PDA

View Full Version : Austin Tx CNC'rs

KOS
05-27-2007, 10:53 AM
I acutally live right on the border of Cedar Park and leander and am looking to meet up with others who have the same machining interests as I do.

I actually enjoy a few different areas of metal working and shaping, I have converted my 2 car garage into a small machine shop, with 2 7x10 lathes and a 11x26 lathe. I recently just finished my X3 cnc conversion which is an up grade from the X1 cnc I used to have. I also have some sheet metal equipment like a brake/shear/slip roll and a 4 ton notcher. some small polishing, powder coating and anodizing equipment too.

would be interested to meet anyone around the austin area, and if possible is there any guilds too?

thanks
Dan

project5k
06-01-2007, 09:45 PM
im not in the austin area any more, but i do still drive up there on a regular basis... shoot me an email and maby we can hook up, i'd love to see your shop... i just got my x3 today, so im getting ready to convert it.... perhaps we can trade information, ideas, whatnot... I'll shoot you a pm with my email addy...

Mazaholic
06-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I did some work in a shop in Leander and Cedar park...the two shops were owned by the same person.
The one in Leander had an Integrex and an FH680 (what a frigin monster).
The one in Cedar Park had a Lathe..SQT15 or 18 i think...A little Tree taping machine and an old Mazak mill...I mean OLD!
You wouldn't know what shops i'm talking about would you?
I wish i could remember the name.

KOS
06-03-2007, 12:01 PM
hey guys thanks for the replies!

email sent project5k...

Maza, there is a shop close to me actually and I did see about a month or two ago a posting they had for a cnc machinist, but I cant remember their name they are off of CR272 or better know as crystal falls parkway..does that sound familiar?

are you still in the area?

maddaddy
06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey Kos, I'm a Machinist in Austin close to Cedar Park. I would be interested in getting together with other machinists and talkin' shop and comiserating and such.. I'm trying to set up a home shop for side work and personal projects and would like to swap ideas with like minded people.
-Casey Cook-

Mazaholic
06-04-2007, 06:03 PM
hey guys thanks for the replies!

email sent project5k...

Maza, there is a shop close to me actually and I did see about a month or two ago a posting they had for a cnc machinist, but I cant remember their name they are off of CR272 or better know as crystal falls parkway..does that sound familiar?

are you still in the area?

I'm about 70 miles North.
The shop i work at burned down about 10 yrs ago and we rented some machine time from them for about 4 months while our shop was rebuilt.
That was a PITA driving to Cedar Park,working 12 hrs and driving back.
also a PITA transporting raw castings back and forth and sifting thru burnt tooling to find something to make parts with.
The owner was pretty cool guy, and if i remember correctly they made parts for vacuum chambers.
The Cedar park shop also had a very large VTC Mazak(can't remember the exact number of the VTC).

KOS
06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey Casey I will send you a pm with my contact info.

Mazaholic...not 100% sure which shop that is. If it was off an old country road then it is probably the same one I am thinking about.

Do you head towards cedar park at all now?

Mazaholic
06-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey Casey I will send you a pm with my contact info.

Mazaholic...not 100% sure which shop that is. If it was off an old country road then it is probably the same one I am thinking about.

Do you head towards cedar park at all now?

The shop in Leander was out in the country.
The one in Cedar Park was in a little industrial area.
I remember it isn't far from the Whataburger:cool:
I haven't been to Cedar Park for about 6 yrs,the closest i get to Cedar Park is when i'm on my way to Austin or San Antonio.
I'll PM you the next time i'm going out that way.

KOS
06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
sounds good mazaholic. project5k is actually heading up to meet tonight.

macdaddy are you still around? havent heard back from you

maddaddy
06-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Hey Koz, I'll give you a ring this weekend.

Lee in Texas
06-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey Dan-
I live in Leander, off Old 2243. I don't have CNC yet but it's something I want to do. I have a Sherline 4400 lathe (17 inch bed) and Model 2000 mill. For the mill, I want to get all 3 axes extended with the A2ZCNC parts. I like making parts for model cars. I ran out of room trying to machine a 1/8 scale engine block/heads/etc. It's really frustrating to stack accessories then realize there's not enough travel to finish the part.

In my garage I have a Bridgeport mill that needs to be cleaned up a bit. I also have a South Bend 8x42 Junior lathe. It's old but looks near mint. No signs of wear on the ways. Scraping still visible. The big machines aren't up and running yet. I need to have an electrician come out and run 220 to the far side of the garage so I can hook up my phase converter.

I'm a real beginner at machining, but I am fascinated by it. I want to make bigger model parts, small piston engines, and real car parts. Maybe some gunsmithing...telescope making...who knows what else (??) Funds are really limited right now, though. I'm an apprentice plumber, but I'm working full-time for the National Guard near Dallas right now. When I go back to plumbing in Oct, I'll have about 9 months left until I get my first license. After that, I can get into converting and upgrading these machines.

