PDA

View Full Version : Bobs Aussie ITEM Router Table Build

crocky
04-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi Folks,

I had a fairly serious stroke about five years ago and everything to do with the right hand side has stopped working so I am going to be building a CNC Router table with just the Left Hand. I'll probably use my wife or my son-in-law if it gets to be heavy going, it seems to be very easy so I am going to give it a go. I was pretty heavily into the computer industry and good with most software, so the PC should present no real problems for me. I have been lurking around here for a while and getting all sorts of good information from lots of people in numerous threads. This will be fun, and if I can do it......hey..... anyone can :)

This is the second log I have started, the first one was going to be a Joe's 2006 MDF type machine and all I needed to get was someone who could make a kit for me. I had even got the bearings for it. The kit was way too expensive to get from the States and then there was the minor differences in the MDF sheet sizes over here compared with over there etc and in the end I decided to go another way.

While I was looking through the Linear Bearings website in Melbourne I noticed that they sold extrusions made by ITEM and they had a manager who was just in charge of that line. After an email to confirm that they could make me a kit and the drillings for the universal jointing kits and a couple of phone calls to Enzo I had a purpose designed kit of parts for my CNC table arranged. This one will be approximately 900mm x 700mm x 200mm, I'll tell you what cutting area I have when it all comes together and I can use it.

These are the parts I have got together for the CNC:

Ozito Router AU$43.00 - Bunnings - the cheapest thing!
Xylotex kit for 3 axis, set for 220V with box including full wiring to the steppers and including freight. US$556.00
Bearing rails 6 x BR15R-N and bearing blocks 12 x BRS15B-N-Z0. AU$1292.39 - Linear Bearings
3 x ballscrews with pre-loaded nuts and end machining including freight. US$506.92 - Homeshopcnc.com
ITEM for the CNC frame including 32 universal fastening kits. AU$856.88 - Linear Bearings
T-Handled Allen Key Set with ball end. AU$10.50 - Bunnings
8mm x 125 1 taper tap and 1 bottoming tap to do the ITEM gantry ends. AU$24.60 - Brentools
Threadcutting lubricant. $Free
52 x T-Slot Nuts 8 ST M4 to hold the linear rails on. AU$123.20 - Linear Bearings
3 x Packs of 4mm round head screws and nuts 25ea. AU$10.50 - Mitre 10
* 1 Copy of Mach 3 US$156.00 - Artofcnc.com
* Ebay - Dell GX270 P4, 2.8Mhz, 512Mb, 40Gb, CD/DVD, 15" LCD. Dedicated to CNC. AU$410.00

Total Cost so far $????

Some of the ITEM frame to look at so far:

Dingo745
04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
G'day Bob,
I'm a fellow aussie located in rural Tassie. I too are about to embark on an cnc router build. I'm a total newbie to cnc so it will be big learning curve I'm sure. My design will be be 900x900, that is dictated by the linear rails and bearings I scored off Ebay today. Unfortunately my budget is more shoestring so my table will be a combination steel/ally concoction, and all home built. Having a small lathe, mill drill, and tig welder will help though. My biggest dilema now is what electronics and motors to use ?? I noticed you have got a Xylotex package for your system, my question is what made you choose that particular package ? Was it price only, or was there other factors involved. Also, what motors are you using ?
Because of my electrical ignorance I'm looking for a real "Plug n Play" system and had been looking at a package from http://www.lowcostcncretrofits.com/Australia.html it is a LOT more $ than the Xylotex system but has local (Qld.) support.
Naturally if I can save a buck I will, but on the same hand I believe in doing it right once. So your feedback will be appreciated.
Regards,
Deane

acondit
04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Bob,

I am glad to see that you were able to find a solution that is going to work for you. It is looking good so far. Can you give some more details on how the joint tighteners work?

Thanks,
Alan

crocky
04-16-2007, 06:37 PM
G'day Bob,
My biggest dilema now is what electronics and motors to use ?? I noticed you have got a Xylotex package for your system, my question is what made you choose that particular package ? Was it price only, or was there other factors involved. Also, what motors are you using ?

Naturally if I can save a buck I will, but on the same hand I believe in doing it right once. So your feedback will be appreciated.
Regards,
Deane

Hi Deane,

The reason to go for the Xylotex was dictated by a couple of things, can't solder now that I have had a stroke and it had to be really plug and play for that reason. The transformer/power supply was configured as well and it came in a nice box. The motors I got were 269oz but I think that there is a special on now where you get 420oz for the same price :) It would be an even better deal now. The time from order to delivery was about a week and a half and that is pretty good. Hope that helps :)

I will take some more pics later and include the Xylotex as well.

Bob

crocky
04-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Bob,

I am glad to see that you were able to find a solution that is going to work for you. It is looking good so far. Can you give some more details on how the joint tighteners work?

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan,

Took me a little while :)

The joint tighteners are pretty good things, don't take too much working out either. They use an 8mm bolt with a hex head for an allen key and the inside end screws into a special nut. Some of my closeups are a bit blurry but you will get the idea :)

I have included the adjustable feet too :)

Bob

crocky
04-17-2007, 02:55 AM
Well we had better get busy constructing it now.

The frame consists of 40x80 on the outside, 40x80 spreader bars and 40x40 legs. There will be some more 40x40 placed on to it before it is finished.

The frame was built upside down on a piece of mdf to keep it mostly square and flat. The ends and the sides were placed up to a leg and a universal mounting kit was fastened at each intersection with a ball nosed allen wrench. After the sides, ends and spreader bars were done it was time to turn the frame upright and to put the upper fastening kits into place and to tighten them up.

That was the frame done :) Next job was to tap the legs with an 8mm tap to take a set of adjustable feet, a little bit hard but not impossible with just one arm.

Time to order some t-slot nuts and put the x-axis bearing rails on to the frame. That caused a slight problem, there was no room to put the nuts in the frame because of the way I had fitted the legs. Nice and neat, but... Take the front two legs off and then you can insert the nuts and rails then put the legs back on to the frame. Hmmmmmm!

Well that all worked fine so it was time to place the x-axis bearing blocks on to the frame, got to be a bit careful because the bearings could run out if they are not held in place. They have a retainer in place when you unpack them, each one was put on the rails and the retainer was simply pushed out as the bearing was fitted.

The side(s) of the gantry is going to be made by a friend who has some 10mm alloy and a milling machine and should be about 200mm long by 435mm high, I'm waiting for that now..

Bob

thkoutsidthebox
04-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Looks like your going to have a nice solid machine there when you finish. Keep up the good work. :)

crocky
04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Looks like your going to have a nice solid machine there when you finish. Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks, thats what I am hoping for :banana:

Bob

crocky
04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Parts of the Xylotex kit for Deane,

The outside of the box fairly plain but I had to take the lid off and see what was rattling inside! It was the three heatsinks that had been somehow spat off the chips that are on the driver board. I suspect that the double sided tape had not been fixed properly, it looks like it only goes on in one position because of a couple of resistors sit fairly high near the chips. I had not put power on the board yet so that was good. A bit of repositioning and some application of a fair amount of force put them back in the correct place. Thanks Deane for making me take some pics :) I would suggest that anyone that has this setup checks the heatsink positions just to be sure they are still fitted where they should be.

The power supply was good and you can see the two fans, one of which is located directly above the heatsinks when the lid is closed.

The rest of the kit just consists of the stepper motors and the printer cable.

Bob

Dingo745
04-17-2007, 09:37 PM
G'day Bob,
Thanks for the pics, makes it easier to see what you actually get for your money. What was the landed cost here in Aus $.
It's the little things that make ask questions, like your unit arriving with heatsinks flying around inside hmmmm. My other observation is the "plain Jane" appearance of the case. I was just looking at the CandCNC package that was suggested to me, and they appear to have a nicer case that has some XYZ LED's and mapped buttons for Start, Hold, Stop, plus the port for a pendant remote. These actually have Xylotex boards inside, just packaged in a different way.
Anyway at least your a long way ahead of me in your build, looks really flash so far, and I love that ITEM gear, only wish my budget stretched that far but unfortunately Johnny Howard doesn't pay us pensioners S.F.A.

Regards,
Deane.

crocky
04-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Hi Deane,

I think it was about Aus$700.00 give or take a few. Plain jane it is and there is certainly no thrills with it but that is what I paid for. The candcnc box will have more than just Xylotex boards. I have no limit switches either or an e-stop switch, I will work that out a little further down the track and much more reading :)

Registered mach 3 yesterday too, another learning curve :)

Bob

Dingo745
04-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Well I just sent an email to CandCNC asking for a quote on what I need. I find their website too confusing, must be getting old.
Thanks, you reminded me I didn't ask about limit switches and E-Stop, bugger ! another email.
I am starting to sway towards an Xylotex or CandCNC package now.
The system from Logitrol was about Aus $1600 + freight. So there is a BIG saving to be had, money that could go towards better leadscrews, etc etc.
I'm Excited !! as big kev used to say.

crocky
04-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Hi Deane,

Well I just sent an email to CandCNC asking for a quote on what I need. I find their website too confusing, must be getting old.
Thanks, you reminded me I didn't ask about limit switches and E-Stop, bugger ! another email.
The system from Logitrol was about Aus $1600 + freight. So there is a BIG saving to be had, money that could go towards better leadscrews, etc etc.

