PDA

View Full Version : Regnar's Build (Now with Video)

Regnar
05-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Well it is finally time to get going with this project. I order plans awhile back and built the machine and just wasnt happy with what I ended up with. To much looseness and seemed like it always binding up. Well I destroyed it and came up with my own plans. I wont say that the plans that I bought were worthless but they did give me ideals of what I wanted to do and really didnt want to do.

So in the end I have stolen just about everything I like from other builds on the site. I might have thrown in a few of my own. I am doing the project with the kiss theme in mind. Everything is duplicated threwout the build.

I wont say the my woodworking skill are the best in the world so as we go along with the build and you see some mistakes well dont worry I just getting this machine to the point of where it can cut itself out.

Goals for the build are as follows
1. cutting area of 36x24 (I think I have this already)
2. cutting speed of 100-120 ipm and I dont really care that much about jogging speed.
3. Having the kiss theme going.
4. Budget is a goal but I have already lost track. I havent spent a whole lot I might be in the $700 range so far. That is including the Xylotex 3 axis kit. I can find some bargain out there.

So here we go:drowning:

Regnar
05-14-2007, 02:46 PM
So today was a productive day. I was able to build the table that everything is going to be attached to. Here a few photos of what is going on. The table 6" H 40" W 48" L. All I can say is that this sucker is heavy. It took almost full a sheet of 1/2 mdf. and half a sheet of 3/4 mdf. I glued everything and nailed it with 1 1/2 nails all around. I left a 1/4 inch hangover on the top and bottom sheets to allow proper aligment of the sides.

Regnar
05-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Here is what else I was able to finish up today. I was able to attach the galvanized pipe to the 80/20. To do this I drill a hole straight down the center of the pipe. I picked the smallest phillips head screw driver I own and used that for a guide of how big the wholes will be. I then drilled just one of the sides larger to fit the screw. The white plastic tubing that is pictured is what I used to put the screws down the center. It worked very well. Once I lined the screw up with the hole I would take the screw driver and press it threw the hole and hold it there while I pulled the tubing off. This method holds it the the 80/20 like a charm. The holes at the top will not get in the way at all. More pictures.

Regnar
05-14-2007, 03:54 PM
And this will be the last addition to the day. It seemed to go smoothly all day long. nothing really jumped out and bit me. The next few photo's are of the slides i guess you would call them. I haven't glued or screwed the together yet. But if you look and the side that has a few pieces of 3/4 plywood stacked all together that is the side that is going to compress down onto the pipes. I will be running 1/4 all thread threw the inside and threw the lower side to bring it up nice and tight. the bottom piece that is not going to move at all so it will hold the outside shape. I will be adding caps to the side to keep the everything square and not flex. I did a little test using some clamps and held it together so i could see how smooth it would roll. Well I got everything in and the 80/20 rolled smoothly. I was so happy went inside to get the camera and bam. The 80/20 rolled itself out of the slide because of the slope in the garage. Dented the end of the pipe up a little but no big deal.

Also here is my little helper. 10 months 95lbs and does a great job of picking up all the dust with his tail and tongue.

Oldmanandhistoy
05-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Nice job so far and I especially like your helper, mine is no good at sweeping dust as she has no tail lol.:)

Will be watching with interest.

John

Regnar
05-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Today was a good day as well. Everything just seems to fit nicely together. I took the 2 sides that cut out last weekend and used them as templates. I rough cut them with in a 1/4 inch and then used a flush trim router to make them fit nicely. Glued them together to form 2 1/4 inch sides. I also attached them to the table.

Next I made up a drilling jig to drill the holes. Into the sides. Drew it up in CADSTD printed to actual size and glued onto some scrap mdf. Drilled it out on the Drill press and bam I have a nice drilling jig that actually worked better than I could have imagined. I would drill out the one side to about half way flip it to the otherside and drill out the rest. I used spade bits so that I wouldnt make the holes any larger.

And I decided to dry fit one side to see the fit and finish. Im starting to get excited now. Sorry for the messy garage. I have no excuse other than I have way to many projects going on right now. Also if you guys see any future problems that I might run into that I havent noticed please comment. Like I said Im getting excited so mistakes are going to happen now because I am going to rush.

Regnar
05-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Here is the drilling jig that I am so proud of.

rustamd
05-19-2007, 06:38 PM
the only problem i see is that your are driving the gantry only from one side... Other than that looks good:-)

Regnar
05-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Rustamd, I will be driving it from both sides. The side that you see with the acme rod in it is the side that I test fitted. I have the same belt that the Soylvia build uses and will try and run it with that first but if that doesnt work out which I kinda have a feeling it wont. I will get another stepper motor and slave the A axis to run it. Having acme rod on both sides makes it easier to square up in the end I believe. This is coming from a few sources. I believe Ger21 even said it in the "alternative to round pipe" thread. Thanks for the post :cheers:

Also if you look the right side is about 4 to 5 inches lower. I have a dinner party to goto tonight so I had to stop. I couldnt convince her that I would only be another 5 minutes.

rustamd
05-19-2007, 07:04 PM
yea, i like the idea of driving on both sides as well, except i'm going with rack and pinion set up on my build...

