PDA

View Full Version : New 8'x4' Router build

belli
03-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi all,

I have been promising to put the build log up here so that people can see the machine as it progresses. All the parts were made and the gantry assembled here in my garage, we then transported it to a friends house who very kindly lent me his garage for the final assembly. This machine took about 40hrs to design and was made on little more than a Bridgeport mill and a small lathe.

The X axis uses 20mm HG guides, the Y and the Z use 15mm HG guides. I am running rack and pinion on the X, 20x10mm ball screw on the Y and 12x4mm on the Z. Stepper motors through out.

I will post pics of the control box when I fit it, running Mach through the LPT but purchased a Grex initially (until my friend really wanted it!) I will get another Grex for the next one which is about 80% done (need to find another garage first). The next will be fitted with servo's to see how quick we can really make them go, I will limit the speed on this machine to about 8m/min I think.

I will carry on posting over the next few days as time allows me to build on it.

Cheers,
Greg

www.cncdirect.co.za

joecnc2006
03-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Very nice, I always like the look of the 80/20 industrial style.

Lookforward to seeing it come together, Can you also keep us updated on cost as well?

Thanks, Joe

cut more
03-05-2007, 06:46 AM
belli,
The table looks great so far. Do you have any drawings for your design? I would like to see them if you would not mind. The gantry pictures are pretty dark and It is hard to see much detail, But thank you for posting the pictures.
Cutmore

belli
03-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi All,

Well the X axis linears are on, all one hundred M5 cap screws and the rack for the X, another one hundred M5 cap screws, would you believe that there are almost 500 bolts holding this machine together???

Joe: This section is similar to the Rexroth section, 45 x 90mm and 90 x 90mm, the bigger section weighs about 7.5lb's/ft! Very nice and rigid. I don't know if 80-20 do sections this heavy. As you see the frame it is 10' long and 5.5' wide, about 3' high. I haven't done a good costing exercise but will do one still.

Cutmore: I have done the drawings with ACAD and have asked a friend to do a full 3D model with Solidworks, I have considered offering it as a booklet similar to some others but this is a serious build, no MDF here. I might still make the plans available for download from my website. The gantry has been anodised dark blue, I will take some better shots when we mount it to the frame, maybe tomorrow.

Today I started clocking up the rack to the linear guides, hopefully tomorrow I will be done and then the gantry goes on. The day after will see the electrics mounted and then I am practically done.

Cheers,
Greg

www.cncdirect.co.za

cut more
03-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Belli,
This looks like a very rigid machine! I have a practicalcnc router and it moves around. Your design looks like something I would like to build to replace my table with.
What are you going to use for a table-top?
Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see your finished router!
Cutmore

belli
03-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi All,

I am determined to get done by the end of the week, I clocked up one of the racks today, it is within 0.2mm over 3m which I think is acceptable, the teeth on the rack act like a cheese grater! My knuckles are raw! Tomorrow the other side, then the gantry gets hoisted on and that will be the mechanics about done. Electrics on Thursday hopefully.

Cutmore: I intend fitting a 32mm (1 1/4") MDF top to start with, I made up some vacuum pads that can be screwed to the table if I choose to use vacuum, I will post a photo of them. The aluminium is certainly very rigid and I don't really have facilities to use steel, besides it's really messy when the grinding starts!

Cheers,
Greg

belli
03-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi All,

Today was a good day, got the other rack clocked up and the gantry on. I sheared one of the M5 capscrew and spent about 20mins removing the rack to get the stud out, these things will happen. I guess it was a bad screw.

Gantry is on and looking good, I will screw the Name plates onto the covers tomorrow. I have included some photos of the reduction units on the X axis R&P drives, I have a 15:80 tooth timing pulley arrangement.

The build has stalled at the moment as I have run out of Geckodrives! I have a shipment on the way, hopefully it's here soon.

Cheers,
Greg

joecnc2006
03-07-2007, 03:38 PM
those are some big gantry uprights, but nice to have everything contained inside of them. How do you plan to apply tension to the spur gear against the rack & pinion, (possibly adding a spring to motor assembly to apply the upward force needed).

Joe

belli
03-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi Joe,

Yes, you are correct. There is a threaded rod which screws into the base of the upright. This carries a nut which 'tightens' the pinion into the rack, it is adjusted up until the pinion runs smoothly across the entire travel and is to prevent the pinion 'climbing' out of the rack on a sudden reversal. Then a spring is tensioned over this which takes up just the last little bit of play, this spring is quite light and so shouldn't cause the pinion to wear out. I might add a third nut which forces the pinion away from the rack to prevent the constant pressure caused by the spring, it would only carry the load on the very lowest parts of the rack. The rack is within about 0.008" over its entire length and so I am not sure about this one.

