PDA

View Full Version : Another Joe2006-Topeka,KS

biotech1
04-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Hello all I'm waiting to get my kit from Joe. Still have about three weeks left-:rainfro: Need some advise on what else to get if i can before my kit arrives. Things that I already have

1.Xylotex 4 axis 425 oz-in kit -hope this was a good thing.

2. Pricing the Acme threaded rod 1/2-10 2 start-Is This ok or should i get the 1/2-8 2 start??

3. the dumstercnc antibacklash nuts--ITR

4.looking for a place to get estops at a decent price.

5 wanting to build a pendant do i need anything else for that besides my xylotex controller.

6. Anything else I might of forgotten please post and thnx for the help

calgrdnr
05-01-2007, 01:13 AM
If I knew what I know today from reading all the post with this machine I would of went with 1/2-8 2 start, that just seems to be where the next mod everyone makes after they cut for a while. But then again I think David’s the only one to report on it. I have so far only cut air and hooked up a felt pen in
a tube with weight on top ( gravity fed pen ) I am able to get 80 ipm with out any noticeable whip or vibration. But I have yet to cut any thing so all that could change. I picked up a shuttle pro
http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/ if you use Mach 3 they have a plug-in for it. I have only assigned few buttons but I can see where it will come in handy. Just take your time make sure every thing is square ( almost does that by itself) I hope I enjoy cutting with it as much as I did building it :) .

biotech1
05-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Contacted Joe. He said it"ll be about to more weeks. til then i ordered the 1/2-8 2 start so i made the upgrade from the normal 1/2-10

biotech1
05-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Update all parts ordered now all i have to do is wait patiently(nuts) I'm currently working on my controller box and wiring but don't know how to figure the length for my motor wires since i dont have it set up was wanting to build a table for my setup but dont know the length of the joe well i guess i can ask joe well any ways let the countdown begin..

GTGene
05-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Congrats biotech on joining the "Joe's" family. I too have all my parts together
(including the Xylotex kit you have) and according to Joe my kit should ship this
week.... So I am anxiously waiting and prepping my garage for the new baby...
wife isn't very happy about parking outside... but the router has to have a
home....

Good luck with your build!

Gene

dshowalt
05-23-2007, 11:02 PM
How is the project comming? Have you received your parts yet? Good luck.

biotech1
05-24-2007, 12:05 AM
How is the project comming? Have you received your parts yet? Good luck.

Nope not yet should be soon real soon since then I just been playing with my cad programs just trying to learn the system..

biotech1
06-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Have been notified my kit is in the mail. So it should be here by wensday or thursday. :rainfro:

ccsparky
06-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Have been notified my kit is in the mail. So it should be here by wensday or thursday. :rainfro:

Great news! Welcome! Look forward to seeing your build progress!

Bob

biotech1
06-15-2007, 12:20 AM
:) I got my kit today but(chair) :mad: That Damn DHL i Box Was F###ed UP I have THREE BROKEN PIECES but luckily i think i can recover the broken pieces so tommorrow i will start :cheers:

jlinhart
06-15-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm also in Topeka and I'm looking forward to watching your progress. Good luck and sorry to hear about the broken pieces.

Jason

biotech1
06-16-2007, 11:25 AM
I will post pics soon. Question on base torsion box what size does most use for skin 1/2" or 3/4/" i think 1/2" should be ok right..

joecnc2006
06-16-2007, 11:26 AM
you can use 1/2"

Joe

dshowalt
06-17-2007, 12:27 AM
I was thinking about using 3/4" and milling a bit off the thickness to ensure the table was flat with referance to the router mmount. What do you all think?

biotech1
06-17-2007, 04:19 AM
Today was eventful. got alot of stuff done. with the help of my porter cable combo. :rainfro: yeah having that brad nailer makes things faster so here are some quick pics..

ccsparky
06-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Today was eventful. got alot of stuff done. with the help of my porter cable combo. :rainfro: yeah having that brad nailer makes things faster so here are some quick pics..

Looking good!
The PC combo is very nice, it was my first PC tools, I'm very impressed with them!