I think it would be great to have a hobby machining club in the Austin area.

KOS
06-18-2007, 08:13 AM
oooh I would love to have a big bridgeport! We are only about 5 minutes from each other. send me a PM and we can get together some time and talk shop...

Dan

Bender57
07-01-2007, 07:59 AM
I live in LibertyHill. First worked in CNC back in 1980 at Gulfstream Aerospace. Now a Tech. at a local co. Small knee mill. tubing benders and a lot of ideas. I would like to get together with others and talk about our hobby. I think we could help each other out with projects.
E-mail me at
Jack.kolb@hospira.com :)

KOS
07-01-2007, 11:14 AM
hey Jack, welcome!

We seem to have a few people in the area now, although I have only met up with Joe.

Do you guys want to set up some time to meet and maybe have a shop day? We can go over different ideas of how to do stuff, possibly build something collectively or just sit around and get to know each other and find out what everyone is doing.

My shop is always open for anyone to stop in, I really enjoy talking about tools and projects and getting ideas from others. I know (and Joe can probably confirm) that I dont always do things the normal way..

If everyone is interested please reply to this thread and we can start getting something together.

Dan

Bender57
07-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Sounds good to me. I am in the middle of a plant shutdown now and wont be done untill July 9th after that I am free. If you want e-mail me and I will give you a Phone # and we can talk about it.
Where abouts is your shop? I know CP. very well.

KOS
07-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Hey Jack

I did send off an email with my info, just want to make sure you got it ok...

Bender57
07-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Just checked and I got it. Will call you soon.

KOS
07-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Hey guys if you are still around want to see about setting up a shop day sometime maybe in Aug for all of us to get together...

Please respond if this interests you and possible dates.

As well if you know of any other sites to post on as well please let me know....

bigbunny5
07-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Hey guys if you are still around want to see about setting up a shop day sometime maybe in Aug for all of us to get together...

Please respond if this interests you and possible dates.

Kos;
How far from Downtown Austin? I'm kinda a Nobie round here but I'd be real interested in coming to Austin for a Saturday shop day on the Amtrak :) I'm up here in Dallas about 3-3.5 hours from Austin on the train. plus it'd be fun to bring my Little Mini Mill I'm working on down to get others to Give hands on advice and opinions about the development of the portable mill I'm building:)

Bender57
07-13-2007, 07:13 AM
I now am getting some free time. KOS I will call you and we can set up something.

KOS
07-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Big Bunny, I am actually just north of Austin in leander, not sure where the train stops, but I would be able to pick you up.

I was thinking the middle to end of Aug some time? try to give some lead time to get people to get some time available...

Bender sounds good, looking forward to talking to you

Dan

KOS
07-13-2007, 03:43 PM
well today i posted in about 15 or so yahoo groups that I belong to. Mentioned having a get together etc...so I will see if i get any responses to help get a good size group together...

jdr
07-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Count me in too. I live and work in Austin.

Interest in CAD/CAM, injection molding, and hobbing as it relates to jewelry manufacturing.

Another Jack

KOS
07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
ah injection molding...I built one of the gingery hand machines a few years ago. Now I have most of the parts around for a pnuematic one include a pnuematice mold clamp with ejector pins...

welcome!

bigbunny5
07-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Count me in Guys
Found OUt Amtrack get's to Austin @9:30am and Returns next day every day making it easy! The Hardest part is I'm going to want to bring my MICRO MILL to get opinions and ideas , but they may put me on the do not Amtrack list as a terrorest for carrying on a computer controlled tool :) :) :) IS that hilton on the river near downtown still there ? it'd be kinda kool if we could all do it on a sat, so I can make a weekend Vacation out of it :) Been 1000 years since I was down on 6th street on a Sat night, I'm already looking forward to Matt's TexMEX for Breakfast!

bigbunny5
07-14-2007, 03:18 AM
If we ever have a shop day near Austin I'm buying the first 10-12 pitchers @ THE Armadillo World Headquarters :) Over on Barton Springs Road

KOS
07-14-2007, 11:14 AM
well look no further. Came across a group of guys already putting together a club. Seems like they just started a couple months ago, they have a yahoo group going right now
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AustinMetalworkingEtc/
everyone should sign up for the group to start to set up meetings etc...

bigbunny5
07-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Came across a group of guys already putting together a club..........everyone should sign up for the group to start to set up meetings etc...

Yea but their Sharks, and We're Jets. They'll never take us :) [singing] When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way! from you first cigarette your last dyin' days.