Be interested on knowing how you have gotten on with the CandCNC thingo :) you are thinking like I was :) as far as cost and what you can buy with the money you will save.

I got a dedicated PC and LCD monitor for the CNC machine last night on ebay, Dell P4, 40meg HDD, 512k ram, cd/dvd 2.8mhz with licenced Windows XP sp2, keyboard, optical mouse and 15" monitor for about $400 dollars. This will make the CNC better and it should be reliable too :) pick it up tonight.

Bob

Dingo745
04-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Yes I did get a reply from CandCNC and his price for what I asked for was
RouterPak 1 = $1846 + 220 50Hz mod = $1871.00
MPG101B pendant if purchased with Routerpak = $149.00

Total for electronics is 2020.00
Shipping = ?
So that was a shock !!
Bob's Xylotex setup was around $700 (not sure if that included shipping).

CandCNC RouterPak 1 has bigger steppers and Gecko drives I think, plus bigger power supply than their Basic 3Axis 269oz. stepper pack.

Now I'm more confused than before. I am only planning a 900mm. x 900mm. router based on the linear rails I have coming. So I doubt if I will need the extra grunt and the $1000+ extra price tag.
What do reckon ?

crocky
04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi Deane,

I would tend to agree with you on the price :(

If you are only going for 900mm square the Xylotex would surely be able to do the job. The only trouble with building these things is the source of parts and most of the good ones are from overseas. The AU$700 was including freight.

I got my new pc up and running, NICE!

So far I have got the CNC stuff on it and it is performing really well :) now I just have to learn to use the software......

Bob

crocky
04-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Just got the mach 3 fired up and properly configured with the Xylotex box then I made a sign that shows the house number (really scientific) and it ALL worked :) the steppers were going crazy so it appears that all is working and now configured with right signals on the right pins.

Now I had better get back to the real world :wee: and do some more building.

Bob

Dingo745
04-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Well done Bob.
So does that mean you have the table finished and running ? or did you only do the simulation with the steppers connected.
How about some more pics.
Also did the Xylotex live up to your expectations in regards to it being Plug N Play or was there more involved ?
You are right about the lack of local suppliers for parts, especially if you live in the bush like myself. I have been astounded by the rates for shipping from the USA, companies like FedX are making a real killing, which all adds up on the final cost of a build.
Regarding the Xylotex versus Logitrol dilema, well if wanted to get more from my router in the future then I would be advised to go for the more powerful system of either Xylotex or Logitrol. Actually the Logitrol system would win the day because it has similar if not better drives, power supply etc. With freight and import duties (over the $1000 import limit) that would make the Xylotex system about $500 dearer.
As Tom from CandCNC said if I only want to "play" with the router then definitely go for the "Budget System" he offers, which Is what I would buy if I go down the more hobby route.
Tom was really good and spent a long time explaining the Speed verus Torque equation, and how it affects I.P.M. speed, power supply needs, and the limitations of different Drives.

crocky
04-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Well done Bob.
So does that mean you have the table finished and running ? or did you only do the simulation with the steppers connected.
How about some more pics.
Also did the Xylotex live up to your expectations in regards to it being Plug N Play or was there more involved ?
You are right about the lack of local suppliers for parts, especially if you live in the bush like myself. I have been astounded by the rates for shipping from the USA, companies like FedX are making a real killing, which all adds up on the final cost of a build.

No, not finished by a long way yet. I have still got some bits to buy yet and I am waiting on a friend to machine some alloy plate for me :) I'll try and take some more pics today, I have the y-axis parts less the alloy plates all done now so I will photograph them.

Yep, the Xylotex is really plug and play and once the pin signals were alinged with the correct pins in the software she was away :) and I was SUPER happy. The house number was drawn in a cad/cam package then sent to mach 3 to machine it on a make believe piece of timber. The only thing I would say to anyone who buys the Xylotex kit is to just pull the lid of before you apply power and check the heatsinks :) apart from that it's a good buy.

Sounds like you are going to go with the?? It is a big decision but for 900mm square I would have thought the Xylotex would have been good enough. But everyone has different ideas and I am certainly no expert either :)

Bob

Dingo745
04-20-2007, 10:35 PM
G'day Bob,
Your right in assuming that I haven't decided on a system as yet. I think one of problems is that I'm suffering from information overload, and ignoring the K.I.S.S. principal (keep it simple stupid).
Not having any previous CNC experience doesn't help as I have nothing to base my judgements on, I am relying on other peoples opinions of what to use etc.
Unfortunately when you decide to go to a size just above a certain point you then fall midway between a small router and a large router, not really one or the other. Accordingly your requirements then fall into that "halfway" category. That's where it gets hard, because no one I have found yet makes a package that fits that category.
Of course you could put together a system with exactly the right components for you, but doing it that way would probably be more expensive than going for a full blown large router package.

At the end of the day it's all about money !

Once all my parts arrive I can then start to do some work. I have purposely resisted the urge to start construction so I don't end up having to do things twice when I stuff something up.

Rodm1954
04-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Hi Bob
Just discovered your thread. Good to see you making progress and that is going to be one fine looking machine. I like you choice of materials.
As we have discussed freight from me to you makes it expensive to help out so all I can offer is moral support or cheeky remarks if you get too cocky. :)

Dingo745
I am in Perth and have the same problems as you having to source everything from overseas. You get used to the freight and it is still cheaper than buying in Australia.

It is usual to go through the indecisions of which way to go with a build. I have build four CNC machines for myself and have had a hand in five others and I still never know at the start what the end will be.

If it is any help Xylotex boards are on three of my machines and the other one was made by a local engineer and uses the same chips as the Xylotex board. I am running 269oz motors on my three gantry routers and 497oz motors on my little mill. I can't fault the boards and have run jobs with more than 250,000 lines of code that take almost 4 hours to run.

Two of my machines are steel base and aluminum gantry construction so it sounds similar to what you have in mind.

I am just sharing my experience and not suggesting you should get Xylotex. My choice for Xylotex was based on the ability of the board to drive the motors and price.

Dingo745
04-21-2007, 08:04 AM
G'day Rod,
Thanks for the advice. Now from your perspective you say that Xylotex or CandCNC are a good thing. Have you heard anything good or bad about Logitrol (sold in Qld.)
That was the one I was going for before I heard about Xylotex. The Logitrol system I was contemplating is a 7amp - 3 Axis Stepper Motion controller with 2 internal opto relays(Gecko 201 drives)
High torque 55vdc / 700W Tolroid Power Supply
3 / NEMA 270oz.in / 1.8deg. Stepper Motors including pre-wired leads. Would you say for my needs this is overkill ?
I really have to make a decision on this.
Regards,
Deane.

Dingo745
04-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Rod,
I forgot to ask you how do the Xylotex and 269 0z. steppers handle heavy work like aluminium, which is probably what I will be doing most of, probably with 1/8 and 1/4" end mills etc.
From what I've read this is when your router will really show up any inadequacies.
I should mention also I have some 12mmx3mm pitch acme leadscrews with Delrin nuts coming, that's all my budget can handle. How will these fit into the equation ?
Deane

Rodm1954
04-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi Dingo745,
I have not heard of the Logitrol system but I do know the Gecko drives are very good. Quite simple really if it mainly about price then Xylotex and they will do a good job, if it is all about quality then one of the more expensive systems.

I do heaps of aluminum on my gantry routers and the problem is not the machine but the quality of the aluminum - we get a lot of recycled stuff over here so it is fickle. You slow down the machine for aluminum so load is not a problem. The issue is getting a good finish and this is more to do with your spindle speed, feed rate, and coolant or lack off. When you are ready to go with ally I will gladly share with you what I have learnt.

My first machine I had acme thread and delrin nuts and they work fine. I later replaced the acme to Homeshopcnc ballscrews. I suppose it does show you your first build is not set in conrete and you can swap out components as you can afford it.

If you have any more questions perhaps if you PM me it might be better than taking up Bob's thread.

Dingo745
04-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks Rob,
I will PM you in future o.k. I'm really starting to lean to the Xylotex's now, plus the $1K I save I can put to other uses. Yes ally is main target. My neighbour works in a local shipyard that builts ocean going ally catamaran ferries (Incat), so my supply of top quality ally is pretty good.
P.S. Sorry for hogging your thread Bob. I didn't think, not really used to forum etiquette yet.

crocky
04-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi Rod,

Glad you found me ok :)

I am trying to build it like you and greolt and heaps of others told me how to do it. I have done a pile of reading too. I have got the item worked out, I have difficulty with measurments since I had the stroke and that has been a bit of a test for me (I get there, just takes a while). Leaving the right clearance for the linear bearings and the rails was fun but I have got it correct. Just got to wait for mate who is machining the sides of the ganty up for me :)

Keep in touch, there is more happening :) and I don't mind you talking to Deane here he is just starting out and any info is really helpful.