So we should see you're first cuts, maybe later this evening ;)

Bob

biotech1
06-18-2007, 01:33 PM
After saturdays events got some good hours of build time on Sunday logged in 16 hours. Didnt got to bed til 3:00 a.m. was tired called in to work to tired need some rest going to take it easy today shine up my pipes. This thing is getting addictive and fun so here some pics..:rainfro: yeah was haerst broken when i went to lowes to get my router. Now i have to order online now.. OH yeah before i forget filing the pieces for the bearings Boy I have forarms like popeye NOW....LOL

joecnc2006
06-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I usually use a table saw with mine and just move back and forthe slowely and it removed the material real good and quick.

It is looking good, The mounts for the Anti-blocks for the Dumpster nuts should be a tight fit, they seem to work out great. I do not know the longivity of them, but I really have not heard anyone having to replace them yet.

not sure if anyone has used them over a years time.

Joe

tybrenis
06-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Joe,

Can you elaborate on using the table saw to cut the aluminum? Do you have a jig that hold it at the right angle to cut the slots?

Thanks,

Tyler

joecnc2006
06-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Joe,

Can you elaborate on using the table saw to cut the aluminum? Do you have a jig that hold it at the right angle to cut the slots?

Thanks,

Tyler

Look at post #8, ccsparky gives a good example how he did it, and then Joe shows how his looked after in following posts.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33409&highlight=tablesaw

Joe

biotech1
06-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Had to rest some started to wear myself out. so mI'm back at it after resting for a couple of days here some pics of progress

biotech1
06-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Boy learned some lessons to day make sure you check your work.. Not once not twice but till you're sure, Was wondering wy my bearings were off the rails kept tightning the alignments . But couldn't figure out what was wrong so i took off all of my bearing sides and BOY A DAMN THING WAS ALIGNED.... by the way does any body remember the thread about aligning the bearign slides

.xXACEXx.
06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
hey biotech1..what kinda motor are you gonna use to turn those HUGE spindle gears?? lol :) good lookin machine, hope i can get started one of these days..some one once said better to have done it wrong,than not to have done it at all,,,course,it dont fill the wallet either again good lookin machine..

biotech1
06-26-2007, 10:42 PM
hey biotech1..what kinda motor are you gonna use to turn those HUGE spindle gears?? lol :) good lookin machine, hope i can get started one of these days..some one once said better to have done it wrong,than not to have done it at all,,,course,it dont fill the wallet either again good lookin machine..

I got the xylotex 4 axis 425oz-in kit... hope to get a constant 80+ ipm without any loss steps alot of people went with hobby cnc so its hard to guess whats the best. Guess it's what you wallet allows..:rainfro:

dshowalt
06-27-2007, 06:01 PM
What problems are you having with alignment? With the Gantry the alignment is controled by the adjustment bolts on the side of the Gantry with the bearing adjustment box. Tightening or loosening the bolts on the leading enge of the gantry and doing the opposite to the bolts on the trailing edge will adjust the gantry square to the table (X and Y). Is this what you're trying to do?

biotech1
06-27-2007, 08:01 PM
not all the bearings were touching the pipes. I removed the bearing rails and my drilling wasn't that accurate the the bearings weren't even with tthe corners of the aluminum angle

joecnc2006
06-27-2007, 10:20 PM
One way to check is to place the bearing slide against the edge of the counter and the bearings flat on the top and side and the angle should be just touching the corner of the countertop, I always use a center punch to prevent bit walking. And you can also print the bearing slide files to scale on some card stock and use it as a templete.

Joe

biotech1
06-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Got my bearings realinged---Question was thinking if i'm using 1/2-8 2 start waht are my steps per inch in mach 3 i know it's 1.8 degree which is 200do i take the 200 x8 or 200 x16 but its a 2start lead screw so its half the turns so I'm thinking its 200 x4 yeah been up to long trying to get the steps per inch

joecnc2006
06-28-2007, 09:16 PM
200x4 then x your controllor microsteping 1/4 micro stepping is 4

so 200x4x4= 3200 pulses per inch.