KOS
07-15-2007, 09:41 AM
hey guys make sure you sign up for that yahoo group if you are interested in a get together. We are talking about meeting sometime in august. There are 27 members in the group right now, varying degrees of hobbies and skills from the sounds of it. Seems like a good group of guys.

We are shooting for the first or second week in august to meet from the sounds of it..so make sure you join and introduce yourself!

I posted for the 11th of august right now for a shop day at my place...so make sure you get in there and discuss...

bigbunny5
07-16-2007, 03:18 AM
Hey KOS
I signed up and got a letter that I'm the longest distance Member :)I'm looking forward to a shop day with you guys and a big ole plate of encheladas at Matt Rancho Martiniz in Austin :)
Rick

Bender57
07-16-2007, 07:22 AM
I also did a little jewerly making some time ago. I still have some equipment.
E-mail is the best way to get me
jack.kolb@hospira.com

KOS
07-16-2007, 10:16 PM
so i did post on the yahoo group about a shop day on the 11th. Havent heard back from anyone yet, but be sure to post on there if you are interested in heading out that day.

joecnc2006
07-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm in San Antonio...

Joe

KOS
07-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Hey Joe

not far at all then...hope you can make it up!

Lee in Texas
07-28-2007, 02:01 AM
I'll try to be there on the 11th.

Bender57
07-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Do we have a address and a head count yet?

KOS
07-31-2007, 11:11 AM
hey guys be sure to respond to the yahoo group, I am getting a little confused right now...lol.

as of right now, it looks like 2 have said yes for sure, plus a couple more from here, and I will have to wait to see who else replies in the next week. I know another buddy of mine will probably come so we are looking at 6 of us so far.

be sure to post on the yahoo group so I can get a good count. i will sending out the address to everyone that responds with a yes...

Bender57
07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
I am not on Yahoo and dont want to join

Lee in Texas
07-31-2007, 05:06 PM
I will not be able to attend. I was offered the chance to make 400 bucks on that Saturday. Can't pass that up and buy gas for a 400-mile round trip. :(
(I'm working full time in Dallas until October)

kb18951452
08-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey there Fellas,

I'm in Beaumont Texas. This is exactly what i have wanted. Some hands on with other guys talking CNC. I've only been around for a year or so, but i am just now finishing my first CNC based on one of joes designs.

My wife is planning on giving us Twins a few days after that..... I'll have to run it past her if i can go. Its a scheduled Ceasarian ....

She is scheduled for the 14th, as of today. Might be able to slip out there. If not before the twins..... might be a long long time before i could get over to austin again.

If it matters.... Put me down for a Maybe!

bigbunny5
08-01-2007, 09:31 PM
(I'm working full time in Dallas until October)
Hey lee I'm just 30 miles up the road in McKinney, maybe be can get together an chat about the CNC Stuff @ the local Star$$$$$$. I'm still working on my irst machine but I'd love to chat with other CNC'rs in the aera :)

Lee in Texas
08-01-2007, 10:17 PM
BigBunny-
I'm a CNC wannabe for now. Enthusiastic, but still a total novice.

I'm actually in Kaufman, 64 miles from McKinney (I used to live in McKinney. I measured the drive once)

bigbunny5
08-01-2007, 11:52 PM
OK I'm in Dallas every weekend so we split and meet 1/2 way with laptops and nerd out creating tool paths and G-Code for the mill I'm building http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40038 this is what I'm working on for learning :) nice thing about router that only cuts 3"x5" is the idea of having a learning tool for hands on low cost-space investment tools

KOS
08-02-2007, 10:41 AM
well it looks like there is around 7 or 8 of us so far. Please send me an email if you are (or maybe) planning to come so i can add you to the list to send off the email information. I have proposed a start time of around 11am, but I do plan to be there all day, I am just waiting to hear back from everyone as to what works best for them as well as some neat stuff to do while we are there..

KOS
08-04-2007, 10:41 AM
ok quick update. looks like there is about 14 people who said they will come next sat. I have had quite a few requests to show the anodizing set up, as well as have my X3 cnc run somehting...however the cnc may or may not be running as I am still learning on that one.

If you are interested in coming please send me a PM or email through the board so I can get you directions to my place, if it is a PM make sure you include your email address.

cnczoner
08-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Where were you guys for the 7 years I was in Austin? :) I was in Steiner Ranch but just moved to S.FL in December, but I do come back to Austin periodically. I'm thinking I might try to make it in October for Maker Faire. BTW, Ken's Tacos, Mars restaurant, and Fry's electronics rule!

KOS
08-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Ok guys just wanted to say that the weekend was a blast. I think everyone had a good time and we did get to go over quite a few things. took a look at my X3 cnc, some anodizing some injection molding etc etc...

