PDA

View Full Version : Problems converting DXF files

edo
03-03-2007, 07:40 PM
I've been using the trial version and have had great success with simple files that I've drawn in TurboCAD, but I just can't seem to figure out what's going on with this file. This was created in Adobe Illustrator on a MAC and saved as a DXF file. I moved the file to my PC and was able to open and edit it in TurboCAD, but when I bring it in to NCPlot, I don't get the whole image and parts of it are mirrored. Here are screen dumps of TurboCAD and NCPlot. Any suggestions? Thanks.

MetLHead
03-03-2007, 07:54 PM
If you can post the DXF file, I'll have a look at it.

Thanks,
Scott

edo
03-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the offer, but the file is 2.4MB, too big to upload.

MetLHead
03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
You can also send it to my email, file size shouldn't be a problem:

scottmartinez@ncplot.com

Thanks,
Scott

MetLHead
03-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Ed,

I had a look at your file and noticed a couple of things. First, this file contains block instances, which NCPlot doesn't like. Try exploding (or whatever you call it in TurboCad) the drawing so that it doesn't contain any blocks. Secondly, this showed some mirrored objects when I loaded it into Rhino, so it might be the way TurboCad is saving it. If possible, save it as an R12 or R14 DXF file and try loading it into NCPlot again.

Thanks,
Scott

edo
03-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks for looking at the file for me. I "Exploded" everything and found some 'Block Insertions' that I converted to Polylines. Still no luck. TurboCAD doesn't have options for different types of DXF files. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to look at this again.

ger21
03-03-2007, 10:12 PM
You might want to try using the .dxf converter at www.a9tech.com to convert it to an older version. And also, you can ususally zip a .dxf file down to a much smaller file size.