Cheers,
Greg

eloid
03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
what are u using for motor what is the troque rateing per zo/inch

belli
03-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Hi Eloid,

I have two 640 oz.in on the X axis (long axis) driving through 5.3:1 reductions onto rack and pinion. The Y axis has a single 1200oz.in directly on a 10mm pitch ball screw and the Z is a 270oz.in directly driving a 4mm pitch ball screw.

I will easily achieve 15m/min on the X and Y axis, at the 45kHz setting on Mach, if I fit the GRex I am sure I would get 50% higher speeds.

Regards,
Greg

zoltan
03-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Greg,

Could make public the Bill of Materials of your table? I am referring to profiles size and length by each, connector types and quantities, and linear rails size and length? I would like to build a similar table following your photos.

Thank you,

Zoltan

Netjams
03-11-2007, 07:56 AM
That is a very clean build. I sure hope you post some vidio of it cutting after you complete it.

belli
03-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi All,

Here are the photos of the vacuum blocks I might use on this router for work-holding, the idea isn't mine but something I saw a while back on a commercial machine. I started with 20mm (3/4") PVC or HDPE (I'm not sure exactly but the grade if plastic isn't important) and squared the blocks up in the mill, counterbored the mounting holes and drilled the vacuum port which you can see on the side.

I then milled the grooves as you see them in the CNC and used a 6mm silicone pipe to form the seal, the reason that there are so many grooves is that you can run the seal to match the shape of the object you wish to hold, the groove is slightly narrower than the tubing and so the tubing stays put.

The larger pad measures 160mm (6.44") square and the smaller is 80mm (3.22") square, I milled a recess in the tops of the smaller as an experiment to see if it would hold better but I don't think it made any difference. The tubing is model aircraft fuel hose and comes in 6mm and 1/4" sizes.

Total cost for the larger block was about $4 excluding my time. You can mount as many as you wish on your table and for the next lot I might drill the vacuum port right through so that they can 'stack' end on end with just a single vacuum line. It will require a seal of some sort inbetween, perhaps a soft o-ring will do?

I am using a venturi that hooks to the compressor for a vacuum generator, the cost around $20 each but are very wasteful of air, PIAB seems to offer the best selection of these but almost any pneumatic company will have them.

Cheers,
Greg
www.cncdirect.co.za

belli
03-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Netjams,

I will definitely post a video of this machne running, I am waiting for Geckos at the moment, hopefully this week still. I have a second one that I built, about 80% done (in for a penny, in for a pound as they say...) and I will fit servo's and Grex for that one!!!

Hi Zoltan,

I can post a spreadsheet of all of the components, I just need to update it a little (or you could wait for the drawings....)

Cheers,
Greg

zoltan
03-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Greg,

Thank you for reply and for support. The drawings would be great but I am afraid that it will take too long. I was thinking that having the list and the photos I can build it.

Thank you,

Zoltan

zoltan
03-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Greg,

Did you succeed to put together the BOM?

Thank you,

Zoltan

belli
03-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Hello,

My Gecko's are here, date code C7 (Mar '07!). Here is a photo of them mounted to the heatsink, I have a drawing if anyone would like it. I will post photos as I assembled the enclosure, might be running by the end of the week.

Holding thumbs....

Greg

Zoltan: I need a little time, works' got me really busy at the moment.

zoltan
03-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi Greg,

Thank you. Sorry for pushing you. I understand. Take your time and thank you again for decision to share.

Zoltan

joecnc2006
03-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi Greg,

Thank you. Sorry for pushing you. I understand. Take your time and thank you again for decision to share.

Zoltan

Zoltan you have not built a machine yet?... lol
You must have quit a collection of drawing from everyone by now.

