PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Cities, Tn

Appalachiatools
03-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Hello all, I am a woodworker, new to cnc milling. I just purchased a 25" x 25" (X x Y) cnc w/ a .5 hp 110v spindle. I'm just getting it set up and watching all the mach videos. I have some plc experience and am a licensed master electrician. My computer skills are lacking to say the least. I think it's more of a patience problem. The x and y axis on my cnc are table movements rather than Gantry and Y-car. I am in Weber City, Va. just across the state line from Kingsport, Tn. Is there anyone in the area who could help give me a jump start or know of any cnc groups in the area? Would be willing to compensate. Thanks in advance for all replies.
Got to say it...Great site! Thanks!!!

--Rick

Aksess
03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Welcome aboard! You need to contact PappaBear10 here on the zone he lives in Briceville so maby not to far from you. I am a little further south in Athens

Appalachiatools
03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. What type of shop do you have or toy with? Are you in Athens Tn. or Ga.? Do you have a working CNC? I will be out of town for the next six weeks but will look up PappaBear10 when I get back and would love to talk more with you. I appreciate the info. I have a small job to do in upstate NY and don't know if I will have any wireless coverage for the puter. I'll be locked up in a cheap motel watching Mach III videos! Wow, saying that felt like I put another 10 years on. How times have changed. Thanks.
Work safe!!!
--Rick

Aksess
03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
I have a small shop at my home. I have a Enco 13x40 lathe and a rongfu rf 31 mill. I use to have a cnc router, You can see photos of stuff I done in the photo gallery here on the zone. mostly photo carvings. It is Athens Tn. No cnc at the moment except a non working laser from Redsail "China Sucks"

Appalachiatools
03-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow, you do absolutely beautiful work! I am truly impressed. I will definately look into purchasing Imagecarve. I have a few furniture projects in mind that I was wondering how I could get small images into some molding for them that are not nearly as impressive. I knew it could be done but had no idea it could be done with such detail. That's amazing. I knew purchasing a cnc would bring a new dimension to my woodworking but had no idea. Can't wait to get back and get it up and running. Can the g-code from Imagecarve be used with Mach3? Will it achieve the same results?

--Rick

Aksess
03-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes it will work with mach 3. The results I acheived was trial and error. The first one I did was horrible, But like anything it just takes time to learn what to do and what not to do. The secret it not in the software but in the immage editing. brightness and contrast settings. I got to where I could tell how a photo would turn out just by how the photo looked. Give me PM and I will give you my contact information. And thank you for the compliment.