I changed my username too, this one is little better :)

Still got to get bearing plates and the motor mounts worked out yet, all waiting until the gantry is finished.

Bob

Rodm1954
04-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi Bob,

Beware of the man with many names. :)

Not sure if this will work for you but make a hook ruler so you can hold it against an end. The hook is the same as the end of a retracting tape measure. Also use jigs where possible. These can be as simple as cutting a strip of MDF to a given dimension from an edge. Clamp the strip in place and then lay your rail or what ever on the top edge of the MDF. If clamping is a problem then sit the component and jig vertical on a bench and gravity is your friend. You SIL might be able to cut these for you. I use an old verneer to mark out measurments under 100mm. Just set the measuremnt and then scratch a mark on the job. If you want to get fancy sheetmetal workers use a slip gauge but the verneer will do the same job.

Deane is good and we are chatting offline. He is keen and was still going at 3:00am. :eek:

Keep up the great work.

crocky
04-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks Rod,

All ideas welcomed :)

I have made some y-axis progress....

The crossbars for the y-axis are 80mm x 40mm x 700mm and they have been tapped with an 8mm tap to take the 8mm bolts that will be used to fix it to the gantry uprights, the bars required four holes to be tapped in each. The bearing rails then had the screws and the t-nuts fitted and were then installed on the crossbars. The upper bearing rail was intalled on the upper side and the lower rail was fitted on the lower side. The bearing blocks were then fitted (being careful not to let the balls out). These are waiting on my friend with another piece of aluminium now :)

The gantry cross brace is 120mm x 40mm x 700mm and it is heavyier in wall thickness than the standard ITEM. This brace will go between the lower edges of the gantry and be positioned in the centre of them. This was tapped with the same 8mm tap in six places. The overall dimensions of the gantry sides are 200mm wide x 450mm high. This gantry brace also allows the gantry to be positioned to the frame ends on the x-axis (40mm at each end). I will try and upload my simple sketch-up file for it when I get it finished.

No mean job with tap either :)

Bob

Dingo745
04-24-2007, 04:13 AM
Well my Linear Rails arrived today and I have finally started my build.
I'm planning on a 900mm. x 900mm. router, which should give me about a 650mm. X 750mm. work area approximately.
I'm not working from a plan, just what comes out of my head. I have though been studying the forum and taking note of what others have done.
I'll be using steel RHS for the base, and aluminium for the gantry.
For the start I will be using metric acme leadscrews with Delrin AB nuts.
After some advice from Rod, I finally decided on a controller, so I have a Xylotex 4 Axis controller and 425 oz. steppers on order. I plan to eventually adapt the 4th. axis to the 6" rotary table that I have, so theoretically I will be able to machine and engrave cylindrical objects.
I will post some pics when I get something of worth to show.

So Bob how is your machine progressing ? You haven't posted for a day or so. So I can only assume your flat out on your build ?

Regards,
Deane.

crocky
04-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi Deane,

Good to see things are happening there for you now. The RHS for the base is a good thing and I would probably have done something similar had I been able bodied :) but not to worry. I went to homeshopcnc and got the ballscrews and pre-loaded nuts because I did not want to change them out a little further down the track. Rod is one of the best guys to talk to as you have found out now :) I have done the same regarding a plan, it's all in the head but I am doing a sketchup plan just so it is complete and it might give someone else a hand when they are building.

The CNC Machine has stopped for now, I have to wait for my friend to make the gantry sides for me and I really don't want to put any pressure on him so I will wait patiently.

I spent yesterday doing some modifications to a website and adding the CNC Router to it, not finished yet but it will form the permanent record when I get it done: http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cnc.html (http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc.html) and there is a heap more to do there yet so it will keep me busy for a while.

Bob

bp092
04-30-2007, 10:45 PM
your machine is really slick, love the 80/20 designs, so nice to be able to see a clean machine with 0 welding.. it makes an all alum or metal design possible in general for the non-metal fabricators out there

:) woodworker

epineh
05-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Hey Bob, just picked up this thread, nice work so far, seems like an all too familiar problem getting decent drivers at a reasonable cost, I have been trying to make my own stepper and servo drives, but life seems to get in the way, I will get there one day. Keep up the good work :)

My neighbour works in a local shipyard that builts ocean going ally catamaran ferries (Incat),

Lol small world, I used to make switchboards for the same ships with my last employer, mainly the generator sequencing panels and wheelhouse panels. We made them in Cairns, then sent them all the way to Tassie to be installed.

Cheers.

Russell.

crocky
05-01-2007, 03:02 AM
It does that for sure, it looks very nice in the study at present :) I may not want to put it in the shed when I am finished I may just look at it :)

I knew what I wanted and doing it this way means I still have control of it and I have used good parts so it should be reasonably good. Waiting for the gantry sides now :)

Bob

crocky
05-01-2007, 03:11 AM
Hey Bob, just picked up this thread, nice work so far, seems like an all too familiar problem getting decent drivers at a reasonable cost, I have been trying to make my own stepper and servo drives, but life seems to get in the way, I will get there one day. Keep up the good work :)
Russell.

Hi Russell,

I'd love to be able to do that now :)

Much easier to buy a kit :cheers: for me anyway! This CNC stuff is sure addictive :)

Bob

crocky
06-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Just to let you know I am still working on it, just waiting for the gantry to be made.

Might be better off getting someone else to machine it, it is two pieces of alloy plate 10mm thick that measures 500mm by 200mm with various holes drilled in it for the gantry pieces and the front corners cut at an angle. There is a few others that are required for the Z axis too.

http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cnc.html (http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc.html) that is the real url for the construction so far, the bbs did not update it correctly when I made the change to it. Let me know if you can help with the alloy pieces and some routing and I will give you a drawing of them. Someone in Melbourne, Aust would be really good.:D

Bob

epineh
06-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Hey Bob, the link you posted wasn't working for me, I took the cnc bit off the end and got there though, here is the link that worked for me...:

http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cnc.html

I can't see the difference, but then again I haven't been getting much sleep lately :D

Nice work so far, look forward to seeing the finished product !!!

Russell.

epineh
06-13-2007, 08:27 AM
If you are really stuck with the gantry give me a yell (or PM :)) I am on the other side of the country but have a friend (chich2 here on the zone) who is retrofitting his Hafco HM-52, and I'm sure he would lend a hand, I just have to find a bit of stock...and I better check with him before I dob him in totally :D

Russell.

Dingo745
06-13-2007, 09:30 AM
G'day Bob,
Sorry to see your project has stalled while waiting for your gantry sides to be machined.
I have nearly finished my machine and made my first test cuts today.
Getting back to your problem. Your gantry sides are nearly the same size as my gantry. Now I only have a crappy old drill mill (glorified drill press) and was unable to mill most of my sides because my mill drill is just not big enough, but I was able to drill all the holes needed. I started out with two reasonably square pieces 250mm.X450mm. I bolted these together in an area I knew was going to be waste. I then marked out all my holes and centre punched them, and then drilled the holes. Result, two sides with identical holes.
The angle cut was down with nothing more than an circular saw. Fine tooth blade and plenty of metho for cutting lube. Job done.
Maybe I'm over simplifying the process, but you don't necessarily need a full machine shop to get the job done.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Deane.

Greolt
06-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Bob can you give us some idea of what you require.

Sketches would do at this stage. Don't need exact details.

Just to give me an idea of whether I can help you out.

Greg

crocky
06-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Hey Bob, the link you posted wasn't working for me, I took the cnc bit off the end and got there though, here is the link that worked for me...:

http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cnc.html

I can't see the difference, but then again I haven't been getting much sleep lately :D

Nice work so far, look forward to seeing the finished product !!!

Russell.

That was the trouble, it looked right in the view from the BBS but if you clicked on it the middle /cnc/ is missing. Anyway, it's all good that ends well :rolleyes:

Bob

crocky
06-14-2007, 07:18 PM
If you are really stuck with the gantry give me a yell (or PM :)) I am on the other side of the country but have a friend (chich2 here on the zone) who is retrofitting his Hafco HM-52, and I'm sure he would lend a hand, I just have to find a bit of stock...and I better check with him before I dob him in totally :D

Russell.

It is alright, I will go to a machine shop if I have to but it would be nice to get someone from the zone to help if it is possible. I will pay for the stock that is required and for some of his time also if required. Greolt has asked me for the drawings so I will send him them and see if he can help :) and he is reasonably local to me and I could drive down to have a look at his machine too.