Joe

biotech1
06-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Thnx joe I got it all back together. I have to remember I'm a novice and it takes time.. Got it all put back together before I barely got 80Ipm it would whine after the bearing check got everything raligned ig et up to 180 Ipm thats just on the X-axis also noticed on Lube bought some dry lube from home depot. I doesn't seem to be working all that well my Friend suggested I use a silicon based lube would that be better.. So this Preload I keep reading about correct me if I'm wrong is to take the whip out of the axis screw makes it tight..but to much preload causes friction and the cause to loose steps...:confused:

joecnc2006
06-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Thnx joe I got it all back together. I have to remember I'm a novice and it takes time.. Got it all put back together before I barely got 80Ipm it would whine after the bearing check got everything raligned ig et up to 180 Ipm thats just on the X-axis also noticed on Lube bought some dry lube from home depot. I doesn't seem to be working all that well my Friend suggested I use a silicon based lube would that be better.. So this Preload I keep reading about correct me if I'm wrong is to take the whip out of the axis screw makes it tight..but to much preload causes friction and the cause to loose steps...:confused:

The Preload is a fine tune thing, a balance of both.

Glad the machine is working better now, look forward to seeing more.

Silicon is better i have found than the dry lube, also you can use lithium grease, i got the white in a tube from lowes.

Joe

biotech1
07-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Man I'm glad I'm going back through this thing. Now Advisae Is needed THere's seem to be som misalignment issues with my X-axis. When i go to tighten the x-axsis it pulls up un the lead screw causing it to bend but when i un tighten it its straight bu the bottom bearing rail is not touching could it be i put it togetherupside down..

Should it be where the leadscrew hole to tope of bracket is 8.62 and the leadscrew hole to bottom is 7 and some change... or should it be reversed

man I'll tell you waht I'm fustrated as hell right now so sorry if my typing isn't correct...

joecnc2006
07-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Can you take a picture of what you mean? the measurements you are talking about, a picture will help diagnose the problem.

Joe

biotech1
07-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah it's odd when i tighten the y-axsis it pulls up on the lead screw causing it to bend and cause bindage...

biotech1
07-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Besides that probleme I think I;m doing ok some pics

calgrdnr
07-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Howdy Bio,

I am confused one post you say having problem with X -axis and a few post later you say Y axis.

Well anyways when I put mine together, I had problems with not being able to square up the Z-axis. It turned out to be the Y-axis bearing carriage (couldn’t get bearing to set on pipe), I had a bearing / bolt hole off from the rest of them. I made a template and redrilled.
Everything was much better. The reason I mention this is I experience binding before when the carriage was at fault.
The next problem I had was the Z-axis binding I removed motor and the nuts at the far end closest to table and bearing plate nuts and bolts. This enables me to have screw free at both side but secured on the Z-axis/Router plate. I then align bearing plates both side so Z-axis screw was aligned. Locked them in place with clamp an redrilled the holes (It elongated the originals)

I hope this doesn’t confuse you and is of some help
Kent

biotech1
07-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Howdy Bio,

I am confused one post you say having problem with X -axis and a few post later you say Y axis.

Well anyways when I put mine together, I had problems with not being able to square up the Z-axis. It turned out to be the Y-axis bearing carriage (couldn’t get bearing to set on pipe), I had a bearing / bolt hole off from the rest of them. I made a template and redrilled.
Everything was much better. The reason I mention this is I experience binding before when the carriage was at fault.
The next problem I had was the Z-axis binding I removed motor and the nuts at the far end closest to table and bearing plate nuts and bolts. This enables me to have screw free at both side but secured on the Z-axis/Router plate. I then align bearing plates both side so Z-axis screw was aligned. Locked them in place with clamp an redrilled the holes (It elongated the originals)

