PDA

View Full Version : Bass Ackwards Router Design!

cephjedi
03-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Greetings mechanical geniuses!

I just got finished reading the entire 103 page epic novel that the Joe's 2006 CNC router thread has become. It's an incredible read...and quite educational. So many forums wind up being ego fests, but CNCzone seems to be quite the opposite- the knowledge, friendliness and generosity here is positively inspiring.

I was about 85% finished with a quasi-original design with a sliding table and a dremel, but I may very well dismantle some of the parts and incorporate some of the ideas I read about from the joe forum. I'm kind of kicking myself, because I started on the router AND THEN really started reading. Oh well, it's been fun, and I've learned a lot, even if I did re-invent the wheel a couple times.

I spent a month trolling eBay for precision slides and other gear and I've collected the ingredients for (I hope) a decent machine. I got some nice 56" linear bars and delrin slides for a song, among other motley pieces of recycled machinery. I've got two control boards- a mechatronics from Fernando (I think I've seen him around on this forum) and recently a 4 axis from hobbyCNC.

I've got no photography of it at the moment, but I'll rectify that as I get to it. I just wanted to chime in and say hi and introduce myself to the gang. I hope you'll help me get into "Club CNC" if/when I run into problems!

Cheers, Jim

joecnc2006
03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey Jim, Welcome

I'm sure people here will help you if you need any, its a great hobby, and you are right about everyone here not boasting an Ego, no one person knows it all. We learn from mistakes and each other and also have fun to boot along the way.

Joe

cephjedi
03-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks Joe!

The main problem I've had with my design has been the cuts. Home Depot no longer cuts 2x4 sheets of MDF (or anything) smaller than certain tolerances, citing safety. OK, fine.

My brother has a small table saw, so I took my MDF over there and cut all the pieces out...

Later, when I got home, I discovered that not only was the fence slightly off perpendicular, so was the blade. Every single piece was slightly off and nothing fits together at nice 90 deg angles. Any sane person would go buy another $8.00 piece of MDF from a local hardware store that is willing to cut it .

But I am no sane person. To that end, this has complicated construction somewhat, as I constantly have to double check that the machine is square to itself as I bolt everything together.

So far, the X is done...or maybe it's the Y. There's another question- most people seem to refer to the across-the-gantry movement as the X and the main length of the table is the Y. Is there a reason for that? perhaps we're more accustomed to working in landscape than portrait?

...Anyway, X or Y, the table slides nice, and even though it's visually skewed, it slides straight. I've constructed the Z axis and am about to start on the gantry.

I'm hoping I can get the machine straight enough that I can cut new pieces for V2.0!

Cheers, Jim