Bob

crocky
06-14-2007, 07:31 PM
G'day Bob,
Sorry to see your project has stalled while waiting for your gantry sides to be machined.
I have nearly finished my machine and made my first test cuts today.
Getting back to your problem. Your gantry sides are nearly the same size as my gantry. Now I only have a crappy old drill mill (glorified drill press) and was unable to mill most of my sides because my mill drill is just not big enough, but I was able to drill all the holes needed. I started out with two reasonably square pieces 250mm.X450mm. I bolted these together in an area I knew was going to be waste. I then marked out all my holes and centre punched them, and then drilled the holes. Result, two sides with identical holes.
The angle cut was down with nothing more than an circular saw. Fine tooth blade and plenty of metho for cutting lube. Job done.
Maybe I'm over simplifying the process, but you don't necessarily need a full machine shop to get the job done.
Hope this helps.

Hi Deane,

Stalled was just waiting for a friend to supply the alloy sheet and cut it down and drill some holes for me but it has been two months so far!

That sounds just like I need and you did the correct thing bolting them together for the hole drilling, spot on :)

I have all the ideas in the brain but putting them to practice is a problem sometimes. The only reason I need some one to make them for me is I only have one hand and it is difficult for me at times but I am determined to see it finished one way or another. :)

Thanks for you help.
Bob

crocky
06-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Bob can you give us some idea of what you require.

Sketches would do at this stage. Don't need exact details.

Just to give me an idea of whether I can help you out.

Hi Greg,

My cad skills are a bit rough but you should get an idea from them.

I will probably have to edit this message because it has been two months since I have had a look at the drawings :(

See if you think that you can help, I hope you can read the cad files. I have put the gantry and the y-axis so far and when they are made then I will work on the z axis. :)

Bob

Greolt
06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
G'day Bob

Got the two drawings. They don't say what the material is or how thick.

Can you get the material?

Maybe you could bring it down here and we could do it on the day.

Send me an email. Have you still got my address?

Greg

crocky
06-25-2007, 03:28 AM
G'day Bob

Got the two drawings. They don't say what the material is or how thick. (chair) Typical :)

Had a visit last weekend. A BIG thank you goes to Greg who sourced some 12mm alloy plate and did a lot of machining and now I have two really great gantry sides ready to be mounted. I have got to get some (proper) screws from the bolt man tomorrow and they should be up and looking nice :)

Greg is still working on the y-axis plate because of a few changes that he suggested, thank you again. I am all fired up again and it is a CNCgood feeling again :)

Bob

Rodm1954
06-25-2007, 05:36 AM
Hi Bob,
Good you are up and going again. How about some photos when you get organised.

Onya Greg.

Greolt
06-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Yeah C'mon Bob. :stickpoke

How about some pics of that gantry standing up. :D

Dingo745
06-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Good to see you are back on track, or should that be gantry ?
You're lucky to have some fellow CNC'ers nearby to lend a hand.
I think I must be the only one in Tassie, anyone else out there I wonder ?

Regards,
Deane

crocky
06-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi Bob,
Good you are up and going again. How about some photos when you get organised.

Onya Greg.

I will get some pics up as soon as the cap screws arrive, they are on order from a local supplier. Probably will take a couple of days before they arrive and then I will be busy for a while :) .

Rod reckons you are an alright bloke too Greg :cheers:

I have decided to replace the nice shiny bunnings screws with cap screws too after my discussion with Greg. More work :) but I have plenty of time.

We will have to try and find someone else in Tassie for Deane to talk to :) the gantry is beautiful.....

Bob

Tashammer
06-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Nah Deane, i am just an old invalid with no workshop who reads and dreams and sits amongst bits of computer, soaking old saws in molasses. I am trying to get fit enough to go out and maybe do a TAFE unit. Now i have just written my car off and no in-sewer-ants (apologies to Terry Pratchett). My word, my life is just full of opportunities <grin>
Have a good one :)

Dingo745
06-26-2007, 03:06 AM
Seems like we are all disabled in some way or another.
Tashammer, what part of Tassie are you located ?
Maybe there others hiding in the bush.

crocky
06-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Hi Tas and Deane,

Your right when you say we all have a disability or two but don't let it stop you from getting something to happen though :)

I'm sitting here trying to learn enough cad to get the z-axis drawn properly, gets a bit hard with one hand at times but I am determined to do it :)

Pleased to meet you too tas :)

Bob

Tashammer
06-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Lonnie (for the furriners that is Launceston).

G'day Bob.
The bloke next door only has the use of 1 arm (acquired brain injury plus a mashed nerve plexus. I think we are 2 damaged people that have been placed in the community by Housing Tasmania who own these units.

There are always other folks worse off though.

What annoyingly slows me down is only having 1 lung so i have to get decent breathing gear or avoid doing stuff. Wouldn't you know it that the stuff i like doing makes dust - blarsted mdf. So i am trying to aim at minimum power tools and maximum hand tools.

The path i love is resurrecting old tools OR i would like to cast aluminium and cast iron. Doing it via the aforementioned ways often means making tools to make tools to make tools etc. Which is terrific :-) and will take ages and they can bury me with a swage block.

Dingo745
06-26-2007, 06:39 AM
G'day Tas,
Geez, almost next door. I'm down the other end, Bagdad.
Been enjoying the weather lately ? Been dead set brass monkey weather for the last week or two.
Bob your not wrong about cad being hard to come to grips with. What program are you using ?

Dingo745
06-26-2007, 06:43 AM
For the foreigners that is only 160 km. away.

crocky
06-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Lonnie (for the furriners that is Launceston).

G'day Bob.
The bloke next door only has the use of 1 arm (acquired brain injury plus a mashed nerve plexus. I think we are 2 damaged people that have been placed in the community by Housing Tasmania who own these units.

There are always other folks worse off though.

What annoyingly slows me down is only having 1 lung so i have to get decent breathing gear or avoid doing stuff. Wouldn't you know it that the stuff i like doing makes dust - blarsted mdf. So i am trying to aim at minimum power tools and maximum hand tools.

The path i love is resurrecting old tools OR i would like to cast aluminium and cast iron. Doing it via the aforementioned ways often means making tools to make tools to make tools etc. Which is terrific :-) and will take ages and they can bury me with a swage block.

Well you have the right attittude, there is always someone worse off than you :)

The casting of aluminium and cast iron would be a pretty good pastime, have you had a look at any of the kilns for it. If I remember correctly there is a guy down at Geelong with a home made kiln. His name is Cam and the address is http://home.iprimus.com.au/cmckeown/foundry.htm you may find something of interest there.

Bob

crocky
07-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Hey Deane,

How is your router going, must just about have all of the wiring done now.

I have the gantry sides beautifully made now, y-axis and z-axis made by Greolt and he has done a great job :)

The CAD program I am learning is autocad, only enough to achieve the ends that I need from it though.

Still got some running around to do with motor mounts and bearing plates etc...

Getting there now :)

Bob

Dingo745
07-02-2007, 03:51 AM
G'day Bob,
Great to see your up and running again, won't be long now!
My machine has been running for about two weeks or so. Going through finding all the little faults and problems at the moment.
Looking at upgrading to ballscrews soon (already).
The software side of things is another BIG learning curve.
Mach3 has more bells and whistles than you can poke a stick at, but pretty easy to use.
I know you have Mach3 and Autocad, but do you have a CAM package for making toolpaths etc ?
This is one hobby that will keep the old grey matter functioning at 110% and your wallet empty if you let it.
Still, made round to go round.

crocky
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
G'day Bob,
Great to see your up and running again, won't be long now!
My machine has been running for about two weeks or so. Going through finding all the little faults and problems at the moment.
Looking at upgrading to ballscrews soon (already).
The software side of things is another BIG learning curve.
Mach3 has more bells and whistles than you can poke a stick at, but pretty easy to use.
I know you have Mach3 and Autocad, but do you have a CAM package for making toolpaths etc ?
This is one hobby that will keep the old grey matter functioning at 110% and your wallet empty if you let it.
Still, made round to go round.

Hi Deane,

It really looks the business now that it runs, top job :)

Ballscrews will be a better move but you have to try with what you can afford first. Did you have any trouble aligning the table for flatness etc?

I have just bought all the cap screws to mount the linear bearings onto the frame with the "right" fittings so the frame is in bits again while I make some changes to the mounting screws! I'll put these on with some super screw lock too because when she goes together I wont be pulling that apart again.

The mach3 software is a great way to control a CNC machine and it does take some learning but it is worth it. That is the one thing that a one handed guy has no trouble doing :)

CAM software, I have a leaning towards the Vectric Vcarve Pro but the price is $$$ too much at this time. Will probably get it after I have had the machine running for a while. Have to see!

Better get some work done here now!!!

Bob

crocky
07-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, finally some progress and many, many thanks to Greolt who has got the aluminium and manufactured the gantry sides for me and the y-axis and the z-axis.

So what do I have now:

Firstly I had decided to remove the linear bearings from the z-axis and fit them with cap screws (Greolts hint) which is a BIG deal for me with one arm and required the removal of one end pair of legs and cross beam because of the way that I had constructed it. That was done and then I had to refit the legs and cross beam and then make sure that it was square again before going on any further.

I had to tap the holes in the gantry cross piece an extra 10mm because I had bought 8mm x 40mm (10mm) longer cap screws than I needed.

