PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Tool Offsets

blowlamp
08-06-2018, 01:51 PM
I set up some tool offsets in the Z & X axes for my lathe and have noticed that the offset is displayed by shifting the relevent toolpath onscreen.
Whilst I understand that what is shown is the actual movement of each axis and is correct, I find this gives a confusing representation of the part being machined. Therefore, what I would like to see is an option for these tool offsets to be hidden from view, so the display more closely resembles the shape of the finished part - like a CAM app does.

Martin.

PlanetCNC
08-08-2018, 06:13 AM
3D display is meant to show movement within machine limits. If offset is ignored then this representation is no longer valid. And only simplest g-codes kind of look like finished part, more complex do not, the resulting display would be useless. It will just look nice with some simple g-codes and that is it.

blowlamp
08-08-2018, 07:38 AM
I couldn't disagree more when you say the idea is useless.

The problem with having only the current option, is that there is no easy way to reassure the operator that the various toolpaths have the expected relationship with each other. I agree It's important to know the axes are within their limits of travel, but seeing the toolpaths represented from the cutting tool's 'real world' position is just as important to the end user. What I would like (assuming it's not a huge undertaking), is both options, not one or the other, please.

By the way, under Menu > View > Show you have Hoover - is this supposed to be Hover instead?

Thanks, Martin.

PlanetCNC
08-08-2018, 07:49 AM
Showing tool tip position instead of machine position does make sense. I'll try to implement this option.
Thanks for tip about Hoover.

blowlamp
08-08-2018, 08:44 AM
I would appreciate that very much!
Thank you for listening.

I'm still very pleased with my PlanetCNC setup - TNG is great software.

Martin.