PDA

View Full Version : V twin overhead valve engine

gilessim
06-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Hi there, I've just been making the Liney Machine rv2 flat four ,it's very fiddly and I dont have much experience with metal ,but 30 years with wood!.It's taught me a great deal because there are no instructions so you have to work out exactly how to make each piece ,and there's a bit of everything involved I only have a small lathe and a mill (no cnc) and it's been a good challenge!.Here's a photo of the bits I just need to drill and tap some holes and put it all together ,I'll post another pic when it's done. I have an idea to make a v twin overhead valve engine sort of like Harley engine ,but maybe with a gear train instead of pushrods ,does anyone think there would be too much friction for such a small motor?, I'm thinking of about a 5/8" bore ,3/4" stroke so there would probably be 3 gears driving 2 for the cams on top....thanks...Giles

Karl_T
06-08-2007, 08:04 PM
I've got no answers for you, just wanted to say I'm impressed that a beginner can take on such an involved project and do so well.

Menno
06-09-2007, 04:12 PM
very nice parts!
How did you make the crankshaft? Is it made from one piece?

dragons_fire
06-09-2007, 06:21 PM
youre parts look amazing for someone just starting out.

i havent built any engines other than a couple wobblers, but i do have some suggestions. if you have ever seen the little COX .049 model engines, they have a bore of about 1/2" and a stroke around 1/2". they are 2-stroke and run from nitromethane and alcohol. if you look up "cox twin .049" in google, you should find pics from people that have combined two engines using gears from RC cars. so from that, it shoudl be possible to use gear sets without too much friction.

i would recomment using "timing" belts like the ones found on www.smallparts.com (http://www.smallparts.com) . they should be more efficient, and a lot quieter.

just my 2-cents.....

gilessim
06-26-2007, 06:43 PM
sorry for the delay in replying, but thanks for the compliments folks!. yes the crankshaft is one piece ,I marked the three centres and set it in the 4 jaw ,turned the middle giornals first and after each one was done I stuck with superglue ,a small disc turned up for a good fit in the gaps, reset it in the chuck for the outside ones ,and then put it in the 3 jaw for the spindles each end.It's nearly done now ,I'll post a pic when it's running!...Giles P.S still working on the V-twin idea.