I thought I would put the gantry sides on and put the joining piece on from the bottom. Easy you say, I thought it was too!! The gantry did go on nice and easy but I could not get the lower piece between the two gantry sides (of course I had put loctite on the gantry and tightened the bolts all the way) and I had made sure that it was nice side out. After trying for a little while and not having much success I pulled the gantry sides off again and after checking them for flatness (it wasn't exactly flat and I think I remember Greolt telling me that one side might be better than the other) I put them on the opposite sides to where they had been fitted and put on the joining piece from the bottom and it went very easily :) This time I had only just done up the screws to hold everything in place (loose).

The next job was to replace the y-axis linear bearing screws with cap screws as well :) and re-assemble them again. I was starting to get good at all of this pulling apart and then re-building things :) and I had to tap the holes in the ends for another 10mm too! That went very well and the fitment was quite easy as well.

All of the bolts/cap screws were done up in stages and now I have a gantry that is very rigid and is quite easy to move even considering the weight that it now has :)

Now I just have to loctite them again one cap screw at a time :)

Greolt has the aluminium y-axis and the linear rails for the z-axis plate. He has done a wonderful job of fitting them together and even made me a clamp for the router. The z-axis looks beaut and he even has some nice lovejoy couplings that he got from a local supplier for me as well so we are getting there now.

What does a smile look like :)

Bob

Rodm1954
07-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Bob
The way it is coming together shows that you did your homework on the design. Your choice of materials and the way you have put it together make it a neat and strong machine.
I look forward to the next installment.

crocky
07-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Bob
The way it is coming together shows that you did your homework on the design. Your choice of materials and the way you have put it together make it a neat and strong machine.
I look forward to the next installment.

We hope it is strong enough :)

Dingo745
07-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Starting to really look the business now Bob.
Good on ya Greg, nice job.

Deane.

crocky
07-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Starting to really look the business now Bob.
Good on ya Greg, nice job.

Deane.

Hi Deane,

Well he has basically got the y-axis finished but I don't want to put the pictures up, it would be much better if Greg does it because he has done a fair amount of really good work. He is doing a wonderful job!

Bob

Greolt
07-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Y axis. Dual angular contact at motor end. "Skate" support at other end.

crocky
07-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Hi All :)

It has now been finished thanks to heaps of help from Greolt who has done the x-axis complete drive assembly, the y-axis complete drive assembly and the z-axis complete drive assembly. He has put more thought and effort into doing them than I would have, mine would probably have worked but no where near as good as this one does.

Greolt came over one day last week and bought a bag of goodies with him :)

The set up for mach3 was done as well with motors tuned and set for mm and surprising enough it all got up and worked straight away. Amazing :)

Here's the piccy's of the x-axis, thanks Greolt :cheers:

crocky
07-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Here is the z-axis, it's a bit tight in there and there is a nut for the lead screw in that gap :) The router bracket was made by Greolt too :) all motors have a dual angular contact bearing fitted to the motor end.

crocky
07-30-2007, 08:44 PM
The first video :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/KAvD1IvYsV0

Not much but it is nice to see it make it's first move under the control of a computer :banana: :wee: :banana:

Now to get it finished and working :)

acondit
07-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Bob,

I am glad that you are making such good progress.

Continuing best wishes,
Alan

Rodm1954
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Very nice work there Bob and Greg. Bob it has been a long time coming and your persistance has won out over your health issues so it must be very satisfying to see it finished.
A credit to the builders and lets see lots of artistic CNC creations start coming off that machine.

crocky
07-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi Alan,

Yes, it took a while to happen but it did :) and now I have got to just tidy up in a few area's and then I'll be producing some good stuff :cheers: it would not have happened without some expert help but that is the name of the game and this cnc stuff is sure addictive too :)

Thanks for the wishes :)

crocky
07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Very nice work there Bob and Greg. Bob it has been a long time coming and your persistance has won out over your health issues so it must be very satisfying to see it finished.
A credit to the builders and lets see lots of artistic CNC creations start coming off that machine.

Hi Rod,

I am still deciding on what I will use for a top.

I am now thinking that I should buy a couple of flat alloy strips and fix them to the rails of the frame with rivets to protect the bearings on the x-axis. They are subject to a fair bit of dust at the moment and I would like to minimise it as much as possible.

That would then mean that I can have a base board that is about 520mm wide (cutting width) and about 20mm a side free for clamping which would be super and much like your rodot. Thinking really hard here :)

The health issues are all fine and it is blokes like you who help make things happen :) for us blokes with slightly disabled bodies :)

Seems like a long time ago that I started on the cnc road and really it has only been about 6 months, how time flies :) when you are having fun :)

Cheers,
Bob

dsquire
07-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Alan,

Yes, it took a while to happen but it did :) and now I have got to just tidy up in a few area's and then I'll be producing some good stuff :cheers: it would not have happened without some expert help but that is the name of the game and this cnc stuff is sure addictive too :)

Thanks for the wishes :)

Congratulation Bob & Greg. :cheers:

Sometimes good things take a bit longer but in the end the finished product is worth the extra time. From what I have seen in following your build you have built a CNC router that you can both be proud of. The fact that you did manage to build it with one hand makes it even more impressive. I am sure that you will spend many enjoyable hours getting to know your machine even better while you get any little bugs worked out.

I am planning to build one but still not sure on some of the details yet as it is still in the planing stage but it will be an aluminum frame similar to yours.

Have fun making the chips fly Bob but don't breath too much dust.

Don

epineh
07-31-2007, 10:31 PM
I will jump on the bandwagon, nice work Bob, looking forward to seeing what you create with your router.
Cheers. :cheers:
Russell.

crocky
08-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Congratulation Bob & Greg. :cheers:

Sometimes good things take a bit longer but in the end the finished product is worth the extra time. From what I have seen in following your build you have built a CNC router that you can both be proud of. The fact that you did manage to build it with one hand makes it even more impressive. I am sure that you will spend many enjoyable hours getting to know your machine even better while you get any little bugs worked out.

I am planning to build one but still not sure on some of the details yet as it is still in the planing stage but it will be an aluminum frame similar to yours.

Have fun making the chips fly Bob but don't breath too much dust.

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the the note :) hopefully not too many bugs to sort out, I am still learning the software at present and I will be for some time :)

You cannot go wrong with the ITEM frame, it is so easy. I would have used it for the gantry sides as well but I had a friend who was going to do it in 10mm alloy for me. It did not end up being done after 2 months of waiting and that was when I called on the zone to help and Greg came up and did much more than I expected him to do - thanks Greg :)

Let us know how you go when you start, it is fun and really addictive when you finally get one working :)

Cheers,
Bob

crocky
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
I will jump on the bandwagon, nice work Bob, looking forward to seeing what you create with your router.

Hi Russell,

Yep, finally got there :)

It has been fun and I have made heaps of friends since I started and I am sure they are really good friends :wave:

I reckon it will be a few weeks before I start doing anything serious with it, still learning the software at present. The thing is, it's addictive and I just love watching it do cuts :cheers: might have to move it out to the shed though :)

Cheers,
Bob

twistedfuse
08-02-2007, 12:35 AM
Bob,

Lovely machine, definately an inspiration for those of us who are currently building our machines. I was just curious as to what the average price of the item was(per m or whatever it comes in). Also postage costs. Im sure there is someone form sydney who sells it but i was just wondering what the price was. I already designed my frame but will be looking to build a new machine and might think of using that stuff to save in alignment.

Anyway great work and nice machining greg. I hope my machine comes out anywhere near as nice as that. Great work again.

Daniel

P.S Would love to see a few more pictures and vids on your website. lol

crocky
08-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Bob,

Lovely machine, definately an inspiration for those of us who are currently building our machines. I was just curious as to what the average price of the item was(per m or whatever it comes in). Also postage costs. Im sure there is someone form sydney who sells it but i was just wondering what the price was. I already designed my frame but will be looking to build a new machine and might think of using that stuff to save in alignment.

Anyway great work and nice machining greg. I hope my machine comes out anywhere near as nice as that. Great work again.

Daniel

P.S Would love to see a few more pictures and vids on your website. lol

Hi Daniel,

You can get prices at Unit 19, 14 Sheridan Close, Milperra, Sydney 2214 Phone: 02 9792 7188 Linear Bearings in Sydney. There is an electronic catalog for ITEM on their website too www.linearbearings.com.au so that should answer all of your questions. I think mine was about $850 for the frame and the fastening kits.

I must do some updates to the site soon :) I have been watching your progress and it is good to see another router going together :)

Cheers,
Bob

WillyInAus
08-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi Bob,

Well not sure if I have said this yet or not but well done, so do you feel like a kid with a new toy it realy looks good cant wait to see a vid of it in full swing. :banana: :banana: :banana:

So has the wife made you take it out to the Shed yet.

