PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for Info on CNC Foam for mold cutting for car parts ?

Calico
05-02-2007, 05:57 AM
I saw years ago a CNC Mill cutting a foam for creating the molding for car parts.
it's a foam stack together and cut using a CNC.
this is for creating a molding for car parts.

does anyone ever seen this web site ?
I need to know what kind of foam is that and the process creating the mold.

regards
cal

abomination
05-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi,

You can use polyurethane foam for milling. It is possible to buy different densities of the stuff depending on the use.

The stuff i used came in 2 parts that i mixed together. Just remember that a small amount goes a long way (expansion wise) Altenatively, it is possible to buy blocks or sheets in the density you require.

Calico
05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
ah that's the word... polyurethane !

see the problem is, I can;t find it in local store (Indonesia).

I only can find regular foam which is not machinable (cut).
with polyurethane is machinable.

now I'm confuse... is there any replacement ? alternative material ?

have you ever seen someone using this polyurethane with CNC for car part mold ?

cal

abomination
05-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Go to a surf shop. Polyurethane foam is the same stuff they use to make there surfboards out of. Anyone who shapes surfboards should know where to source the foam components.

Garden / nursery shops should also be able to source a shapeable foam that is used to make diy garden sculptures. We have it here in Australia.

As i said earlier, it is possible to buy different densities of the faom. The low density will have a very open structure, where as the high density foam will be very closed and therefore will produce a better finish when milled.

You should have no troubles making the mounds from polyurethane. You will just have to apply a sealer to the foam, like fibreglass resin before applying pressure to the mould to give it more strangth and protect it from damage

Calico
05-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Thank you for the good info,
I'm never hang ten but I love to try to find the person who make the surf board, but I'm in Indonesia, jakarta and I don't think We can or ever build the surf board.

but.... your info is being noted !

regards
cal

gilgamesh
08-18-2007, 07:55 AM
hello, we use manual technics for dummy making I think polyurathane is a very wide name for these products but when you search it as "styraphore" or "styrafoam" with high densities like 25 or higher you can use it.

cncrouteratc
03-28-2014, 11:12 PM
i see, many buyers bought our cnc foam cutting machine for car mould. you can check our website cnc machine| engraving machine | cnc router| woodwoylcing cnc | wood router | ATC CNC | milling machime| cayving machine| (http://cn.rapidtech-cnc.com)