between the two centres!

btw.. looks like the mdf catches fire! :)

Khalid
08-31-2008, 02:40 PM
hahaha... Ya I ran vacuum blower and the smoke got fire;) i am planning to adjust my Bed and small changes in setup;)

contactirfu
09-01-2008, 12:43 AM
The Smoke caught fire! , Khalid U must be careful, your whole router is in danger :D

Just one Q?

DO you now sleep in your bedroom? I dont see any space left :)

BTW nice work on the 4th axis keep it up!

RGDS
IRfan

Khalid
09-03-2008, 06:58 AM
DO you now sleep in your bedroom? I dont see any space left :)

RGDS
IRfan

Lolz:).. Its not my bedroom...Its one of the room dedicated to my hobbies;)

contactirfu
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
good that its not your bed room, i was wondering if you had a good thrashing from your better half for taking away a room.

RGDS
IRfan