Belli, your machine is looking really good now, how are the vampire drives? Looking forward to seeing finished product and maybe some video... :)

Joe

zoltan
03-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi Joe,

You are right. I have several (a lot of) photos and drawings. I have built 4 small machines (hobby) - 3 of MDF and one AL. On each I added something I have learned from others' drawings/photos. I have posted the photos of two MDF machines here on forum one year ago. I have built also a medium machine of steel which is a step closer to a real machine, but not yet. I am working on another one, also, from steel, but not happy with already. I have built several drivers/controllers, starting from the first discret unipolar with which I had a lot of troubles and got a lot of help by e-mail from Phil, up to bipolar microstepping. I have not built your machine as I gave up to convert your files from inches to mm. My goal is to learn and build a real machine for doing busniess as still I do not have a permanent job and pay my loans and bills, and to design and publish here an easy to build machine (no special tools, no CNC) but strong and accurate enough to make real things with. I analyzed and learned from a lot of designs and my project is already 90% done, and I hope the project will be usefull to this comunity. This way I hope one day to give back that much I got from people here. Until now I have spent all my money on CNC and made not even 1 cent yet. Greg's machine is a real one and now, that I spent so much time on learning curve I hope to be able to build something similar and acomplish a part of my dream.

So, I am addicted to CNC and I hope one day to fullfil my dreams.

Zoltan

belli
03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Hello all,

I had a little time today, I mounted all the goodies onto the chassis plate, the first photo shows the plate without but after washing (I always wash the chassis plates and enclosures before the electrics go in, saves those little sparks when swarf drops into your brand new drive ;-) ). The second photo is the plate after mounting all the goodies, I have power coming in at the bottom and going out at the top, the drag chain enters at the top right hand corner.

The enclosure has all its holes but I haven't washed it yet.

Cheers,
Greg

PS Zoltan, I haven't forgotten.

zoltan
03-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Greg,

Thank you. I know.

Zoltan

belli
03-26-2007, 05:36 AM
Hello all,

First photo is the bare enclosure with all its cut-outs, then with chassis plate mounted. You can see how the Geckos mount against the heatsink, I do this so that the enclosure will remain dustproof but I still have good convection over the heatsink for cooling, it also leaves me more space on the chassis plate. I have space for five Gecko's in case I decide to add a 4th axis someday.

Cheers,
Greg

PS Joe, do you have a website?

Robert M
03-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi Greg,
Very nice & clean set up !! :cool:
I’ve been following from the back your progress since the start & I’m very enthusiast for you.
Actually, I envy your set up & seriously thinking to join making a built similar to yours !!
Hopping you will share more details on the components.
For know, could you reveal these:
Is the extrusion from MK or 80/20 ?
A little more on the enclosure box & chassis plate of yours & where did you get those ?
Also, I would appreciate more tech. detail about the “goodies” that’s mounted in this box.

Hopping I’m not pushing the envelope, but I believe you know my point !
Later, Robert M

belli
03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Hello all,

Finally the control box is done, the first photo is the wiring for the Gecko drives, much easier to fit all the wires and then plug them back in than battling to get the wires in when the drives are in the enclosure.

The other photos are the finished box inside and out. Should be fitting it tomorrow!

Cheers,
Greg

belli
03-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Hello Robert,

Thanks for the kind words, I am not really familiar with the 80/20 products, these extrusions are all metric based on the Bosch/Rexroth profiles, the bigger ones are 90x90mm with the X axis coming in at 11kg/m, they are indeed very strong. The extrusions are done locally and are the ones that I sell on my website. All the components that go into this machine are available from here: www.cncdirect.co.za

The enclosure is also local manufacture, 550 x 400 x 220mm steel, powder coated and they also come in orange but I prefer the grey. On the side is the mains isolator, it is not really necessary as the regulations state that you must be able to isolate the machine when you need to work on it, as this simply plugs into the mains it is sufficient to unplug it.

The breakout board is my own (the best one in the whole world!) and the next to that is the power supply board, this is the 'high power' version where I simply mount the rectifier off the board, for less than 6A you can use the integrated rectifier. Gecko's are mounted on the left against the heatsink, and the terminals for the motor connections are at the top. I am using a normal relay to switch the router on and off.

My breakout board has facility for an analogue interface for variable speed drives but I don't have plans to fit one to this machine, it is also optically isolated to 2500V on all inputs and outputs, we had one customer who blew components off the board by touching it with a live mains cable, the PC nor any other peripherals were damaged, the board was repaired and returned free of charge, this is the only board in over 150 that has come back to us for any reason. The charge pump safety is integrated into the board and is seen as the wire loop at the second relay with the third relay switching the main relay on and off.

A bientot,
Greg

www.cncdirect.co.za

zoltan
04-11-2007, 04:03 AM
Hi Greg,

Any news for me?

Thank you,

Zoltan

belli
06-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi Zoltan,

Here is the parts list, just the bigger items.

