PDA

View Full Version : DC motor suitability?

QSIMDO
04-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I can't help it...I'm a sucker for shiny, techy stuff, and these motors just get me drooling.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/marketplace_magmotors.html

Aside from being quite a bit more expensive than the 3 phase, 2hp Leeson and a VFD, how suitable would the DC be for powering an IH mill upgrade?
Torque figures are insane.

And you guys not using the quill feed, there's your belt drive with a splined pulley on the exposed upper section of the quill.

Hmmm.....

Al_The_Man
04-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I can only see these being used for a VERY short duration, When you have a motor that is not much bigger than a large fist, rated at 285amps and is 2.5kw!!
The heat produced would have to go somewhere if used for for more than a few minutes.
Al.

QSIMDO
04-08-2007, 03:27 PM
I'll bet Bob Warfield could adapt a computer water cooling system....the gauntlet is down!

BobWarfield
04-09-2007, 01:10 PM
I'll bet Bob Warfield could adapt a computer water cooling system....the gauntlet is down!

Scary!

Those motors look to me more like potential servo candidates than spindle motors. I would stick with the 3 phase Leesons for your spindle use.

Best,

BW

jamiechi
04-12-2007, 10:47 PM
I think using a servo for the spindle is a good idea. How about cnc'ing large threaded holes and other complicated holes?

I wouldn't use these motors anyway. They are wound for low voltage and are designed for running robot wheels from batteries. I checked the motor manufacturer's web site and they have some motors that run on 90 volts or more and run as high as 6000 rpm. Step that up 2 or 3 times with pulleys and you should have a good spindle speed for Aluminum.

I've done some work with aluminum with Sherline's high speed 10,000 rpm spindle. Aluminum cuts really nice and the motor is only around 1/3 hp.

Maybe I should mount my Sherline spindle on my IH machine.

QSIMDO
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
http://truetex.com/dcdrv.htm

A DC swap on a Bridgeport using a cheap treadmill motor and the owner seems more than satisfied.