I wanted to give an update as well with regards to the group. I was posting back and forth on this forum and the yahoo group to keep everyone updated. However for future meetings (which I may or may not be holding) I wont be posting any updates here. I dont know who will holding the next one or where as of yet. Also since it is not my group either I dont really know what is planned for the future.

So I encourage anyone that is interested to please sign up on the yahoo group to stay connected.

Although if there is anyone interested in getting together with me to visit or whatever please just send me a PM and we can set something up.

However we can still post in this group for outside get togethers as well.

Thanks again
Dan

kngsstng
02-23-2008, 01:13 PM
kos can you help me out with my cnc.im in the austin area

kanzure
03-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Hey,

My name is Bryan, I am down in Buda, TX, basically South Austin. I am interested in any sort of machining I can get my hands on, seeing as how I am new to the trade. I am basically game for anything you can throw my way: CNCs, fluid flow modeling, rockets, genetics, some guitar, etc. etc. I joined the AustinMetalworkingEtc group over at Yahoo to see what's what, I hope to meet up soon.

- Bryan

joecnc2006
03-18-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm in San Antonio

aswfreak12
03-23-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm in Cedar Park currently and wouldnt mind getting in contact with someone with a few bits of book knowledge before I hop of to Florida for college. I've already stopped by KOS's shop I think with with my father, but it could have been someone elses shop, I'm just guessing. It's cool and definantly perked my interest.

But yeah If anyone has some free time later (when I get my lathe) this year/mid summer I'm looking for someone to give me teaching/pointers on saftey and technique, not serious stuff but just some good beginer knowledge.

KOS
03-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah that was my shop.

Did you and your dad decide what you are going to get as far as machines?

Give me a call and I can show you some stuff on the lathe when you need.

Dan

aswfreak12
03-24-2008, 04:39 PM
So far i've been looking at a lathe about the same size of your mini one that you had, but I'd like to avoid having to do the extension work that you did with yours, not really able to trust my own welding. :P

KOS
03-24-2008, 05:32 PM
they have that same lathe in a 7x12 as well as there as ones that are 8x14 if you are looking for some more distance between centers. i think grizzly has the 8x14 lathe that may be a better size for you.

mark1945
03-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Is there any groups closed to the corpus christi area? I am in portland and sure could use some help.

ViperTX
03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
If these guys don't check in PM them....project5k - San Antonio, dneisler - Houston area....those are the only ones that come to mind.

KOS
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I think there is a houston metal workers group, but cant remember the name off hand, I am sure a google search will turn up something. If your in the austin area you can always give me a shout

Steve Langford
03-02-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm in Austin and I have an unfinished cnc table that I just can't find the time to finish, the table is welded completed, I have all the components and instructions to finish it but some creativity is required to make some adaptations to the supplied instructions, I need to finish it asap and I'm looking for someone to finish it. if you think you can do that and need the extra cash, let me know.(or if you know someone that wants to do it) Thanks

Steve
sales@smartsigntools.com

GMslave
04-16-2009, 12:01 AM
I just found this forum, and this North Austin thread. I'm a Tool and Die maker/machinist re-located from Michigan (August 08). I was reading your thread, and thought I'd drop a line in. I'm up in Liberty Hill right now, and I could stand to make some 'normal' contacts in the area.
Then I saw your website !! Here's a few pics of my pig:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/rally_slave/SV%20pics/DSC01095.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/rally_slave/SV%20pics/DSC01098.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/rally_slave/Dragon%20Pics/wheee.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/rally_slave/Dragon%20Pics/wheee3.jpg

I had thought of starting a shop pretty much along the lines of what you got going on there it seems. I got a TON of ideas, but looks like I might already be out-gunned.
AnyHoo, gimme a shout if ya ever wanna talk shop.

Derek

jetenginedoctor
05-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Dragging this one up to make my first post. . . . . .

I'm a non-traditional engineering student (gray hair) who has recently been bitten by the machine tool bug, and more specifically numerical controls. As you might guess from my screen name, my background is primarily in aviation with a short career in power generation. I decided one year ago that I needed to go ahead and finish the engineering degree that I should have had 15 years ago. I only took a 17 year detour. . . . .

Anyway, hoping to find some folks in the Austin area (in South Austin myself) to learn from, colaborate with, etc. Any of you guys still around town?

Thanks,
Brian K.

KOS
05-22-2009, 10:25 PM
yeah we are still here. The yahoo group is the place to really check out, there have been a couple new members so you may have already joined there...i sent you a response as well.

ViperTX
05-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Welcome jetenginedoctor...your first post....cool!

I'm presently in Alexandria, VA but will be moving to Round Rock, TX by 25 Aug 2009.

I've just completed CNCing a Grizzly X3 with CNCFusion Kit and Keling Drivers and Steppers....and now I have to sell it....shipping to TX is expensive.

Paul