PDA

View Full Version : 7045mill lube mods and coatings

davo727
04-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Have been working on my mill and have added lube fittings and channels to the slides. Also since I have some capability with industrial coatings i decided to apply a teflon-moly heat cured coating to the way and dovetail surfaces on the z slide and the top and bottom of the saddle slide. On my mill the saddle is 2 peices due to a swivel table feature it has for no apparent reason. While many of you will be horrified im sure with using the coating process on mill parts since 400 degree F is used to cure it, my slides are still nice and flat and straight according to my surface plate. Dave

davo727
04-20-2007, 07:05 PM
The lube fittings are Legris push to connect 1/8 pipe to 5/32 OD tube . fittings grainger # 1PFA2 for a box of 10, bout $25.00. Tubing I got for this is #1PCC7 100ft black nylon 250 psi use, 750psi burst $26.00. I angle drilled up to the dovetail and gib surfaces on all three peices here. After I assemble and fit the gib strips which are also teflon coated I will drill the strips in the right location to allow the oil to flow through them to the dovetail gib contact area. I painted theparts with an industrial hardened enamel from PPG Alk200 paint and ALK 201 hardner. First sanded to baremetal and treated with the rust killer and primed with SEM 39683 self etching primer. Color is GM1 silver. Turned out really nice. Only $41.00 for the gal paint and $14.00 hardner. They have a really nice blue im going to use on the base and column.

davo727
04-20-2007, 07:15 PM
On the way and dovetail surfaces on the base, column and bottom of the table I coated them with an air dry moly dry slide coating. I didnt feel it was a good idea to use the heat cured coating on these large parts. The dry slide coating is from zipchem.com D5460NS . http://www.zipchem.com/products/product_detail.aspx?id=NTY= I found out about this stuff at work, im an airline mechanic and this stuff is used for flap tracks as a secondary lubrication along with the standard grease where the rollers slide throught the tracks. Also used on the dovetails that secure GE fan blades to the fan hub. The dovetails are loose until the engine is up to speed so the coating cuts down on wear. On this mill I wanted to cut down on the metal to metal friction and wear and these coatings will definitely help.

davo727
04-20-2007, 07:38 PM
The ways on the column, base and X,Y slides were ground and very nice and smooth from the factory The Z slide was hand scraped on the flat contact area and real nice. The table ways were machined and although nice and straight were a little rough. So now another chance to horrify some people : Just on the table ways I took a hand sanding block and lightly went a few strokes down the surfaces first with 220, then 320. Only took about five swipes with each grit to knock the sharp machining edges off the top before I did the coating. Dave ( Im waiting for the flogging :)

trcons
04-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Davo,

Looks great. I can't comment on what that may have done good or bad to accuracy, but I like the way you think. It seems to me at least as accurate as lapping, and serves the same purpose. I have the enco version, gonna break it down soon for conversion and I am going to do some of your mods for sure.

Tom

davo727
04-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks, I tried to be careful and just take a few passes with steady pressure so Im not worried. It will be good :) Here are some other mods I did http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35630 also of interest on these mills is this tramming thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30695 I hope to see some other members projects on here soon hopefully, Tell all your RF45-7045 homies to come on down :) Have a good one, Dave Heres a pic before I tore it apart:::::

TPPJR
04-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Hmmmm, looks like a benchtop to me???

Thomas

davo727
04-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey TPPJR, This is your page right? http://imageevent.com/tppjr/rf45dovetailmill Your awesome mill inspired me. We got this forum to get out of the section with all the x1, x3 and micromills. These r45s are usually on a fabricated steel stand. 800lb will crush most peoples workbenches :) Hadnt seen you post in a long time. Hows your mill doin? Any new projects? Dave

kimoyo
05-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Have been working on my mill and have added lube fittings and channels to the slides. Also since I have some capability with industrial coatings i decided to apply a teflon-moly heat cured coating to the way and dovetail surfaces on the z slide and the top and bottom of the saddle slide. On my mill the saddle is 2 peices due to a swivel table feature it has for no apparent reason. While many of you will be horrified im sure with using the coating process on mill parts since 400 degree F is used to cure it, my slides are still nice and flat and straight according to my surface plate. Dave

Hey Davo,

Nice work! With your slides being already ground, how did you make the channels and holes for the fittings? Thanks.

Paul

davo727
05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi, Them being ground instead of machined with a cutting bit was the manufacturing process and doesnt affect these mods. The passages for the lube fittings are just drilled and they intersect. You should be able to tell by my pics on that. The oil passages to the dovetails and gibs are a little trickier cause you have to angle drill to them. After you have the hole in the slide where the 1/8 pipe thread fittings go you can take a small drill bit and angle up to the dovetail, you have to eyeball the angle and try not to miss! After I assembled and fitted the gibbs I took them back out and drilled the gibb strips in the right location to allow the oil to flow through them to the contact area. I made the slots in the ways with a dewalt elec die grinder at low speed with a cuttoff wheel. I think the wheel is about 3/32 thick, you dont want a really thin one. I turned the speed down and used a piece of tape as a guide and then deburred the edges. Dave

kimoyo
05-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks Davo,

I should have been clearer in my question. My main concerns would be hitting the rest of the ways and scratching them up. I guess its because I haven't done it yet but cutting and deburring the slots would worry me a bit. I'm going to do it any but just trying to get the best advice first. Thanks again.