PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take to build your first

justCNCit
03-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Just curious to see where people are with this challenge. Been tooling on mine now for about two years, but I notice some people seem to have gotten alot done in a short amount of time. What can be considered normal build time?

Mike F
03-03-2007, 04:19 PM
I've been about three years on mine and it's still not finished. I just don't know how some of these guys build as quick as they do. Perhaps they are not in full time employment or married :)

Mike

epineh
03-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Just under a year for me, although I am not entirely happy with the stepper setup, and am thinking of retrofitting servo's. Also a 4th axis is looking good.

Does this mean I need help...?

Russell.

rdhopkins
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
I guess it must depend on the type of machine you are building and the quality you are trying to achieve. I had a working JGRO machine after about 3 months of snatching an evening here and there. I am married with young child (who takes most of my spare time!) and in full time employment. I could have (and probably should have) spent much more time on it as I've ended up with a machine that is not play-free and entirely accurate. I'm pleased with it though and it's accurate enough to use to make machine number two...:)

Treischl
03-04-2007, 10:35 AM
How long does it take? Of course that depends on what you build, and host of other factors. I started my build on 2-24-07, you can see the progress at:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33124

I work on the machine every day. Actual work time is probably around 6 hours. I do have some other things that I take care of during the day.

This machine is built completely from scratch. It should give you an idea of how long it will take.

Xterrian
03-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I slapped mine together in about three months working in the evenings. It's accurate enough for everything I want to do. Finding parts like bearings at a reasonable price was the hardest part.