PDA

View Full Version : So I got this new cool ballscrew...

Noah
03-20-2004, 12:09 AM
I am quite a geek when it comes to mechanical gadgets like these you see and I soon as my new ballscrew arrived I quickly ripped apart the packaging on the ballscrew and attempted to thread on a ballnut. Being in such haste I did not realize that the cardboard tube inserted in the nut must be there for a reason. So as you can imagine. Little steel 3/32" balls ended up everywhere. After spending half an hour picking them all back up I now wonder how to put them back in the nut. The other 3 nuts gave me no problem now that I have learned my lesson, but I hope this lesson does not involve buying a new nut, does it? Is there any way to save my poor ballnut?

cncadmin
03-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Been there done that, it took some patence but I got mine back together.

Noah
03-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Err yeah, but how? Do you just keep putting balls in the nut. But wait, wouldn't they just fall out at the top of the nut?

deanc500
03-20-2004, 12:23 AM
You should be able to replace the balls. One method is as follows:
Remove the recirculating guide tube thing (whatever its called). Place the empty nut on the screw. Feed balls down one side until they go all the way through and start coming out the exit point. Place a small dab of thick grease in one end of the guide tube. Load the other end of the tube with the remainder of the balls and hold them in with more grease. With the grease holding the balls in the tube, you will be able to re attach it to the nut without them falling out.
Dean

Noah
03-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks, I had not thought of that.

svenakela
03-20-2004, 04:50 AM
There are some informative howto's at http://www.industrialhobbies.com that should help you out.

Regards,
Sven