View Full Version : It works!!!!

05-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Just a rank beginner to CNC, I do have some experience servicing computed tomography equipment. So after finding this site a few months back, I decided to build my own desktop cnc router. I saw a picture of a type of machine I thought would be buildable with standard shop tools and readily available materials. I made a fixed gantry design with a 12"X axis 8"Y axis and 2 3/4"Z axis. The main construction material is 1/2" HDPE (high density polyethylene) and all bearings and nuts made from 1" UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). Linear guides are 1/2" stainless rod. The leadscrews are direct coupled 1/4 " 20tpi SS all thread. The X and Y steppers are 280 oz/in 2A 6 wire NEMA 23, while Z is a 120 oz/in 1.2A NEMA 17. The drivers are 3 Linistepper kits with a custom built interface, power is provided by 2 AT style power supplies. Software used so far include, Mach 3 (demo), TurboCNC and EMC2. I did not purchase any plans for this machine, but it is loosely based on an existing design. Total cost for this machine is under $500.00 depending on costs of electronic components. My results have been better than I ever expected. Many thanks to all who contribute here. Their insights and experience made it possible for newbie to achieve success!

05-04-2007, 02:48 AM
Looks pretty good :) we all have to start somewhere :)


05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Bob. I just looked at your ITEM build. Very nice! I hope to make something on that scale in the future. I will watch with great interest!


05-04-2007, 10:31 AM
:banana: Well done KLeeper! :banana: It's a really great feeling the first time that you realise it all actually WORKS!! :D Congratulations.

05-10-2007, 11:41 AM
A quick update to this project.

The DremelĀ® tool that I was using allowed too much movement in laterally. You could move the tip with little effort. I don't think it's a defect. Just too much slop for me. I was able to find a new 1/4" trim router (Chinese mfg.) for $14.99 at Busy BeaverĀ® yesterday.

The Y axis stage was flexing in the Y direction. I am stiffening that stage with additional bracing made from UHMW PE, much more rigid than the HDPE. I would prefer not to resort to metal reinforcement as that was not part of the design requirements that I set for this project.

05-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Nice work!