PDA

View Full Version : Dons Rockcliff

dwacker
04-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Here is the beginnings of my Rockcliff. I'm as new to cnc's as it gets. I have build a few Rockcliff's for friends since I have all the tools in my shop but have never actually used one. I'm sort of planning as I go along and get supplies. This is what I managed so far just from stuff lying around.

Don

dwacker
04-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Tool mount with a ridged variable speed trim router.

big t
04-08-2007, 01:33 AM
Looks good don, I am interested to see how this machine comes out.

dwacker
04-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Looks good don, I am interested to see how this machine comes out.

Hey man, its comming along? So when are you starting yours?:)
Here is the z/x attatching plate.

big t
04-08-2007, 11:13 AM
I have to say that you have piqued my interest, and ordered the plans last night! When you get yours together, I would like to stop by and see it.

dwacker
04-10-2007, 10:39 PM
A little more.

dwacker
04-28-2007, 10:06 AM
A little more of my Rockcliff, Just need a y axis.

waxwhacker
04-29-2007, 09:41 PM
A little more of my Rockcliff, Just need a y axis.

I like the way you setup your motherboard and Xylotex driver, Just be dure to keep a constant air flow over the heatsinks on the driver board, if the driver gets hot, it will do strange things like gain steps sometimes they will lose steps but it's freakier when they gain, I've been using them for 2 or 3 years and only had one accident, which was my fault, I was about ready to throw in the towel though untill I figured the cooling thing out. Oh and watch out if you are engraving alu. I blew my first board up by getting a tiny chip of gold onto the board, Jeff got me fixed up and returned in about 8 days.
In one thumbnail on an earlier posting, it looked like you had made your X-Z axis out of acrylic or lexan and fitted it with bronze/brass bushings, did that work out OK? I'm starting my router next week and hyave enjoyed looking at some of the varations, sure looks good so far
Ken Ferrell

dwacker
04-30-2007, 10:36 AM
I like the way you setup your motherboard and Xylotex driver, Just be dure to keep a constant air flow over the heatsinks on the driver board, if the driver gets hot, it will do strange things like gain steps sometimes they will lose steps but it's freakier when they gain, I've been using them for 2 or 3 years and only had one accident, which was my fault, I was about ready to throw in the towel though untill I figured the cooling thing out. Oh and watch out if you are engraving alu. I blew my first board up by getting a tiny chip of gold onto the board, Jeff got me fixed up and returned in about 8 days.
In one thumbnail on an earlier posting, it looked like you had made your X-Z axis out of acrylic or lexan and fitted it with bronze/brass bushings, did that work out OK? I'm starting my router next week and hyave enjoyed looking at some of the varations, sure looks good so far
Ken Ferrell

The acrylic did not work out. It was to tough to get it all aligned. The grooves were out of wack due to the heat so I ended up with mdf.

Don

rockcliff
04-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Don
Your Machine looks Great I really like how you have designed your Y axis and rail mounting blocks, I also have had my share of issues when cutting acrylic too, we use to do a job a few years back, cutting grooves in some 1/4" thick the grooves were only .060 deep and you could actually see the stress marks on the opposite side of the material, it can really do funny stuff when cutting into it, but the pieces you managed to use look good.

dwacker
04-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi Don
Your Machine looks Great I really like how you have designed your Y axis and rail mounting blocks, I also have had my share of issues when cutting acrylic too, we use to do a job a few years back, cutting grooves in some 1/4" thick the grooves were only .060 deep and you could actually see the stress marks on the opposite side of the material, it can really do funny stuff when cutting into it, but the pieces you managed to use look good.

Thank you. The Y mounts were sort of a after thought. One thing I did find while making the parts and pieces. If you make for example the Y axis plate 12" longer than needed, then route the grooves. After the routing is done then cut them off into 2" strips. This makes align perfect and eliminates a step or two.

Don

dwacker
05-06-2007, 12:29 AM
This is the machines first cut thats not just a circle. I'm happy with the way the machine turned out and would recomend the Rockcliff plans to anyone that is new to the cnc hobby.

Don