I hope this doesn’t confuse you and is of some help
Kent

Where is the template. Might just run back to the hardware store and buy new alum angle. But really don't want to do that, taking the thing apart putting it back togehter is a pain. Your right I had to do that with the X-axis and had to realign all the bearings and elong gate the holes. So I could get the bearings to touch the rod. Just trying to do an axsis at a time. Yeah if you check out the pick when I tighten the y axsis it pulls up on the lead screw could this be because of thr bearing holes not drilled correctly

calgrdnr
07-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't know where template is . There is suppose to be a PDF that you can print out actual size,But I have never been able to find it. I made one out of 1inch by 1/4 steel stock I had laying around. I just drill hole in correct location. I layed it on the angle clamped and drilled flip to other side, align template and drill. just need to adjust template to edge of angle. The critical measurement is from the point of the angle where both sides meet Backside ( yeah a 5th grader more then likely knows the correct name for that)
Good luck

O'yeah I put a hook in the ceiling,put the z-axis carrier to one side. Tie a rope to hook and y-axis pipe. I also put scissor jack under lower pipe. Clamp X-axis pipe to lower part of gantry.See pictures better then me explaining how I did it.

Well again hope this didn't confuse you. :confused: I know I am :)

Hate it when 5th graders are smarter then me ...

http://www.learner.org/channel/courses/learningmath/measurement/session4/part_a/index.html

Kent

dshowalt
07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I think these are correct.

calgrdnr
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
OK guys I have downloaded these before.
I don't think even 5th graders know how to do this ...

I can not get them to print to scale ie if measurements add up to 8 inch I would like to get it to print to that scale. I used acrobat to measure and it says it is 5.18 inch not the posted 8 (nuts) .So pease explainto me how to print to scale ...please

biotech1
07-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't know my adobe has it right print to scal still confused cause it's at an angle just going to try and do by hand again and be extra careful

BUt Confused because when i di the bearing adjustments go to tighten it pulls the y up and cause the lead screw to bow up

joecnc2006
07-02-2007, 11:11 PM
BioTech1,

Looks like your Z-Axis carriage is tilting forward at the top, try adjusting the bolts on the top in pairs, the front two will be lossened and the rear two tightened, this will tilt the Z-Axis Carriage.

Joe

biotech1
07-02-2007, 11:14 PM
sorry i confused every buy yeah thats it the z carriage thats what i mean it makes the z carriage go up and causes the lead screw to bow upwards ia the pic i posted u can see the gap where it bowed when i teghtened then when i loosend it it;s straight but the bottom bearings do not touch

biotech1
07-02-2007, 11:20 PM
OK Joe in your manual you show the a side view of the z carriage when you look at the demsions from top to center hole is 8.62 and from bottom to center hole is 7.etc from that pic if I put it together like that then I an right, right

joecnc2006
07-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Yes that is correct 7.33" from bottom.

biotech1
07-03-2007, 12:11 AM
If my antibacklas nut is note straight could that be the probleme
just throwint stuff out there.

I just removed my z axsis carriage going over the bearings and they are aligned witht e edge of the alum angle there were there suppose to be.

Dude the fact that I'm a electrical mechanical Technician for the post office this project makes me feel like a dumbass for the fact is all i read is another successful joe machine I guess theres always one black sheep in the bunch:violin:

.xXACEXx.
07-03-2007, 12:28 AM
just thought i mention ,you picked a good color there ,i like the grey metal look! :) i know nothing about biulding a machine,but yours looks like its coming along pretty well ...frustration is one thing,beating it to a pulp is another...plese dont go there it looks too good!! :)

calgrdnr
07-03-2007, 02:07 AM
Hey Bio

We all had our problems I am sure. I know I have spent many more hours then I thought it should take. I am also sure I have quite a few hours to go .I have tried to square up Z-axis for hours. It is close but I think it could be better. So my advice is just take it easy, take your time. I took to writing some notes as I did it so I could backtrack. On the z-axis alignment I finally loosened it all up turned the adjusting screws by hand until I got all the bearings touching( this is after I repaired the bearing holder) then adjusted after measuring.It takes very small adjustments i.e.16th to 8th of a turn. it take patiences ... Hopefully Joe will read this and tell you I am all wrong and enlighten us to the easy way :D

Again good luck... Kent

biotech1
07-03-2007, 10:22 PM
yeah I don't know what can be so out of alignment that would cause the z carriage to bow the lead screw when tightning up I'm out of Ideas.

rdhharm
07-04-2007, 06:18 AM
yeah I don't know what can be so out of alignment that would cause the z carriage to bow the lead screw when tightning up I'm out of Ideas.