Sean

crocky
08-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi Sean,

Nah, she reckons it is okay inside :)

I'll probably take the stepper off the y-axis so I can fit it through the doorway and put it in the shed, it is getting way too dusty in here now :) then I will have to think about an extraction device for the dust. Lots of things to do :wee:

Got some of the frame finished today and I got the timber and screws for the top today so thats the weekend taken care of :)

Cheers,
Bob

Colin300
08-03-2007, 07:38 AM

I am new to this too and there is no way i will spend $1600 on drivers or power supplies.
Have a look around at DIY pcb boards. May be $200 for interface to a parallel port and three driver boards. Thats what I hope to do .

Colin300

miata90redd
08-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Hey if your rather electronic shy you should check out the following site
http://www.candcnc.com/Xylotex-SuperCombo-Bundle.htm
This is a complete package and the stepper are even wired so Its plug and play and it uses Xylotex stepper motor controller. I would suggest them I have had good luck with them and they will help out if you have a problem.
I made my own CNC router and modified a old CNC lathe. I am a school teacher and student love to make their own products
Good building

crocky
08-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Hi,

This is my first real live project :banana:

It is only a sign for our grandson's :) bedroom door. Made out of 12.5mm MDF and approx 130mm high x 95mm wide. It was sprayed blue before it was routered, not bad for a first try.

Bob

Greolt
08-25-2007, 02:12 AM
Looks great Bob. :cheers: The first of many fruits of your labours.

ccsparky
08-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi,

This is my first real live project :banana:

It is only a sign for our grandson's :) bedroom door. Made out of 12.5mm MDF and approx 130mm high x 95mm wide. It was sprayed blue before it was routered, not bad for a first try.

Bob

The sign looks really good!
Have been following your build for a while, turned out really nice!

Bob

WillyInAus
08-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi Bob

Well done mate, you must be having so much fun, looking forward to seeing more of your work soon.

Sean

crocky
08-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Looks great Bob. :cheers: The first of many fruits of your labours.

Thanks for the help :)

I am starting to think seriously about a vacuum clamping table now. I will probably build it out of 20mm like you did and I think I will try a junk refridgerator compressor just for the novelty value :) and hopefully be quieter. How deep did you go with the grooves, I know that you mentioned 1mm cuts but how many passes?

crocky
08-25-2007, 09:05 PM
The sign looks really good!
Have been following your build for a while, turned out really nice!

Bob

Hi Bob,

The whole thing is beaut :) just watching it cut is a truly amazing thing :)

This CNC bug is very addictive :)

Bob

crocky
08-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Hi Bob

Well done mate, you must be having so much fun, looking forward to seeing more of your work soon.

Sean

How are the storms going up in the Gold Coast?

Got couple of other kids to do them for and I will do one for my doctor and then.....

Bob

WillyInAus
08-26-2007, 12:20 AM
All good now,

To be honest we needed the rain and I needed to replace that window anyway and the tree that came down well we have a better view as well lol.

Had a couple of mates take pity and come around to help me clean up a few runs to the tip and the yard is looking like it did before the storm.

A crap load of selastic fixed the roof for now until the insurance company gets around to have a look.

Sean

Whens the Bobs CNC video coming? :rainfro:

dsquire
08-26-2007, 02:27 AM
Hi,

This is my first real live project...

It is only a sign for our grandson's :) bedroom door. ....

Bob

Bob

I imagine that when your Grandson is old enough too appreciate that he was the first person to benifit from your home built CNC project he will be quite proud of his Grandfather, as he should be.

You have put together a very fine looking machine and I am sure it will serve you well as you put it to the test. Looking forward to great piles of router chips and a few pictures of projects that you make with it.

Cheers :cheers:

Don

twistedfuse
08-26-2007, 09:35 AM
"Only A Bed Sign" he said.

I'd say its your first master piece. I hope to be able to make Bed Signs like that soon too. :-p

Looks great, keep up the great work. Look forward to many more photos of your masterpieces. Great machine too.

Daniel

crocky
08-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Bob

I imagine that when your Grandson is old enough too appreciate that he was the first person to benifit from your home built CNC project he will be quite proud of his Grandfather, as he should be.

You have put together a very fine looking machine and I am sure it will serve you well as you put it to the test. Looking forward to great piles of router chips and a few pictures of projects that you make with it.

Cheers :cheers:

Don

Hi Don,

:)

I've been making more too, two other grandkids to be done :cheers: it sure is nice now and it is working sweet!!

Bob

crocky
08-27-2007, 12:47 AM
"Only A Bed Sign" he said.

I'd say its your first master piece. I hope to be able to make Bed Signs like that soon too. :-p

Looks great, keep up the great work. Look forward to many more photos of your masterpieces. Great machine too.

Hi Daniel,

Here is another pair of them, now I have discovered vectors and how to use them. They are magic!!

You must be getting pretty close with your machine now :)

Bob

Mr.Chips
08-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Congratulants on a job well done. The use of 80/20 makes for a really professional looking piece.

You mentioned a vacuum system. Take a look at the link below especially the “Medical Risks” part.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

It’s a very detailed site with tons of information and construction plans.

Keep the pictures and projects coming.

Hager

crocky
08-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Congratulants on a job well done. The use of 80/20 makes for a really professional looking piece.

You mentioned a vacuum system. Take a look at the link below especially the “Medical Risks” part.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

It’s a very detailed site with tons of information and construction plans.

Keep the pictures and projects coming.

Hager

Hi Hager,

Thanks VERY much for that :) some really useful information there and a source of quite a lot of reading.

Bob

Mr.Chips
08-27-2007, 02:32 AM
Bob,

The link below contains a very detailed build of one of the Cyclone vacuums. Good pictures and construction tips.

He has a lot of interesting projects. He's a Canadian living in Japan and his workshop is in the basement.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/cyclone.htm

Hager

WillyInAus
08-27-2007, 04:25 AM
Isn't that Tokyo Stu, funny how he always seems to turn up on forums.

Sean

twistedfuse
08-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Bob,

Sure are right. Brilliant looking, definately getting a hang on those vectors. Its a treat to look at and an envy to those still building, but definately somethng to help push you to get it done. Yeah, my build is slowly coming along, sorta got sidetracked for a bit there cause of the flue and work but back on track now. Only the last few parts to be made then to test it all out. Im really looking forward to it.

Ill be cutting along side you and the many others soon. (Hoping to move the gantry axis this week and the main axis if i put a bit of hard work in during the week.)

Keep up the great work. Results are great. I was curious if you tested your accuracy(could have overlooked that in a post by accident)?

Thanks again,
Daniel

crocky
08-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Bob,

Sure are right. Brilliant looking, definately getting a hang on those vectors. Its a treat to look at and an envy to those still building, but definately somethng to help push you to get it done. Yeah, my build is slowly coming along, sorta got sidetracked for a bit there cause of the flue and work but back on track now. Only the last few parts to be made then to test it all out. Im really looking forward to it.

Ill be cutting along side you and the many others soon. (Hoping to move the gantry axis this week and the main axis if i put a bit of hard work in during the week.)

Keep up the great work. Results are great. I was curious if you tested your accuracy(could have overlooked that in a post by accident)?

Thanks again,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Here is some more :)

I had to do him another one, the first one was a bit simplistic(sp). The one that is for Xavier's Bedroom left the router table at a great rate of knots. You can see the marks on it from the episode. I had cut it too close to a previous cut that was done on the table and when it was cutting the last edge it took off! I was using an end mill and did it fly, no injuries and even the end mill will live for another day. A very valuable lesson learnt :) won't do that again!

The 106 is the number of our house :) it is only a demo and the wife will take it show the people at her work :) 180mm x 140mm

The test for accuracy was a 50mm circle and a 50mm square done a little while ago now, that is all it was too!!

Cheers,
Bob

Greolt
08-29-2007, 02:49 AM
The house one looks good too Bob. You're really churning them out now. :)

Does that material already have the blue colour or are you painting it?

Greg

twistedfuse
08-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Bob,

They look the goods. :-)

I agree with greg, the house number one looks fantastic and i too would also like to know if that wood is pre-coloured or if you painted it then masked it and routed it.

Good news for me, the final touches are being put onto my machine now, so all that is left is to test the main axis then try with the motors. Then ill be back to rack your brains on your design and cutting techniques. lol.

Keep up the great work and look forward to more photos.

Daniel

crocky
08-29-2007, 03:38 AM
The house one looks good too Bob. You're really churning them out now. :)

Does that material already have the blue colour or are you painting it?

Hi Greg,

It is only 12.5mm plain MDF and painted with metallic blue auto paint :) which was all I had in the shed. It's only practice at this stage :) and not the sort of thing you would put outside in the weather.

Bob

crocky
08-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Bob,

They look the goods. :-)

I agree with greg, the house number one looks fantastic and i too would also like to know if that wood is pre-coloured or if you painted it then masked it and routed it.

Good news for me, the final touches are being put onto my machine now, so all that is left is to test the main axis then try with the motors. Then ill be back to rack your brains on your design and cutting techniques. lol.

Keep up the great work and look forward to more photos.