Regnar
05-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Rack and pinion would be nice, really nice. I just dont know enough about it yet to make informed decisions on what I should get. Price vs Quality, Timing with a stepper motor and how much force is need to drive it. I wanted to get my feet wet and this is going pretty good. Seems like no one ever just builds one.

rustamd
05-19-2007, 07:42 PM
...Seems like no one ever just builds one.

I'll guess i'll be the first one, i wanted to build something small(really small) from mdf first, but that just started full aluminum router that not exactly will be small or easily portable:eek:

frostfrank
05-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Regnar
This looks really good.
Are you going to use the same rail for the Y axis?
Good pictures!

frostfrank
05-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Regnar
What type of lead screw and nuts are you using?
Also what type of lead screw bearings are you using?

Regnar
05-19-2007, 10:21 PM
frostfrank,

I will be doing the exact same thing for the y axis. The only difference will be that it will set about 3 inches higher than the x axis to allow room for the y leadscrew. Right now I am using 1/2 10 tpi. I wanted to see how this was going to go and the three screws put me over my 50 dollar limit for free shipping. So I saved 5 bucks and got 3 acme screws out of it.

I am using these for my leadscrew bearings. http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/servlet/the-68/1-fdsh-2%22-Four-Bolt-Flange/Detail They are nice because you dont have to mess or fuss with making your own. Another plus is that if I ever get hit by a nuclear bomb they will be still standing. These things are hefty.

I am still trying to figure what I am going to do for the lead screw nuts. I havent figured out if I am going to make my own. Buy the Dumpster ones or pick up these on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230108640693. Does anyone know if I just need the anti backlash nuts from dumster or do I need to pair it up with something.

Regnar
05-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Its going now and its going slowly. Seems like I only got 6 bolts installed today but I did do alot of little things. I finally took apart rails and skate bearings to goop them up with locktite. That seemed to take the longest. Also tapping into the end of the 80/20 took alittle while sence this was the first time ever tapping anything.

So anyways I couldnt wait any longer. I need to make/see it move. I must mention that the only thing holding the whole gantry together is 6 4 inch clamps and 2 more clamps holding the gantry to the nut. Only one bearing is actually bolted down the other side is held in place by a pencil. Enjoy the video and pictures. Pictures show details of how I mounted the screw to the nut.

<embed style="width:400px;height:326px;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-626232512841618026&hl=en" id="VideoPlayback" align="middle" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" scale="noScale" salign="TL" FlashVars="playerMode=embedded"></embed>

Regnar
05-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I watched the video and came up with some numbers. To let you guys know the 80/20 is 48 inches long. The gantry is 6 inches wide and I didnt go all the way to the end so I gave it 4 inches on each side.

So when the gantry was moving away from me it took 21 seconds to go 34 inches. 34/21x60=97.14 ipm.

When the gantry was moving towards me the drill was going foward so it was moving faster. It traveled 34 inches in 15 seconds. Doing the math again 34/15x60=136 ipm. No wipping at all either. The only thing that I am worried about is if a stepper motor will spin as fast as my battery drill. There was hardly and torque used on the drill infact I had the setting set for 5 just incase I hit something along the way.

What do you guys thing stepper fast or slower than my battery drill and what do you think I can expect now. Im starting to think that my lead screws might have to be switched out to make up for the speeds that I mentioned in my first post.

tajord
05-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I haven't fully read your thread to tell if you have your kit as yet, but based on my machine, i have the hobbyCNC kit with 200 oz/in motors, i cut at 60ipm max using 3/8" 16 all threaded, which if i'm right calculates at about 960rpm, i can rapid at 80ipm with is about 1280rpm running on 30 volts last i checked (dang, that's faster than i thought, is this really right?) i really want to changed my screws though, sometimes i get some serious whipping issues.

This should give you an idea of what to expect, well with this kit anyways, i had the same questions in mind before i had my kit, hope this helps.

Regnar
05-23-2007, 09:42 PM
I have the 269oz kit from Xylotex. Based on your numbers and if I could keep the rpm in the same range I could cut at 96 ipm. This will be nice. Thanks

This week I have made very little progress. I was able to finish up my x axis with all the bolting and loctite. I found out a very nice feature about my bearings, and that is they sorta self center.

Story behind this is goes like this. I got up Monday all ready to install the flange bearings onto the x axis. I pulled one out of its box and noticed that the bearing was sitting crooked in the flange. Hell I thought no wonder why they were so cheap. So I pulled ever single one looking at them all and they where all crooked. I even pulled the ones off the table that I had already installed just to make sure they where straight and they were. How lucky did I get that I was able to install the only 2 straight ones in the box of 10. So with nothing to loose I threw one of the crooked flange bearings into the vice and put a brass punch down the center. Went to give it a yank and it move freely. It did take some muscle but not a whole lot. So in the end I wasted a whole day on good bearings. So here comes the nice part. I put a crooked on in just for the hell of it. Threw the lead screw in. Hooked it up to my battery drill and took them for a spin. It started off a little rough but smoothed its self out in no time.