I had silmar problem with mine what I did was disconnect lead screw from stepper motor and bearing block. Square the router and or Z carriage to the table than adjusted the bearing blocks until they were perfectly centered in the bearing. Just my 2-cents I hope this helps.

Rick

ccsparky
07-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Bio,

If you are satisfied that the carriage rolls back and forth across the y-axis with out raising up, and is not hanging cocked causing the problem, then I would remove the anti backlash nut and install the acme with out it so that the z-carriage rides freely across the gantry.
Move the z-carriage back and forth by hand checking to see that the acme stays centered with the holes on both sides of the z-carriage. If it does then I'd check to make sure your HDPE and anti-backlash nut is centered properly when installed. If acme does not stay centered then it's back to double checking everything to see why the center of the z-carriage holes are not lined up with the centers of the holes in the gantry sides.
Just a thought.

Bob

joecnc2006
07-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Can you take a picture of the bearing slides from the side of the Z-Axis carriage top and bottom?

Joe

biotech1
07-05-2007, 06:23 PM
ok her are the pics could anyone take pics of there z carriage so I can compare and see where I might of went wrong..

joecnc2006
07-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Just eye-balling the placement looks right for the bearing slide.

Did you check the vertical alighment of the Z-Axis carriage?

yours looks very radical in the missalighnment, i think i remember someone having the same problem once and rectified it, I will see if i can find the post.

Joe

biotech1
07-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Well dammit I'm back in it. Figured out my problems and solved my problem. Today I took a trip down to Roeland Park Kansascity went to lowes. Picked up my hitachi router:) :wave: :banana: :cheers: so tonight i try to squre up machine , mount router and maybe get some test cuts in. have to learn alittle more about mach 3.

Question is it required to have the limit switches inplace or can i set it up to were i can run it without the limit switches i wanna try to run the road runner program.....

ccsparky
07-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Well dammit I'm back in it. Figured out my problems and solved my problem. Today I took a trip down to Roeland Park Kansascity went to lowes. Picked up my hitachi router:) :wave: :banana: :cheers: so tonight i try to squre up machine , mount router and maybe get some test cuts in. have to learn alittle more about mach 3.

Question is it required to have the limit switches inplace or can i set it up to were i can run it without the limit switches i wanna try to run the road runner program.....

Great news! What did it end up being?

You can run without the machine limits in place. I have yet to hook mine up.
Just keep and eye on things. Have fun!

Bob

rdhharm
07-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Great news! What did it end up being?

You can run without the machine limits in place. I have yet to hook mine up.
Just keep and eye on things. Have fun!

Bob

I second it what did you find wrong?
So other can learn what not to do or to do.

Rick

biotech1
07-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Spacing I added a extra nut on the bearing rails. Tried washers didn't work to well once I got it to roll smooth. NowIi fight the demons in myself. I guess my biggest problem Is speed I gues I don't know the average spped for a joe machine to run I mean IPM What do you guys reccomend i try to run consistently with is 70 to much for all three axsis.(group)

biotech1
07-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Tonight was a Fun night I. I made my first cut tonight, I was stressing the hole time. But after watching the videos and reading watching the videos I think I got it. but here some belated pics

Oh yeah Just one little probleme can anyone tell me why it turned out backwards....

calgrdnr
07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Biotech

Please tell me you know how to make it go "Backwards".
I can think of a couple patterns I would like to turn insideout :D

Kent

acondit
07-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Tonight was a Fun night I. I made my first cut tonight, I was stressing the hole time. But after watching the videos and reading watching the videos I think I got it. but here some belated pics

Oh yeah Just one little probleme can anyone tell me why it turned out backwards....