Thanks Daniel :)

Painted then routered, no masking tape anywhere near it. There was a little bit of 'fir' that was carefully sanded off and that was all I done :) I love watching the table doing things under remote control :)

That sounds like another one getting ready :) wood chips on the way :)

Where abouts in Nowra are you, I used to call in ocassionally to the Navy Base where we had a contract.

Bob

twistedfuse
08-29-2007, 04:57 AM
Bob,

Im actually on the other side(sydney side) of the bridge in Bomaderry. IF you know a little bit about the place im not far from the high school/basketball stadium.

Yeah im hoping the chips will be flying soon. I just finished the CAD drawings and building templates from wood to test my ideas for the final axis mounts and all is well. Ill have them cut out tomorrow and hopefully find a way to mount the motors and test it out. Then it will just be a matter of choosing my spindle(probably a die grinder), building its mount and saving up to replace the mdf table with some aluminum. Then its all the small things(after ive mucked around with it for a while) like switches tweaks etc.

Look forward to showing you pictures of my signs soon too.

Daniel

P.S What software did you use to create the signs? Maybe i missed that ebfore so im sorry if im doubling up on posts.

Greolt
08-29-2007, 05:08 AM
Moved this post. Had it in the wrong thread. Sorry Bob. (wrong)

twistedfuse
08-29-2007, 05:20 AM
Me too Bob,

wrong forum. (wrong)
Still liking those signs. More food for thought and to push my build along.

Daniel

crocky
09-02-2007, 03:58 AM
Here is a couple more of them, Nader is 320mm x 40mm :) bobscncsign 115mm x 90mm has not been even been sanded yet :)

Bob

twistedfuse
09-02-2007, 07:42 AM
More Masterpieces,

Really like your signs. Keep up the great work, by the looks of them you should get plenty of work and will definately pay off your machine soon.

Thanks again for the inspiration,
Daniel

P.S As always cant wait to see more

ccsparky
09-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Bob,

Those are really nice! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

What bits are you using for your signs?

The matalic blue auto paint looks good on that Mustang :)

Bob

crocky
09-02-2007, 06:55 PM
More Masterpieces,

Really like your signs. Keep up the great work, by the looks of them you should get plenty of work and will definately pay off your machine soon.

Thanks again for the inspiration,
Daniel

P.S As always cant wait to see more

I don't know about paying it off soon :) it has almost cost me my good arm and leg but it was worth it. I expect to be able to supplement my meager(sp) pension by doing a thing that I like doing and it is a little bit of an art work as well so I can be just a bit creative too :) and no 2 signs will be the same (unless they have to be).

I have got to go down the hardware store and get some different clamps, the current ones are a bit old and really should be used by a two handed person. I figure some of those single handed trigger operated things should be okay :)

Got to clean some more of the shed out today, I need more room :)

Cheers,
Bob

crocky
09-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Bob,

Those are really nice! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

What bits are you using for your signs?

The matalic blue auto paint looks good on that Mustang :)

Hi Bob,

The bits are Craftsman 90 degree V bit Tungsten Carbide Tipped to do the carving and a Craftsman End Mill with TCT also and 6.35mm diameter (1/4). I don't expect a super quick cut and only have the end mill going at 2mm depth so it takes a few passes to cut a sign out, I have all the time in the world though :).

Gotta admit that I like it too, specially in the Blue :)

Cheers,
Bob

WillyInAus
09-03-2007, 04:21 AM
Hi Bob,

Good work big fella, I enjoy seeing what your up to gives me some ideas what software are you using for your cam Mach3?

I also am thinking for outlaying for some vectric sw when I get up an running but will have to wait for my bonus to come in to pay for it haven't told the wife yet.

Sean

crocky
11-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Went for quick trip down to Greg's (Greolt) place last week to get the holder for the Ozito enlarged just a little so it would hold a Milwaukee DG30QE Die Grinder which is 500 watt and variable speed. It is a nice bit of gear and MUCH better than the Ozito was.

I also got a pair of Peltor ear muffs and I have to say they are good as well.

I have finished my dust collector that works on the cyclone system and it works pretty well, but there may be some room for improvement. There is very little waste getting to the vacuum cleaner now which was the whole point of the exercise :) I can put the details up here if anyone is interested, most of it is second hand 20 litre paint tins :D

Cheers,
Bob

epineh
11-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Yup I would be interested in pics of the cyclone setup. I would like to do the same for my machine just in case I ever get it to actually work (chair)

Russell.

WillyInAus
11-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi Bob,

How have you found the cyclone handling MDF dust, I cleaned out my shop vac yesterday and was wondering how much would pass by the clone to the vac, I am still going to build one and have started acquiring stuff at work for it,

I have started work on my dust shoe I have a couple of different design ideas need to find what works the best though.

Sean

crocky
11-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Yup I would be interested in pics of the cyclone setup. I would like to do the same for my machine just in case I ever get it to actually work (chair)

Russell.

Hi Russell,

The whole thing is located here http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cyclonic.html

I did think of putting a write up here but I have already done one :) so I'll just point people to there :)

You will get it done, just takes time and your circuit board printer looks neat :)

Bob

crocky
11-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi Bob,

How have you found the cyclone handling MDF dust, I cleaned out my shop vac yesterday and was wondering how much would pass by the clone to the vac, I am still going to build one and have started acquiring stuff at work for it,

I have started work on my dust shoe I have a couple of different design ideas need to find what works the best though.

Hi Sean,

Well it looks like there is not much getting thru to the cleaner :) so far.

It is definitely worth doing and the 20 litre tin means that it does not have to be cleaned very often and that is really good.

I have got some mods in mind to do with funnel hole size etc so it will be a bit of a continual work for a while.

I am not going to the dust shoe, I have enough trouble changing tools now :) with one hand :)

Bob

desmo
11-18-2007, 03:19 AM
hello all i seen the post on your router table crocky
nice job i am making one my self that brings me to here
your table is 900x700 what length ball screws did you get
i am looking at making my table 1500x 900

thanks des

crocky
11-21-2007, 05:42 PM
hello all i seen the post on your router table crocky
nice job i am making one my self that brings me to here
your table is 900x700 what length ball screws did you get
i am looking at making my table 1500x 900

Hi Des,

Screw lengths are about 38" for the X axis, 30" for the Y axis and 12" for the Z axis. All had 1 1/2 machined down to 5/16 at one end to allow for the drive couplings and bearings to be installed. Why inches, thats what they came in from the states :)

Still going well and now with a new router :)

Bob

epineh
11-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Hi Russell,

The whole thing is located here http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/cyclonic.html

I did think of putting a write up here but I have already done one :) so I'll just point people to there :)

You will get it done, just takes time and your circuit board printer looks neat :)

Bob

Cheers for the info Bob, it is now on the to do list.

Yeah I will get the thing going "one day". Got a bit of time off for the silly season so the plan is to get stuck in to it then.

Russell.

crocky
02-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi, I'm still around :)

Just putting a pic up of the new 5 megapixel camera, focuses down to 50mm which will be nice as a X and Y axis setting device :)

Cheers,
Bob

crocky
04-10-2008, 05:54 AM
Another adventure :)

I got a little vac-clamp yesterday to use with the CNC machine.

What a good little thing it is :) Uses the compressed air from my compressor through a venturi arrangement to produce a vacuum. I got the valve to operate it as well and it looks pretty neat now that I have mounted it on to the table. I was sure the plastic chopping board would produce a big leak and not seal because it has a raised criss/cross pattern on the surface, not to worry it sealed very well and tight too.

I primarily got the vac-clamp to enable me to do some lithophanes without the need for clamping with various levers and things. Now I just have to learn the software :) and test with various materials :)

There is some other parts that I have got for it too, some spacer blocks and a deeper gasket that you can apparently cut holes through the bottom surface of the part being machined with out destroying all of the vacuum. Have not tested these yet, but when I do....

Piccy's attached :) vac-clamp and inst booklet, vac-clamp, vac-clamp valve and holding the cutting board!!

Cheers,
Bob

epineh
04-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Have not tested these yet, but when I do....

Cheers,
Bob

How is the testing going Bob ? It will be interesting to see how well it works.

Cheers.

Russell.

crocky
04-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Hi Russell,

It worked fine holding the cutting board and it has a fairly porous surface and I used it to cut a lithophane on the same porous cutting board. Don't think the lithophane was the best but it was a proof of concept thing.

I finally found someone that would sell me Corian and in decent quantities but gee that stuff sure has a price. 6 mm in Glacier White. I am remodelling the shed now and giving the CNC top billing so there is a fair bit of stuff being moved about at present and I have a couple of 30 degree tools on order. The thing will be quiet for about a week and then I will be hard at lithophane production. It seems like a good thing to make some money from and an invalid pensioner has got all the time in the world :)

I'll take some more piccy's when I get the garage finished :)

Bob

epineh
04-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Sounds good, I would like to see how you go with the lithoplanes, it is something I would like to try as well, if only I had a working machine instead of a pile of scrap metal/cable/electronic cards sitting in the carport :D

I am working on it though.

I had heard that corian is a little hard/expensive to source, don't tell me the price yet, let me "think" that I will be able to get it when the time comes...