So then I took it a step further and hooked up my wired Dewalt drill. I could go Full blast with the drill and get NO whipping at all. I even post a video to prove it. Just need to wait until daytime filming. Garage is dark and the video would suck. I already like this build 1000 percent more than the last one.

Regnar
06-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I was finally able to break away and get some work done on my machine. Last weekend I ended up painting the house and well that is all I did for the whole 3 day weekend. I was able to mount the y axis and started to build my z axis.

Another thing I did was I hooked my x axis motor up and ran it back and forth. I was able to Jog at 100 ipm with little or no stalling. Once I bumped it up to 110ipm the motor would stall. I am doing this with 1 269oz motor so I feel that if I where to add another axis I could get rid of the belt which I think is the cause of the problem and get the speeds up there. It was nice to see it move that fast compared to my last build.

I could have finished this project today if I just spent a little more time planning ahead. I made a few errors like putting bolts in places that would run into bearings and so on. Wrong measurements and just over all trying to figure out how to complete it made the day long.

Well here are some photos. Hopefully Monday I will get the whole day again to work on the project. I think I will be able to complete the major build then and will have to fine tune and attach motor during the week. It would be nice to start cutting parts out by next weekend.

I measured out what I think will be the cutting area and it looks like it will be 40" x 24" x 8"

Regnar
06-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I was finally able to get everything moving besides the z axis. I will try and get to it here in acouple of days. I needed to get out of the Florida heat/humidity. Although I am happy that I was able to get the x and y moving they are not moving as fast as I would like. One problem that I am running into with the x is that it always seems to stall in strange places. It hasnt been a constant thing in the same area. One minute I can have it at 93 ipm the next its stalling. It works consistantly good at 60 ipm. Now my y axis is a dream. It can move at 93 ipm and hasnt stalled once. The only thing slowing this axis down is Mach/ Lead Screw pitch. I cannot set it any faster than 93 ipm. But in the video you will see that it doesnt even wip and 93 ipm.

As far as the x axis goes i really think it has alot to do with the belt drive setup. I should probably go with 2 steppers on this axis but the problem now is that xylotex no longer sells single axis drives and I have a 3 axis drive. He recommended another axis drive that could work but to me that is like sticking husky tools in with my craftsman tools. It just doensnt look right or feel right. I guess I will break down eventually but I would have liked the single axis. Should have just sprung for the 4 axis drive at the time.

Enjoy the video I know it is bringing a smile to my face.

<embed style="width:400px;height:326px;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-3027410621466195827&hl=en" id="VideoPlayback" align="middle" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" scale="noScale" salign="TL" FlashVars="playerMode=embedded"></embed>

Regnar
06-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I am finally cutting wood. I started off the day by cutting at 70 ipm with a 1/4 endmill at .2 depth per a pass. Machine was doing great until the x binded just a little at a depth of .50 and snapped the endmill when the y kicked in. No biggy but it does hurt just to watch $10 dollars go down the drain. So I switched it out for 1/2 endmill and started to cut a little slower. In the video I am cutting at 50 ipm with a 1/2 endmill going .20 deep each pass. I ran out of memory stick before I could finish the part.

<embed style="width:400px;height:326px;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=6942952908275639023&hl=en" id="VideoPlayback" align="middle" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" scale="noScale" salign="TL" FlashVars="playerMode=embedded"></embed>

sorry for the video being so dark, its raining and the garage door is shut.

thkoutsidthebox
09-22-2007, 07:30 AM
That all looks really great. Nice job, a really nice looking build. :)

ozzie34231
09-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Hi,
I'm a metal butcher type guy, lathes, mills, that sort. I happened onto this thread and it looks like a neat project and my compliments on the build.
I don't know much about this type machine maybe you can clue me on a couple holes in my knowledge.
What material are the round rails?
What is the lead nut setup, material?
Do you have an idea of how much backlash you have.
Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Regnar
09-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Round rails are 1inch Galvanized EMT (electrical conduite pipe)
The leadnut is made of Derlin which came off ebay for 9 dollars a nut.
I never really measured the backlash. I just know if I cut a part out it would end up the size that I wanted it to.

ozzie34231
09-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Good luck with the machine. Post some pics when you get to cutting some neat stuff.
Jerry

bubthezombie6
10-18-2007, 11:03 PM
As someone who isn't particularly mechanically inclined, the videos are worth their weight in gold. It's inspiring to see it all coming together and the videos really bring it to life.

With patience, a lot more learning, and a little bit of luck, I hope to get something started next year.

Thanks for taking the extra time to put up video. It's appreciated!