PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone converted Joes plans to Metric

ClaudioG
05-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has converted Joes plans to metric for those of us that are not fortunate enought to be able to source 1/2" (12.7mm) & 3/4" (19.05mm) MDF and HDPE.

Our closest standard size of MDF is 12mm and 18mm and I haven't looked into HDPE as yet, but given the small size of parts these can probably be machined to suit.

I've had a look at most of the parts and there appears to be a fair bit of work involved in making the changes to suit the different material thicknesses. My CAD skills are next to zero at the moment, so that adds to the difficulty for me.

If anyone in Australia is willing to help out, then I can return the favour by helping out to cut all the parts for them once I have built my machine.

At some stage I spotted the log for someone in the UK who I think converted to Metric, but scaled the whole table down. I can't seem to find this any more.

Thanks,

Claudio

AndrewN
05-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Hello ClaudioG,

I can not get the file down small enough to post it to the forums, but if you like I can e-mail it to you. It was drawn in standard but I changed the dimensions to metric by giving them a scale factor of 25.4. This should do the trick for you but I would wait for Joe to confirm that this drawing is correct before I used it to make the parts.

Send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I will send you the file.

Andrew

ClaudioG
05-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Hi Andrew

If I understand what you are saying correctly, converting the Inches to mm's is not the problem. It's changing all the rebates, slots, etc from say 1/2" (12.7mm) to 12mm so that our MDF sizes fit.

I assume the only way to do this would be manually in each part drawing, but I'd be very happy to be corrected.

Claudio

AndrewN
05-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Aw I got ya now. Sorry I don't have all that but as soon as I get done with what I am doing I will see if I can't take care of that for you. Unless offcourse some one else beats me to it.

Andrew

ClaudioG
05-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey Andrew

Thanks for the offer. We'll see if anyone else has done the work first.

And then if not, I will at least manually go through each part to identify and document what needs changing.

What I don't have at the moment are eDrawings that have dimensions available which would make the documenting a lot easier so I'll try and get these off Joe if available

Claudio

ClaudioG
05-20-2007, 08:04 AM
At some stage I spotted the log for someone in the UK who I think converted to Metric, but scaled the whole table down. I can't seem to find this any more.

I just found it here;

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33491

I'll try and get in touch with him.

It's a bit confusing when the build logs are scattered in the DIY, Joes and Logs sections, but great that people have taken the time to write up such detailed logs. Makes the job for the rest of us so much easier.

Viperia
05-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Hello!

Im planing to build this machine as a project in school after the summer and i am also trying to find these drawings in metric but can´t find them. Any one that have them or can direct me to where i can find them?

Regards,
Viperia

AndrewN
05-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey Viperia, converting the drawings shouldn't be to much trouble but if there is any info other than board thickness that we should know that would help.

I'm assuming 1/2" MDF would be 12mm thick but what about 3/4"? Seems I read somewhere that it was 18mm but my guess would be that it is 19mm.

I will do what I can but I am not as good as others with AutoCad.

Viperia
05-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey Viperia, converting the drawings shouldn't be to much trouble but if there is any info other than board thickness that we should know that would help.

I'm assuming 1/2" MDF would be 12mm thick but what about 3/4"? Seems I read somewhere that it was 18mm but my guess would be that it is 19mm.

I will do what I can but I am not as good as others with AutoCad.
If you are going to be really exact i get 1/2" using google to recalculate it gives me 12.700mm and 3/4 gives me 19.05mm.
So i think you are assuming right, need to know anything else?

Regards,
Viperia

ClaudioG
05-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi Andrew

Our equivalent sizes of MDF in Australia are 6mm, 12mm, 18mm, 25mm as follows;

1/4" = 6.3mm ~ 6mm
1/2" = 12.7mm ~ 12mm
3/4" = 19.05mm ~ 18mm
1" = 25.4mm ~ 25mm

I am close (I think) to having a local CAD expert help to convert the plans to metric. It's a friend of my brothers that I'm trying to get "hooked" on the idea.

I'll keep you all posted.

Claudio

Jason Marsha
05-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Not to be picky .

1/4 = 6.35mm ~ 6mm

Viperia
05-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I found it quite easy to resize the drawings after a little while, just open the files in autocad and select everything and scale it 25.4 bigger and take some measurements from the eDrawings files to be sure everything is corrected.

Im making some other modifications like taking away the holes and things made to make the machine to weigh less. More weight more stabillity and it will save some time cutting and making the parts. :)

Regards,
Viper

AndrewN
05-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Well you guys let me know if I can help in any way.

cpt_goggles
04-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Hello,

I'm new to the world of CNC and planing to build this machine as a project in school and this forum is a great source of information for me. Now I have decided that I want to build the Joe's CNC Model 2006. Problem is I live in the Netherlands with a metric system. Ordering a kit is out of question.
I'm trying to find the drawings of a model 2006 in metric but can´t find them. Anyone that have or made the drawings with metric standards? Or maybe someone can direct me to where I can find them?

Things to be thought of:

* Our equivalent sizes of MDF in the Netherlands are 6mm, 12mm, 18mm, 25mm as follows;

1/4" ~ 6mm
1/2" ~ 12mm
3/4" ~ 18mm
1" ~ 25mm

* Trapezium/ACME threads with diameter of 12mm, so the bearings will be in metric size and the lead screw supports must be adjusted for these bearings.

* All the diameters of the holes for the screws must be adjusted to the metric system

* Maybe more? Let me know!

Hope someone has already make the adjustments and can help me with a copy of his plans.

Sjef