Cheers.

Russell.

crocky
04-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Better late than never :)

YouTube - Bob's CNC Router

The first cut :)

Cheers,
Bob

epineh
04-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Great work Bob, I never get sick of watching those first video's :)

Cheers.

Russell.

crocky
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
G'day All,

There is more....

I am still refining the machining process but this one is nearly there!

YouTube - How I Made my first Lithophane

Enjoy!

epineh
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Nice work Bob, half way through watching the video, my little 4yr old girl walked into the room, got excited and asked if that was my "C" machine going(that is what she call's it), I had to explain that it was someone elses, the look of dissapointment was enough to inspire me to get mine going faster :)

Heh, my teenage daughter say's that CNC stands for Can Not Cut !
Though now I have something working she call's it a CMC...Can Maybe Cut !

I tell ya...Women !

Russell.

Greolt
05-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Good one Bob.:cheers:

That's a bit more up to date than the other video. :)

Greg

crocky
05-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Nice work Bob, half way through watching the video, my little 4yr old girl walked into the room, got excited and asked if that was my "C" machine going(that is what she call's it), I had to explain that it was someone elses, the look of dissapointment was enough to inspire me to get mine going faster :)

Heh, my teenage daughter say's that CNC stands for Can Not Cut !
Though now I have something working she call's it a CMC...Can Maybe Cut !

I tell ya...Women !

:) Get stuck into it then :)

She is probably right in your case :) CMC is heaps better :) hehehe!

Your success over the last couple of days is going in the right direction though.

Bob

crocky
05-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Good one Bob.:cheers:

That's a bit more up to date than the other video. :)

Greg

Hi Greg,

It took me a while to do the first cut one, I was making it much harder than it needed to be.

It is in the finished position in the garage now so I can do something with it now, took that video yesterday :)

Not sure that the mach is set-up like we had it before the PC died, it is fairly close though and this time I have the Mach directory backed up :)

Bob

Matty Zee
05-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Bob,

What setting are you using for your motor tuning? whats you max speed and accel set to? i reckon my motors & machine are similar size. Just got my machine going (haven't done a first cut yet) and just want to see if i'm in the ballpark with my figures.

Cheers
Matt

crocky
05-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi Matt,

I wouldn't say it is perfect, but it is pretty close. I will get it better after the BBQ :)

Here is my Mach 3 xml file zipped up for you to look at, just call it something else :)

See you at the bbq :)

Cheers,
Bob

crocky
05-05-2008, 02:50 AM
The important thing is to have your steps per set to 314.96063 this is for metric and will ensure that a square is a square and the same for circles :).

Bob

Matty Zee
05-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks. I have my steps per set to 393.7 as my ballscrew is 0.2" lead not 0.25"
You accel is much higher than me. May mine is way too low.
What software do you use for you signs? I assume VCarvePro?

Rodm1954
05-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi Matty,
If you have .2 inch pitch screws then your steps should be 314.96 if you are setting up for metric and you have 1,8 degree motors and one eight microstep. You can check your steps in Mach3 anyway.
I like you finished router but this is the wrong thread for that. Sorry Bob.

crocky
05-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi Matty and Rod,

It's okay Rod, we understand :)

Yes, Vectric VCarve Pro and I also have PhotoVCarve and both packages are really good :)

Cheers,
Bob

Matty Zee
05-06-2008, 09:03 AM
and one eight microstep

nope, 1/10 microstep drives (and thanks btw)

Yes, Vectric VCarve Pro and I also have PhotoVCarve and both packages are really good :)

Thanks Bob. Your signs look great. Well done!

crocky
07-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Well my Special Lithophane Backlight Frames are now here and I have stated to sell the artwork now. Personal gifts that are unique :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lithophane-CNC-Personalised-Lamp_W0QQitemZ320270799109QQihZ011QQcategoryZ130626QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Take is easy on me, this will be one of my few sources of income :)

epineh
07-07-2008, 04:39 AM
Good on you Bob, I hope it is a success for you :)

Russell.

crocky
07-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks Russell,

Good to see you have made some progress too :)

crocky
08-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Bob

I emailed you back in april. Iwas thinking about building a smalll cnc machine like yours. Well its coming on quite nicely.

I believe you purchased a xylotex kit, what has it been like for you? would you recommend it? My machine will be a similar size to yours. I have been on their website but they say they only ship inside the USA.

Are they nema 23 motors with 1/4" shafts?

How much did you pay for the kit and is it fairly simple to connect up etc.

1/4 Shafts are correct!

They still ship to Australia surely :)

I got the ready to run kit which was a breeze to get up and going, plug the wires in and go - it was that simple to get working.

I did have one problem that was caused by the heatsinks becoming dislodged from the chips and the driver board gave up on the z-axis but that was nearly 12 months after I bought it. $80 and a quick repair later it was going again.

It is an old system now, 269 motors and cables and the controller box at 240 volt was $450.00 and the freight was $106.00

crocky
08-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Z-Axis details of mounting etc...

View one shows the Z-Axis nut retainer mounted to the Z-Axis plate. The nut enters from the bottom of this piece and is tightened to it, notice that there is also a clearance machined on the bracket that is attached to the Y-Axis. This clearance was necessary to clear the nut. The nut and the Z-Axis screw are retained at the top only, there is no bearing on the other end of the screw because of it's length.

View two is a look at the whole Z-Axis assembly. The stepper motor mount is quite simple, a piece of plate was used to hold the motor and drilled in suitable places to facilitate the bearing, motor mounts and bearing retainer screws.

View three is another look at the motor from the rear and gives some more details, don't look at the practice holes :).

View four shows one of the slides and the very small clearance between all of the parts.

crocky
10-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi,

Well I am still around the place and I am about to upgrade the router with new steppers, drivers, power supplies, e-stop, cabling etc!

So far I have got the following from Kelinginc:

KL-350-48 a 48 volt at 7.5 amp Power Supply
KL-10-5 a 5 volt at 2 amp Power Supply
4 x KL23H276-28-4B Stepper Motors
C10 Breakout Board
4 Microphone Plugs and Sockets
1 E-Stop Switch

and 5 Geckodrive G251's from Geckodrive at the special startup price :)

Now all I have to get is a case, some multi lead wire, draw up a circuit diagram, wire it and test the thing :)

epineh
10-03-2008, 06:09 AM
That is a nice bag of goodies Bob !

Looks like you are going to be a little busy for a week or two :)

Cheers.

Russell.

crocky
10-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi Russell,

Yep, I have got plenty of time.... Slowly goes it!

I got to get the case sorted first and lots of little bits, all good fun :banana:

crocky
10-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Well just about have the circuit diagrams done now..

If you spot any errors, please let me know!!

Greolt
10-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Looks good Bob.

Just a couple of things.

Each drive should have it's own pos and neg wire going back to the power supply. Don't daisy chain them.

Switching input 15 to ground won't work as it is, because that pin has already been pulled low.

You will need to pull it high with a resistor to 5v or remove the on board pulldown resistor. Probably both.

Greg

crocky
10-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Looks good Bob.

Just a couple of things.

Each drive should have it's own pos and neg wire going back to the power supply. Don't daisy chain them.

Switching input 15 to ground won't work as it is, because that pin has already been pulled low.

You will need to pull it high with a resistor to 5v or remove the on board pulldown resistor. Probably both.

Greg

Yep, I will wire them individually :)

I'll check that out when I get closer to the wiring of switches etc!

Action-KAT
01-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi Bob
I stumbled across your build thread looks great, I have been drawing up a build that is almost identical to what you have already completed so it is splendid to see the finished look of the machine & what a impressive build you have done on it. It has given me renewed inspiration to get cracking.
I have a few questions regarding how you mounted the leadscrew into the ali sections you mentioned skate bearings & angular bearings how is this accomplished I couldn’t find a thread on it. I have no means to machine the thread so I think I would have to buy these pre-machined. I was trying to keep costs down but make a good build
(same old story I’m sure )
Thanks again for sharing you build superb information & encouragement
Cheers
KAT

crocky
01-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Hi Kat,

Remembering that my drawing is done with one hand, I'll try to explain how I achieved the screw mounting :) with the help of another CNCzone member.

All the machining at the driven end of the screws was identical, 5/16 for 1 inch then 1/4 for the final 1/2 an inch.

The Z axis was left to float in mid air because it is so short.

The Y axis is machined to 5/16 for 1/2 an inch and a bearing (any old skate type will do) at the end of it. For the driven end there is a thrust type of bearing used and it is retained by two 5/16 lock nuts.

Mihelich
04-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Hey Bob,
I have been following your build here for awhile now and I must say it is one of the finest CNC machines on these forums. Great job to you.
It has inspired me to do one myself which is something I have been wanting to do for a long time now.
I see the last update was awhile ago.
Any updates you can share?

Tom

crocky
10-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately, I have moved into a lifestyle village now and there was no possibility that I could move in with a router table and the associated noise so I had to sell it some time ago. I was just here looking back in memory...