PDA

View Full Version : Lusting after pendant

Swede
03-27-2004, 01:18 PM
A while back there was a thread where a guy was going to use a PC accessory, really cheap, like $10, to simulate a pendant control. I tried using the search to find it, but was unable. Can anyone provide a link?

Also, per the thread title, I'd like to rig up some type of pendant control for my flashcut system. Does anyone have any advise on how to do this? I'd love a joystick, but I don't know if that'll be possible. Basically I need to hack into the PC system to fool the software that certain keys have been pressed.

All advise is appreciated.:rainfro:

densman
03-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Flashcut offers a pendent contoll option on ther website.

Al_The_Man
03-27-2004, 01:59 PM
There is a 6 axis pendant in the download section, I have'nt looked at it, but it sounds like what you were looking for.
Al

vacpress
03-29-2004, 05:19 AM
swede - an easy cheap way to go is this: take the pcb out of a standard keyboard. mine had 28 pins. i put a 28-pin connector on it and made a chart of the keys.. now i can use the hotkeys from a pendant. it cost $3.00 or something. i put a pendant design up - incidently - i think its in the "opensource cnc" files area. its just the face right now, but its easy to see how it works: to make it - print 2 copies.

1.place first copy on your faceplate and tape down - drill out hole patern.
2.take second color print and laminate at least the image side.
3. line the buttons on the laminated print up with the holes in your faceplate stock
4.glue down the face.
5.mount push switches right agianst the back of the membrane switch holes on protoboard or whatever you think best.

vacpress
03-29-2004, 05:22 AM
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/img_commandpost.html

is probably the link you were refering to, btw. i got this product. total cost:18.00

i have been using the thing with solidworks. mapped all the view modes to the push buttons, and rotate commands to the shuttle. decent quality for cost, but could have a few more buttons.. im sure it would work iwht most windows CNC software - but no dos wares.

Mr.Chips
03-29-2004, 08:19 AM
Duhhh??

Whats a pendant?

Swede
03-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Densman: Thanks, I saw the Flashcut pendant, but it's a bit pricey for me right now. I'd like to make one in my shop.

Vacpress, thank you! I'll gut a keyboard and see what I can come up with. I'm a bit confused though on the .JPG. It looks like you need a custom tactile button PCB. In other words, the hardware behind the silkscreen... how do I make/buy something like that?

Mr. Chips, a pendant is just a small "keyboard" to control (in this case) a PC-based controller without having to use a stock keyboard + mouse, very handy for jogging, homing, feed rates, etc. Sometimes they have joysticks for jogging, rheostat dials for feedrate override, other goodies. Even LCD or other displays.

TY all!

vacpress
03-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Its easy to make the pendant. i wish i had mroe time to make a tutorial with photos. i could do one with no photos, just a rough diagram i guess. heres the process simply:

1.print the pattern and laminate it. this will become the membrane part of a "membrane switch array"
cost:time and ink - very low cost.
2. get a bunch of small pushbutton PCB mount switches. order surplus. they are dirt cheap
cost:5.00+10shipping!
3.Print another copy of your membrane layout - this will be a drill template to make the faceplate holes.
4.tape the new printout to exactly where the switches need to be on the faceplate. drill hole big enough for the pushswitches to be hit through. drill several extra small holes to mount the perfboard circuitry to the face. Another option is to moun the perfboard on standoffs from the bottom of the project box.
5.place all the switches and wire them to the PCB from a PS/2 Keyboard or KB emualtor.
6.Any questions?

Swede
03-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks vacpress, that explains it. I thought the idea was to convert a regular AT keyboard to use the membrane. I'll explore some options. One nice way would be via USB to software "Map" the pushbuttons. This would allow you to change the button programming as desired.

I like the layout, very nice, thanks for posting it.

vacpress
04-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Checkout the link i pasted before in this thread. that thing can be taken apart and used as a 15 button, 36 total controls box for 18.00 delivered. i decided to use it for solidworks though. put all the views and shading modes on it.

Swede
04-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Vacpress, I bought 2 at that price. If not a pendant, there's got to be some good use I can make of it.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.