Cheers

zoltan
06-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi Greg,

Thank you. I have just downloaded the file. I will check it.

Zoltan

apache405
06-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Greg-

you have a very nice machine there. i really like the level of organization you have in the control box. did you cut any grooves in the heat sink for the geckos?

belli
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi Apache,

For some reason I didn't see your post until now, the heatsink is perfectly flat on the inside and finned on the outside, with the fins being vertical to allow for better convection and no dust settling on them, the fins are about 1" deep. I put a little heatsink compound before I mount the gecko's and even with 5A on each drive the temp is seldom more than about 10 degC above ambient.

Cheers,
Greg
www.cncdirect.co.za

apache405
07-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks Greg.

harryn
07-10-2007, 01:30 PM
You can always tell a pro in the electronics build area. DIN rail components, wire tunnels, etc.

I looked at the parts list - if you have a chance later to list the electrical parts out, that would be nice as well - picking out those takes me the longest.

Take care and have fun with your build.

belli
07-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Harryn,

There really isn't much on the way of electrical items, I will post a spreadsheet but the major items are the breakout board for Mach and the the Power supply board which are standard products for me. There is a two pole isolator on the side and then I have a fuse terminal for each of the transformers, one for the steppers and one for the control. Four Gecko's against the heatsink and lastly standard 35mm DIN rail mount terminals, 2.5mm^2.

Cheers,
Greg:)

belli
07-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi Harryn,

Here is the list of the items I used in this enclosure.
The suppliers website is here: http://www.acdc.co.za/start.php
They have an online catalogue that will allow you to see what the items are and you might be able to source similar where you are.

Hope this helps,
Greg

www.cncdirect.co.za

belli
07-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi All,

I have spent the last week on my router trying to finish it, it involved moving the machine as well which was a bit of pain but not too bad. I have fitted the work surface (2750mm x 1400mm, 32mm MDF) and made the brackets for the drag chain. I made a computer table with the off-cuts of the MDF.

Real soon now......

Cheers,
Greg

www.cncdirect.co.za

mehran
07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Greate work Belli,, That realy needs yourself beside the machine at a special picture,,

Cheers....

belli
07-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi All,

I got the drag chain and mounting brackets in. Terminated all the cables, powering up and testing took only a few minutes.

Runs very sweetly, I need to calibrate the rack and pinion axes finely and then run a job of some sort. I have limited the speeds to 12m/min for all axes as this seems plenty fast.

Cheers,
Greg
www.cncdirect.co.za

zoltan
07-31-2007, 02:17 AM
Hi Greg,

Any chances for drawings of your machine? I tried to redesign it based on the BOM and the pictures you posted but did not succeed.

Thank you,

Zoltan

belli
08-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi Zoltan,

I intend to take my drawings and model the entire machine to produce a booklet which I will probably release to the www community. I need a little time to do this as at the moment I am rather busy, patience...

Cheers,
Greg

PS I have started a lathe conversion, new thread coming soon!

eloid
12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
do u have a video of it runing..... nice machine.....

belli
12-09-2007, 02:09 PM
H Eloid,

I don't have a video of it but perhaps now over the summer holidays I will get a chance. I have done little more than cut some Depron parkjets (www.parkjets.com) with it since I finished it.

Let me see what I can do.

Regards,
Greg
www.cncdirect.co.za

eloid
12-18-2007, 10:13 PM
youtake a picture of your tension control and gear box i like your set up
thinking of doing some simular

regards

Hi Joe,

Yes, you are correct. There is a threaded rod which screws into the base of the upright. This carries a nut which 'tightens' the pinion into the rack, it is adjusted up until the pinion runs smoothly across the entire travel and is to prevent the pinion 'climbing' out of the rack on a sudden reversal. Then a spring is tensioned over this which takes up just the last little bit of play, this spring is quite light and so shouldn't cause the pinion to wear out. I might add a third nut which forces the pinion away from the rack to prevent the constant pressure caused by the spring, it would only carry the load on the very lowest parts of the rack. The rack is within about 0.008" over its entire length and so I am not sure about this one.

Cheers,
Greg

tvdbon
06-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Zoltan,

I intend to take my drawings and model the entire machine to produce a booklet which I will probably release to the www community. I need a little time to do this as at the moment I am rather busy, patience...

Cheers,
Greg

PS I have started a lathe conversion, new thread coming soon!

Any progress on that booklet. I'd be very interested in building a similar machine.