Biotech1,

My guess would be that Y-axis is moving the opposite direction from expected. Either swap the polarity of one phase on that stepper or change the polarity for that axis in the control software that you are using.

Alan

joecnc2006
07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
glad you were able to get it going, Looks like you need to reverse the Y-Axis in Mach3, if you press the up arrow the Y should move to the right mof the machine, right arrow moves along x-axis to front of machine, and pg up moves z axis upward.

Nice looking case, you are using the xylotex, what PSU?

Joe

biotech1
07-12-2007, 10:53 PM
glad you were able to get it going, Looks like you need to reverse the Y-Axis in Mach3, if you press the up arrow the Y should move to the right mof the machine, right arrow moves along x-axis to front of machine, and pg up moves z axis upward.

Nice looking case, you are using the xylotex, what PSU?

Joe

Yes I am th power supply is the one that came with the 425oz-in motor 24v 5a i think

biotech1
07-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Whats the best way to check machine squareness. i cutting pretty good still learning mach 3 and vcarve. While i cut the bulls head demo my cuts arent as smooth as i think they could be. just take time to get the bugs worked out . Just wanna say thanks to all the guys for the help Joe you have a great machine looking forward to seeing more of the new one..

biotech1
07-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Hello how's it going this cnc stuff is really fun spent most of my time in the garage just tinkering whatever i csn cut....

I had 2 questions Need my Joe CNC family I was wondering whats the best way to make a dust collection system because i dont have the funds to buy one at this moment I was going to use my shopvac i think i read were some used 5 gallon buckets to catch the bigger chips and the shopvac to catch the finer things...

2nd question could someone or joe since it's your design the dxf files for the holder for the hose..

joecnc2006
07-17-2007, 07:17 PM
I built this one, you can scale it down to your hose and a 5gal bucket.

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=408

i will see if i can get the dxf's unless someone has them handy.

Joe

calgrdnr
07-17-2007, 07:53 PM
All I can find is CRV files. I see you are using VCarve so should work.But check with Joe.Good luck. Please post yur 5 gal. solution I need to make one for my shopvac I use to clean what dust collector doesnt get :)

biotech1
08-17-2007, 02:13 AM
Hello all I Learned a valuable lesson tonight calibration make sure you do it. finally figured out why it kept cutting off my stock it was a whole INCH AND A HALF OFF. Did the clibration with mach 3 and now it's dead on:cheers: so i shouldn't be having any problems now. The steps per unit is throwing me off im trying to calculate it out so I understand 6464 steps per is what mach 3 calculated at I'm running 1/2-8 2 start screws xylotex 425 stepper motors running bipolar series if any one knows what I might be doing wrong let me know please THanks this $__t is AWESOME love this cnc Maching

Owe yeah Check out mechmate that would be the altimate DIY...:rainfro:

Patrick M Carter.....AKA--------BIOTECH1:banana:

acondit
08-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Patrick,

If you are using 1/8 step, then that is about what you would calculate.
1/2 x 8 - 2start is 4tpi. 1/8 step mode is 1600 steps per rev. So 4 tpi * 1600 steps per rev is 6400 steps per inch. So your calibrated value is 1.01 * your computed value. It could be screw error.

Alan

biotech1
08-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Ok thanks Allen so the screw error is that alot ????? wow the money you pay for precision guess nothing perfect. I'm just happy I fiound my error and the machine is close to perfect as I can get it..

acondit
08-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Patrick,

That is 0.010 per inch. It is a little more than I would expect from a precision screw. But if it is a consistent error for the entire length, then it doesn't matter a whole lot. I don't know for sure that it is screw error, I just suggested that as a possibility.

Alan

biotech1
08-28-2007, 11:44 PM
:cheers: Well I dont know what it is but it's fixed. I finally cut my bulldog...LOL

joecnc2006
08-29-2007, 11:38 AM
:cheers: Well I dont know what it is but it's fixed. I finally cut my bulldog...LOL

That looks nice, great job on it.

Also if your screws are slightly off you can map them inside of mach3 for perfection.

Joe